Chapter 9.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

It's Hyori noona's birthday today. I've gotten her a present, but when is the perfect time to give it to her? 

Chen had been absorbed in thinking when's the perfect time to give Hyori her present. That was one worry. Another worry was what the present was. He took a risk when he got 'that' for Hyori, although he perfectly knew that whatever he had gotten her was definitely not her type. The more he thought about it, the more he regretted his rash decision. Should he buy another present for her instead? Or should he just give the one he had with him now? And when should he give it to her? Break? 

He glanced at the clock. It was 5 minutes till break. 5 minutes to make an impossible decision for a person who likes to take things slow. Chen drummed his fingers on the desk. Otteoke?!

Just as the bell rang, Chen made up his mind. From under the desk he fished out a reaaaaaaally huge parcel (he didn't go to school with her and purposely made sure she didn't see him at all that day) and carried it with him to Hyori's class. If she likes it, I took the risk well. If not .. Ugh don't think about the negative part Chen!

Meanwhile, in Hyori's class ..

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HYORI ..
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!"

Hyori grinned as her classmates sang happy birthday to her. She caught Jihoon's eye and smiled even wider.

"I'll treat you to steamed buns today!" Xiumin hollered excitedly. Hyori stared at him in disbelief.

"Don't you ever get sick of steamed buns?"

Xiumin looked at her as if she just said something foreign.

"No." His face was blank. Before Hyori could respond, Jihoon came up to her.

"Happy Birthday, Hyori," he smiled his oh so charming smile. "T-thanks," Hyori stammered, smiling weakly. 

"Sorry I didn't get you anything ... especially after you've gotten me a birthday present ..." Jihoon looked down. Hyori shrugged it off, although her heart stinged. "No problem."

Jihoon nodded. "Do you want to play soccer with me? One on one, like we usually do," he smiled, trying to make up for not getting anything for Hyori. His eyes showed guilt. Hyori's heart literally leaped with joy. Of course she wanted to, she hadn't been able to spend time with Jihoon so far! 

"Of c-" Her answer was cut off when Zico tapped her shoulder.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" He jerked his head outside the class. Looking confused, Hyori glanced at Jihoon, who looked confused too, before following Zico.

"You'd better have a good reason for calling me out at the wrong timing." She growled when they were away from the other students. 

"Geez, can't I get a smile from you on your birthday? And I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of interrupting you at the wrong timing," He smirked. Hyori rolled her eyes.

"I have to meet up with Chen soon, make it quick," she folded her hands. Zico tried to maintain his composure when Hyori mentioned Chen's name. 

"Arasso," he talked in that lazy drawl of his. "I just wanted to give you this." From his back pocket, he fished out a small but expensive looking box. Hyori's eyes widened, her anger towards Zico disappearing.

"Happy Birthday," he pushed the box into her hands. Hyori felt guilty. "I really don't deserve this," she said uncertainly.

"Oh just shut up and accept it," Zico rolled his eyes, but he was grinning. "Seeya later. Oh, and that's a first that you didn't whack me when we're talking!" He saluted her before walking off, leaving her staring after him, clutching her present. The last person she expected to give her a present just did. She gently lifted the lid off the box and gasped. Inside was a silver fanged necklace. She looked at the direction in which Zico left. Gomawo.

Without her realising, Chen had been lurking in the dark, watching Zico giving Hyori the present. He felt a little jealous seeing her reaction. He also wanted to receive the same reaction from her, if not even bigger. And why was Zico suddenly so nice to her? Weren't the both of them like cats and dogs, always at each other's throats?

Chen was losing self-confidence. To give or not to give. Finally ..

"Noona." Hyori whirled around, startled, when she saw Chen. Her mind was still processing the fact that Zico had gotten her something. Her eyes dropped to the huge present he was carrying and her jaw dropped.

"Is that .. for me?" She whispered. Chen paused. He should pretend that he didn't see anything. It was her birthday after all. He didn't want to be a spoiler. 

"Of course!" He beamed. "Who else has the same birthday as you?"

Hyori let Chen walk over to her. "Here you go noona, happy birthday!"

Hyori placed Zico's present in her pocket and reached out to take her present.

"Wow gomawo .. you shouldn't have spent so much on me!" She chided. After a short pause ..

"Is it a plush toy?"

Chen winced. 

"You made it sound like you don't like plush toys, noona," he pouted. Which was true, a part deep inside his heart said.

Hyori laughed. "How could I not like it? Knowing it's from you, I will love it!" Chen immediately felt happier.

"So if others got you a plush toy .."

"I'll throw it back at them."

They looked at each other, and laughed. 

"Are you going to open it?"

"Are you crazy? All the girls will snatch it away from me, and I don't like people touching my presents, especially if they're from you!"

Chen's heart swelled with pride. "Then you must open it at home! I'll pester you until you do!" He threatened. Hyori grinned, hugging Chen's present against her chest.

"Yessir!" 

*

Waddup unnies! I noticed some changes AFF went through .. but I don't think they're necessary changes. What I need is for AFF to go back to the normal displaying of 'Recent stories' at the homepage. :/ They're displaying 'Stories trending today', which explains why I'm like invisible right now -.- Geez.

Angry panda is angry. Newbie authors like us are underrated T.T

Look out, TOP is angrier. He's coming. RUN.

^^ Till my next update ~!

 

P.S: You mentioned about not being able to define Zico .. & that's exactly the character I'm going for. :D YAY! I feel accomplished ;D