Chapter 14.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Jihoon," she began. When he didn't respond, she gently tapped his shoulder. "Jung Jihoon."

He turned around, startled. "Hyori! Y-yeah?"

Hyori smiled. "I need to tell you something."

"Yeah?"

Hyori took a deep breath. "I .. I kinda like you." 

There was a stunned silence. Jihoon blinked. "W-what?"

"I like you," Hyori repeated. "I've liked you since Grade 1." Jihoon blinked at her somemore. He was unable to comprehend the sudden situation.

"T-this is a joke .. right?" He laughed nervously. Seeing Hyori's  crestfallen look, he bit his lip in guilt. "Hyori .."

"You don't believe me?" She asked quietly. Gone was the tough image she showed to everyone. In front of Jihoon's eyes was a vulnerable girl.

"No it's not that .. Hyori I'm sorry," he apologised. "I don't like you, I mean I do like you but not in that sense, not like the way you like me, you know what I mean?" Hyori nodded slowly.

"You've always been a great friend to me, we played soccer, we ate ddukbokki together, but .. I don't see you as a girl."

"What do you mean? I am a girl!" Hyori raised her voice defiantly. Jihoon stepped back, a little frightened. 

"I mean .. Hyori, I like someone else," he spoke quietly. "I confessed to her already," he smiled in spite of himself. Hyori stood there, shocked. Jihoon looked over her shoulder. "There," he said, raising his hands to wave. Hyori turned, and there was Kim Sora, heading towards Jihoon. Hyori froze. The prom king and queen, a legit couple?

"Annyeong," Sora greeted Jihoon and hugged him. Hyori felt like running away now but her feet was frozen in place. 

"Hyori, mianhae," Jihoon said apologetically. Sora looked curious. "Why?" For a second, Hyori thought Jihoon was going to tell Sora that Hyori had confessed to him. 

"She wanted to meet up to play soccer just like the old days, but I have a really tight schedule," he lied smoothly. Sora looked over. "Oh, that's too bad then," she said, not sincere at all. Jihoon gave her a little smile. At least he preserved her pride. 

"I'll get going then," Hyori said in a hardened voice, all trace of vulnerability gone. She her heel and marched towards the foyer, where she sat down and gazed into the night sky. 

From a distance away, someone had been observing the incident. He allowed her 10 minutes to wallow in self-pity before approaching her.

"Why are you looking up when there are no stars to see?" 

Hyori didn't move from her spot. She didn't even turn to acknowledge the presence of the person.

"Go away," she said. He blinked, feigning surprise. "Why? This isn't your property."

Hyori turned and to the person's surprise, she was fighting back tears. "I said go away, Zico. I'm not in the mood to talk."

Zico considered her for a moment. Then, he sighed. "Crying is so not you, Park Hyori." She glared at him. "I can't be tough all the time. Who do you think I am?" She snapped, rubbing her eyes fiercely. 

Zico slid closer to her. "A fighter," he said, staring up into the sky, spacing out. Hyori seized the chance.

"Why are you looking up when there are no stars to see?"

Zico smiled. "The sky looks more beautiful than this school." Hyori didn't say anything. Her eyes unconsciously drifted over to Zico's neck. He was wearing the gold necklace she saw back in the dance competition. 

"That," she said, pointing to his necklace. Zico looked down, and back at her. "Yes?"

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm going to ask," she said. He smirked. "Do you want them to be couple necklaces?" 

"They're not?" Hyori asked, confused. Zico laughed. "Jinjja? You really thought they were couple necklaces? Wait, you must've noticed this for a while, right? What are you doing, staring at my neck?" He grinned. Hyori blushed, caught in an awkward spot.

He smiled, seeing her stop crying. Then, Hyori asked the one question that was stuck in her mind ever since her failed confession to Jihoon.

"Do you see me as a girl?"

Zico looked at her. "With iron fists like yours? Plus your tomboy look? No way man," he joked lightly. But he saw Hyori was being serious and quickly changed tactics.

"Yah you know I don't mean it. As tough as you are, I still see you as a girl inside." 

"Really?" 

"Do you want me to make a pinky promise with you?" Zico rolled his eyes sarcastically. Hyori smiled. "Thanks."

"You were being a complete fool, though," he sighed. "Why oh why did you confess to that bastard when there's me."

Hyori froze. "You saw ..?"

"I heard too."

Hyori stood up quickly. "I'll get going then." Zico blinked. "Yah! Where are you going?"

Hyori pulled out her mobile phone and punched in Chen's house number. "Home."

*

Let me thank Renzei27 and proudvip for always commenting on my story. Thank you so much, love you guys. ^^