Chapter 16.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Umma, do people change as they grow up?" Chen asked moodily without looking up, stabbing his food with his fork. Mrs Yoon stopped whatever she was doing and peered at Chen. "Physically?" Although she knew that wasn't it.

"In here," Chen pointed to his heart, "and here," he pointed to his head. Mrs Yoon sensed genuine curiosity in Chen's questions. She looked at her husband, who nodded at her. They agreed on one thing; Before Chen hits puberty, questions asked by him will be answered by Mrs Yoon. However, when things get a little too personal, Mr Kim will step in.

"Well," she began, "yes they do. They meet more people, they experience more things, they're more exposed to the world around them, and their mindset changes too."

"But what if I don't want .. what if I can't accept the change?"

Mrs Yoon smiled knowingly at him. He might not reveal his ultimate question, but she knew who he was referring to.

"People undergo puberty in their teenage years. And during that period of time, they will change, in physical terms and also in mental terms. It's part of growing up," she said gently.

"Will I be like that when I'm 13?" He asked.

"We'll have to wait till you're 13 to find out, won't we?" she chuckled. Before Chen could open his mouth, she gave him a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, Jongdae. People may change, but I'm sure they won't forget their loved ones."

*

"Ssem, are the rumours true?"

"Will this CCA close down?"

"But we won the last competition!"

"How could the school be so cruel?!"

As soon as Young Deuk and Hi-Tech stepped in, the students bombarded them with endless questions, all of them feeling wronged.

Young Deuk smiled painfully at them.

"This isn't the way I want you to know about this," he said lightly. Jaws dropped.

"SO IT'S TRUE?!" All of them cried in unison.

Young Deuk looked at his fellow teammates. How was he supposed to break it to them?

"We won the last competition, ssem. WE WON. How could they close this CCA down?" Luhan protested.

Young Deuk smiled at him. "No Luhan, this CCA closing down is not related to the fact that we won. Even the Principal tried to change our minds."

Jaws dropped even wider. "YOU ASKED THE PRINCIPAL TO CLOSE DOWN THIS CCA?!"

"Listen, hear me out before you lash out at me," Young Deuk said quickly because he saw a few shocked faces contorted to anger and accusation.

"We," he indicated the whole of Hi-Tech, "will be resigning our posts as teachers and volunteers."

That was probably the most shocking news of all.

Chen stood up. He could not bear the amount of shock anymore. 

"You better have a satisfactory answer, ssem, to make up for this rubbish you're telling us," he said with an accusing glare at his teacher. Young Deuk was taken aback. He had never seen Chen, the 24/7 happy-go-lucky student this angry before. Even he could keep his cool when Zico was around.

"Chen," he said weakly but Chen had lost his temper. He wasn't even sure why he was feeling like this. Perhaps it was due to the fact that Hyori was no longer a student there. Perhaps he wasn't spending much time with her, and he felt lonely, so he turned to his CCA, his last hope of company. Where he sing and dance to let out his feelings. Perhaps it was due to the fact that he seemed to drift away from her, and he felt that it was his fault. But .. it was probably due to the fact that performing was his passion, and he still had a few years to go before graduating. A few years to improve and rise to the top.

"No ssem, don't try to coax me. I want to hear the truth. I could do so much more in the few years I have left. I'm actually looking forward to it, and now you're telling me this CCA is going to close down. You're destroying my dreams, ssem," Chen half-yelled, tears threatening to spill. The dance studio became unusually quiet.

"Chen, this CCA will close down after your batch graduates," Young Deuk said simply. Chen blinked, rubbing his eyes.

"We're not accepting anymore students in this CCA. I'll tell you the reason why Victory or Nothing has to close down. We're getting busy," he indicated towards Hi-Tech. "As you all know, we're the backup dancers for YG Entertainment, one of the biggest companies in Korea. We could teach here because the artistes there were taking a break, preparing for their upcoming albums. There are plans that Big Bang," Chen's stomach gave a lurch, "will embark on a world tour in the few years to come. And just nice, they're doing that after you," he pointed to Chen, "graduate."

Chen suddenly became interested in his shoes.

"2NE1 will also be releasing their album, and we're welcoming Epik High into the company soon. To sum it up, like I said earlier, we're getting busy. As much as we love to teach, we have to make certain sacrifices," he said sadly. After a few moments of awkward silence, Chen broke it.

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't know, I shouldn't be so rude towards you," he mumbled. Young Deuk walked over to him and lightly punched his shoulder.

"It's okay, kiddo, I would feel the same way too," he grinned.

"Ssem, what are we gonna do now?" Ricky, a Year 6 student, piped up.

Young Deuk looked around, from the juniors to the seniors.

"We're going to make the most of the remaining time we have," he said with a glint in his eye.

*

I'm back! I was down with a lung infection and after that my laptop was virus-infected. But .. I didn't backup my files so all the fics I saved in my laptop were lost D: *rages at self* I kinda forgot how to continue this story, please forgive me for the long wait D: Are you guys still there ..?

*