Chapter 24.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Good news Hyori, ahjumma has found a spot for you in my old middle school!" Mrs Yoon beamed as she waved a brown envelope in front of Hyori. Hyori smiled widely.

"Really? Thank you, thank you so much ahjumma!" She hugged her tightly.

"It's the best school I can get for you. The reputation's still as good as last time," Mrs Yoon gazed fondly into space. "Of course, the old timers remembered me and didn't hesitate to agree with adding one more student into their school, so study hard, alright?" She ruffled Hyori's hair.

In turn, Hyori nodded eagerly. "When do I start?"

"In a month's time. We have lots to do before then. Your mom will handle the paperwork."

"Then what do I have to do?"

Mrs Yoon grinned slyly. "Ask Jongdae."

*

"What am I doing here?!" Hyori wailed, shrinking lower and lower into her seat. Mrs Yoon, Mrs Park and Chen had brought Hyori out to Seoul street, a place where the shops sell trendy teenage apparels. Which were so not Hyorish.

"It's about time you get a wadrobe change," Mrs Park giggled. "MOOOOOOM!" Hyori whined.

"You wanted a new image, right? Here you go," Chen winked as he ed a cute turquiose coloured sweater into her hands. "We'll match that up with this," he pulled out a pair of black skinny jeggings and tossed it above the sweater. "One outfit done," he smirked. "I'll find more." He jogged off.

Mrs Yoon was impressed. "Jongdae may be 10 years old but he has the taste of a 15 year old."

"I want to see my daughter in dresses. One for each season, how about that?" Mrs Park clapped her hands in glee and darted off to the dress section before Hyori could protest. She sighed. 

And now Mrs Yoon was left. "Since your mother and Jongdae are picking out your outfits, I'll choose your shoes and accessories," she led Hyori to the section. "Pick whatever you like."

Hyori felt guilty. "I'm sorry, you're spending way too much on me .."

Mrs Park shook her head. "I treat you like my own daughter. You promised me you'll study well in your new school, and that's good enough for me." She held up a makeup kit. "I want to bring you makeup shopping one day, but you're too young now," she sighed as she put the kit back into its place.

Hyori smiled. She made a mental note to do really well in her new school to repay Mrs Yoon's kindness. As she browsed through the accessories, one pair of bracelets caught her eye.

"Those are couple bracelets, Miss," the saleswoman said eagerly. "Can't they be friendship bracelets instead?" Hyori asked. The salesperson blinked. "Y-yeah, they can," she smiled. Hyori smiled back. "Then I want this pair."

*

Hyori's eyes bulged when she saw that Mrs Yoon, Mrs Park and Chen carried dozens of bags each.

"H-how much did you spend on me?!" She asked, shocked. All three of them looked smug.

"Let's go!" They hollered and dragged Hyori along. Chen was estatic. He can't wait to throw out Hyori's old clothes, though he loved the tomboy Hyori just the way she was. As soon as they got to Hyori's house, Chen practically dumped the bags he'd been carrying into the sofa and darted up to her room without asking her permission.

"YAH!" Hyori had yelled but she was half-smiling. "Aish, that kid," she mumbled. Then, Mrs Park forced a few garbage bags into her hand. "Clear your old clothes up with Chen, and we'll help you with the sorting afterwards." And so Hyori trudged upstairs. When she stepped inside the room, she found Chen already hurling clothes after clothes on her bed. Then, as Chen made to open the chest beside the dressing table, it hit Hyori.

"Ohmygod don't open that chest!" She yelped, hurrying over to shield herself in front of him. Chen cocked his head in confusion. "Wae?"

"G-girl stuff," Hyori stammered, blushing furiously. Chen caught on. He coughed, blushing like mad. "Err yeah, I'm sorry noona, I'll just .. I err will go downstairs for a while-" He zoomed out and covered his face with his hands. THAT WAS THE SECOND TIME HE EMBARRASSED HIMSELF IN FRONT OF HYORI. Because he was too ignorant! His reputation was lost, all of them were gone down the drain.

