Chapter 4.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

It was the weekend and Hyori was seen kicking a soccer ball in the yard. Once or twice, she kept glancing at the house beside. It had been a week since the Kim family moved in. Hyori was surprisingly comfortable with their presence. She usually didn't open up to people easily. Maybe it was due to the fact that she had met Chen first and was comfortable with him.

Just a few days before, Mrs Yoon gave a box of homemade double chocolate chip cookies to Hyori. They were really delicious and made Hyori admire her even more. Mrs Yoon and her Mom are almost alike. Beautiful, model-like, great cooks, gentle and kind .. All things positive. The only difference was that Hyori's Mom was a housewife while Mrs Yoon worked as a model. 

Without Hyori realising, Chen was secretly looking at her from his bedroom window. He marvelled over her kicking skills as he watched her handle the soccer ball. During the few times she looked up, he would duck, blushing, thinking that she had caught him peeping, but his windows were tinted, therefore Hyori couldn't see that Chen was there. He was so engrossed watching her, he didn't notice his Mom standing outside the door, looking at him with an amused expression.

"Don't be shy to ask Hyori noona to play with you," Mrs Yoon's voice caused Chen to jerk and fall off from his awkward position. He looked really red and flustered. How did she know?

"It's .. it's not .. I wasn't .." he stammered, rubbing his neck. Mrs Yoon chuckled.

"Hyori noona wouldn't mind," she nudged him, smiling knowingly. Chen looked at her. There was a tiny flicker of hope in his eyes.

"Really?"

Mrs Yoon nodded. Chen smiled widely. "Bye Mommy!" And he darted out. She watched him go, smiling. She had never seen Chen look that happy before.

*

Hyori was still kicking the ball when a small figure suddenly appeared in front of the gate dividing the two houses. 

"Yah!" Hyori cried out in surprise, losing her rhythm. She relaxed when she saw Chen jumping up and down, trying to make eye contact with her. Apparently he was still shorter than the gate.

"What are you doing here?" Hyori asked as she went to open the gate to let him in. She was secretly pleased to see him. It was getting quite boring playing by herself.

"Mommy says I can play with you! Can I can I?" Chen beamed. Within just a week, gone was the shy boy Hyori first met. Chen was actually a playful and talkative boy. Not to mention adorable too.

Hyori chuckled. "Yeah, but how do you know I was playing? Have you been spying on me?" She teased. Chen blushed.

"I saw you looking at my house!" He said defiantly and it was Hyori's turn to blush. He grinned.

"Can you teach me how to play soccer?"

Hyori looked at him, a little startled. It reminded her about something that happened years ago.

A little girl was seen hovering near the field, staring at a lone person playing there. He was kicking a soccer ball so dilligently. She was impressed and she wanted to learn how to play like him. But she just couldn't muster enough courage to approach him, although they sit beside each other in class. However, before she could move a muscle, the boy turned and saw her. He stopped kicking the ball and gave her a smile and waved. Her heart fluttered for the millionth time that day. The boy beckoned her to join him. She did, shyly. It was so surprising to see this side of her, not when she's known as the fearless and tough one in school. To him and only him would she show her vulnerable side.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. Not in a mean way. In a curious way.

"I was just passing by," she lied. The truth was, she had been spying on him ever since he went to the field. Luckily, he was so absorbed in playing he didn't notice her and so he believed whatever she was saying. 

"I like how you play soccer," she said quickly. They boy smiled, flattered. Then, before he could say thanks, she blurted out the question she's been so timid to ask. 

"Can you teach me how to play soccer?"

"Noona?" A hand nudged her arm. "H-huh?" Hyori blinked. She saw Chen looking at her, confused.

"You were spacing out," he told her. "Oh really? Sorry, err yeah, I'll teach you how to play soccer," she smiled and Chen clapped in delight. So Hyori spent the rest of the morning teaching Chen the basics like how to dribble the ball. He was clumsy, but really good. He was determined and didn't give up.

"Noona, why do you play soccer?" Chen asked while they were taking a break.

"I like it," she simply said. 

"But girls don't usually play soccer." 

"I'm different then," Hyori shrugged like it was no big deal. Chen's eyes widened and he began to admire her even more. At that moment, another figure appeared outside the front gate.

"Hyori ah! Annyeong!" 

Hyori froze. That voice. She hurriedly wiped her sweat with her towel and ran over, leaving Chen. Trying hard not to look excited, she smiled with what she hoped was her normal smile and not her fangirl smile.

"Jihoon, why are you here?"

"You owe me ddukbokki, remember?" He grinned. "Have you had lunch?"

Hyori shook her head. 

"Then let's go!" He beamed and pulled her along. "Wait! I need to get my wallet!" Hyori cried out. "Oh okay." He laughed and let her go.

She ran in, yelled a quick bye-I'm-going-to-have-lunch-with-Jihoon-because-I-owe-him to her Mom and dashed out with her wallet, but another voice made her stop in her tracks.

"Noona, where are you going?"

Uh oh. Hyori totally forgot about Chen.

"I'm going to have lunch with my friend," she grinned. Chen looked disappointed.

"Oh, I thought .." I thought of asking you over for lunch. "Hmm?" 

"Nothing," he smiled. "Thanks for teaching me today."

Hyori beamed and ruffled his hair. "Welcome! Annyeong!" And she was off. Chen watched Hyori walking away with Jihoon. She looked really happy from her body language. Suddenly, there was a certain kind of feeling in his heart. He didn't know what it was, but he didn't like it. Sighing, he walked back to his house, closing the gate behind him.

*

Please promote my story around, gomawo. (: I'm not getting enough audience. T.T