Chapter 15.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

Woot woot! I'm writing about Hyori in her teenage years now! Chen is still in elementary school ^^

"Noona, your hair has reached shoulder length. Aren't you gonna cut it?"

"I'm planning to let it grow. It'll be a nice change for once."

"Oh."

Chen paused for a moment. "Is it because of Jihoon's comment?"

Hyori looked at Chen. "I'd be lying if I said no .."

"Why did you let others get to you? I like you just the way you are." 

Hyori sighed. "Chen, the girls in school have been judging me, criticising me for the way I look. I'm sick of it."

"You used to not care about your appearance."

"That was before. When you enter middle school, everything's different. Everyone's different."

Chen stood up. "I'll get going, noona. I have homework to do." Hyori stared after his silhoutte and sighed.

*

Last year ..

Hyori fought back her tears as she held the phone to her ear, waiting for Chen to pick up her call.

"Noona! How did it go?" 

Hyori took a deep breath. "Can you meet me now? Just you." Something in her voice caused Chen to straightaway agree. "Noona, I'll be waiting at the park, is that okay?" Hyori nodded before ending the call. Then, without a backwards glance, she ran out of school. 

By the time reached the park, he spotted Hyori picking up pebbles and throwing them back, with a little force. He jogged over to her and sat down beside her. "Noona, what happened?"

After a second's pause, she simply said, "Thanks for coming." Chen shrugged. "Umma sensed something was wrong from my facial expression." 

Hyori gave a tiny smile. "Pabo." Then, her lower lip trembled. 

Chen hesitantly reached out to hug Hyori's waist. Though taken aback, Hyori let him hug her. She felt a lot better from before. She felt warmth spreading through her body. "Chen," she said. "Yeah?"

"Do you see me as a girl?"

Chen nodded.

"Your ideal type of girl?"

He nodded again.

"But I'm not Jihoon's type of girl. He said he doesn't see me as a girl. Why?"

Chen didn't say anything. 

"Does everyone look at me the same like Jihoon? I can be a guy's best friend but I won't be liked by them. Is that how guys think of me?"

"I don't think of you like that, noona."

"Chen, am I ugly?"

He let go of Hyori's waist and glared at her, tears forming in his eyes. "Haven't you been listening to a word I've said?! I don't think of you as a guy! I think you're pretty and I think all the guys who think like Jihoon are blind for not being able to see you the way I do!"

There was a stunned silence. Hyori bit her lip. Chen saw that. "And it's okay to cry, you know. I hate how you can be tough to everyone else except Jihoon and look how he hurt you! There are better guys than him!"

At that point, a tear fell. It had been a while since Hyori cried, but hearing Chen's words touched her so much. So she spent the rest of the night crying, and Chen patiently waited for her.

A few weeks later, the examination results were out. Hyori scored well to enter either a performing arts school, sports school or a design school. To everyone's surprise, Hyori chose design school.

"EHHHHH?! BUT I THOUGHT YOU'LL CHOOSE A SPORTS SCHOOL!" Xiumin shrieked.

Hyori smiled. "I wanted to try something else for a change. In design school, I get to do fashion design and learn about modelling, just like Chen's mom."

Yes, Hyori had been interested in modelling ever since she got to know Mrs Yoon. However, she knew deep in her heart, she chose modelling school because she wanted to create a new image for herself. 

Zico applied for a performing arts school, while Xiumin, he chose to be in the food and beverage industry. "As expected," Hyori scoffed. Zico had been awkward with her when they came back to get their results, but luckily, because of Xiumin, they were on talking terms. And as for Jihoon, he had already gotten into a sports school beforehand so it doesn't matter what results he got. Hyori did not speak to him, for pride's sake. And he was smart enough not to approach her. In fact, he didn't look like he even remembered Hyori, for he was too busy with Sora.

It seemed that the moment Hyori confessed to Jihoon was the end of their friendship.

*

Note: Hyori and Zico are not dating. (: Zico likes Hyori but Hyori doesn't like him back. Hope your confusion's cleared up ~