While mentally hitting himself for being too ignorant, Mrs Yoon found him at the top of the stairs, practically shrinking in one corner. "Kim Jongdae, aren't you supposed to be helping out Hyori noona?"

Chen looked at her with pitiful looking eyes. "Umma .. I FORGOT HYORI HAD GIRL STUFF SO I JUST TOOK OUT ALL HER CLOTHES WITHOUT REALISING BUT LUCKILY I HADN'T OPENED THE DRAWER WITH HER GIRL STUFF!" He wailed.

Mrs Yoon giggled loudly. Chen stared at her, horrorstruck. "I'm serious!"

"You're too innocent," she ruffled his hair. "Now let's go and help your noona together. With me around this time." She chuckled at her son's behaviour.

*

"She's ready!" Mrs Park called out from inside. Chen was pacing impatiently outside Hyori's room. He perked up when he heard Mrs Park's voice. About time! He was forced to wait for about an hour already while Mrs Park and Mrs Yoon dressed her up. Seriously? One hour, just to dress up one girl?! What is wrong with the females.

"Pali!" He whined, but quietly. He was excited to see the new Hyori. Which outfit did they put her in? Just then, the door creaked open and Chen stopped in his tracks. A girl came out from the door, looking uncomfortable but pleased at the same time. Chen's jaw dropped.

"N-noona?" He gulped.

Hyori gave him a tiny smile before turning one round. "How is it?" She spread her arms. Chen scanned her from top to toe. She was dressed in one of the outfits Chen chose for her; A cream-coloured plain blouse with black skinny jeggings. To complete the look, she wore light grey low-cut sneakers and a long-chained necklace. She also bunned up her hair and let her fringe down, so she actually looked ..

Cute.

Chen blinked. His mind kept going 'Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.' Was it possible to have an even bigger crush for Hyori than he already had?

"Chen?" Hyori asked tentatively. "How is it?"

He coughed, making sure he didn't drool in front of her. Then, he pouted.

"I don't like it."

Hyori looked taken aback. "Wae? Yah, you picked this out for me!" She sounded a little disappointed.

"You're too pretty already. Many guys will like you," he whined. Hyori laughed. "So you do like it!"

Chen beamed and hugged her. "You look pretty in any outfit, I'm honest."

Mrs Park and Mrs Yoon glanced at each other, before smiling.

"Well then, Jongdae, help noona bring the bags with the used clothes downstairs. We can donate them to the needy tomorrow," Mrs Yoon ordered. "Arasso!" Chen chirped as he went into the room with Hyori.

 

 

"Chen, I have something for you," Hyori beamed. "What is it?"

"Close your eyes."

Chen obeyed. He felt Hyori slip something on his wrist. It felt like a bracelet. "You can open your eyes!"

He did, and automatically looked down. Hyori had slipped a simple but beautiful silver bracelet. It had a small figure of a blue dove. He looked at her.

"Noona ..?"

"Tada!" Hyori announced and held up her right wrist. She too was wearing a similar bracelet, with a pink dove instead. "For being the best dongsaeng in the world!"

Chen smiled, touched. He remembered Zico and Hyori wearing similar necklaces, and he didn't like it at all. But right now, he had something similar to Hyori. "Thank you, noona."

"No problem! Don't take it off unless you have to, okay?"

"I won't," he promised. Hyori nodded happily.

*

Heylo peeps! Sorry, I've been caught up with this superbly awesome ongoing drama and I kinda neglected this but I'm back! :D I actually wanted to update today and when I logged in to AFF, someone had already sent me a wall post asking me to update :P Here you go, reader-nim! (;

Oh, and did I mention I have exactly one month of holidays left before I start school! I doubt I'll have time to update then, so I hope I can update as much as I could with the one month I have left ~

Thanks for subscribing and commenting! Keep them coming! ^^