Chapter 5.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Are you going to play or not?!" Hyori yelled at Zico. Everyone was already positioned, ready to play baseball as usual, but Zico was hesitating. He probably remembered how Hyori crushed his pride the previous game. However, Hyori's words seemed to give him a boost. To win her and regain his pride. Maybe then she would shut up. He grabbed the baseball and stalked off to his position.

"Finally," she growled before taking her stand. This time, she was the first and last player in her team. "Let's win this!" She hollered at her team, who responded with cheers.

*

Predictably, Hyori's team won. Again. A frustrated Zico slammed his bat down (he was the batter in the 2nd round) and folded his arms. How the hell could he lose to a girl? 

"It's just a game," his best friend, Taeil, tried to cool him down. Zico was known to have a temper, like Hyori. But as much as both of them were similar, Zico had always been afraid of Hyori. All he could do was to vent out his frustrations at his poor best friend. Meanwhile, Hyori, oblivious to Zico's glare, was struggling with Xiumin, who again was throwing a tantrum.

"STEAMED BUNS!" He wailed. "Steamed buns steamed buns steamed buns-"

"SHUT UP! I'M COMING ALRIGHT!" Hyori yelled again. Xiumin blinked. Then, he beamed, showing off his cute aegyo. Hyori rolled her eyes. Guys. When they're hungry, it's like the demons from hell were released all at once. She slung her face towel around her neck. Suddenly, she heard Zico shouting.

"You have a mouth to speak, pretty boy!" 

Hyori whipped around and saw Zico, Taeil and their gang crowding around someone. For a moment she was frozen, not comprehending what's going on. Then she saw the familiar side-profile. Chen?! Leaving Xiumin, she hurried over.

"What's going on?" 

Zico turned around, startled, but then he smirked. "This pretty boy wasn't watching where he was going and banged into me. Then he didn't apologise. Where's your manners huh, runt?" He turned back to Chen. Hyori stared at Chen. His eyes were still fearful, but they were more relaxed when Hyori came. Hyori vividly remembered the time when Chen almost got into trouble with her, and now he was in trouble with Zico. Aish, this careless kid.

"He's probably scared of you to even breathe. The way you're looking at him," Hyori scoffed. Zico looked taken aback. His friends stood there awkwardly. 

"What's it to you? Defending him like you know him," he asked, irritated. 

"Yeah, I do know him. Problem?" She asked coolly, stepping in to grab Chen by the collar before moving him behind. Everyone froze, stunned.

"He's my dongsaeng. You bully him, you're dead," she hissed. "Now get lost!"

Zico glared at her, his fists clenching. He looked like he wanted to say something to Chen. However, seeing Hyori's glare, he shot Chen a murderous look instead. Then, he shouted at his friends to follow him and they stormed out of the field. Zico was fuming inside. First, his pride was crushed during baseball. Now, she's humiliating him in front of his friends, and that kid who's younger than him! 

As soon as they're gone, Hyori turned and faced Chen. 

"You could have been dead," she said a little harshly, adjusting his collar.

"I just wanted to see you," he said in a small voice.

Hyori softened. "I won't take care of you the next time," she warned. He nodded, looking at the grass. Oh, what bad luck he had .. Colliding into two Grade 4 students ..

Just then, Xiumin bounded over and shook his fist at Hyori. "HYORIIIIIII I WANT MY STEAMED BUNS- OOF!" He doubled over, because Hyori punched his chest. "OUCH!" He wailed. "I HATE YOU-"

"Go get them yourself," she said quietly. Xiumin fell silent for once, seeing the look on her face and her tone. Withstanding the throbbing pain on his chest, he straightened up quickly and scurried away, muttering apologies and even bowing. Chen looked at her, amazed.

"Are you always this fierce, noona?"

Hyori shrugged. "Let's get food. There's only 10 minutes before break ends."

Chen looked guilty.

"But-"

"Shut up. Let's go," she took his hand. Although Chen felt selfish for causing Hyori to ditch Xiumin, the warm and fuzzy feeling he felt inside made up for it.

*

"So .. why the sudden visit?" Hyori asked, curious, as she took a bite of her sandwich. "I mean, you have your friends right?"

Chen looked flustered.

"Yeah I have my friends, but they're not the same as you," he blushed.

Hyori laughed. "Thanks." She meant it.

Afterwards, before they separated to their own classes, Chen tugged on Hyori's hand.

"Can I spend every break with you?" He asked. 

Hyori looked at him for a moment. Her face was unpredictable. Chen started to feel uncomfortable. 

"I mean, it's okay if you can't, I'm just ask-"

"Sure."

Hyori's abrupt reply caused him to falter.

"Huh?"

"Sure," Hyori repeated, and she smiled this time. A smile that she only showed to Jihoon before, but this time, she showed it to Chen.

*

Hi, I would love to promote my story on Tumblr, but I'm not really famous there HAHA my post will prolly just be lonely there. But thanks for the suggestion ~ ^^ And most importantly THANK YOU for commenting <3