Chapter 23.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Have you thought about it, noona?" Chen asked, sitting on a beanbag in Hyori's room. It was after dinner (Mrs Park had asked Mrs Yoon and Chen to stay over for dinner. Anyway Mr Kim was away for a business deal.) and because they were concerned about Hyori, Mrs Yoon and Chen decided to stay a little longer. The two moms had asked Chen to accompany Hyori while they chatted. Adult talk, they had said. Not that Chen was complaining.

Hyori looked out the window. The teddy bear Chen had given her during her seventh year was on her bed. He smiled to himself in satisfaction. At least she didn't chuck it one corner. He felt happy that she slept with the teddy bear every night.

"I don't know, won't it look like I'm running away from my problems instead of facing up to them?" She asked, doubtful.

"What will you gain by going back there? You yourself said you have no one to defend you. Start over, that's the best," Chen convinced.

Hyori smiled at him. Then, her eyes turned sad. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this earlier. I just thought .."

"That I'm too young to understand?" Chen laughed bitterly.

Hyori didn't answer his question directly. "But I was wrong. You're really mature for your age."

Chen beamed. That was the best compliment he'd ever receive from her.

They were silent for quite some time. Hyori was lost in her thoughts. She had been worrying whether she could get some sleep because of what happened earlier but because of her mom, Chen's mom and Chen himself, she found that she had nothing to think about, really. Realising that all three of them were willing to go beyond their capabilities to help her, she had finally made up her mind.

"Chen."

"Noona?"

"If I were to start anew, I want everything to be new. Even my image. You know what I mean?"

To her surprise, Chen smirked. This was going as he had planned. Even better, actually. 

"I've been thinking of that way before you voice it out to me, and I know just how to help you." Hyori felt a rush of affection towards Chen.

"Will you trust me, noona?" He continued.

Hyori beamed and nodded. Chen got up and went over to stand beside her. "Pinky?"

Despite feeling grateful, Hyori rolled her eyes, but she still locked her pinky with his. "Promise."

Chen grinned. "We'll get started right after my mom finds a good school for you."

"Thanks Chen." Then, Hyori yawned. "I guess it's a cue for me to go, huh?" Chen joked. Hyori smiled apologetically.

"I'll get going then," he said. Hyori nodded and tucked herself in to bed, bringing the teddy bear close to her. "I'm sorry for troubling you, Chen. I forgot you had CCA today."

Chen smiled. "It's alright. Good night, noona."

"Nights."

*

As Chen headed downstairs, he heard Mrs Park and his mom talking. He shook his head in wonder. How long could females talk? He was about to barge in when he heard his own name in the conversation. Pausing, he crept to the edge of the stairs and stayed well-hidden and within earshot.

"Do you think Jongdae and Hyori .. liked each other?" Mrs Yoon asked.

"I have my own suspicions, but they're still too young for us to decide. They might love each other as siblings only," Mrs Park stated.

"I don't know, my mother's instinct strongly tells me he really does like her, not in the sibling way."

"Why do you sound worried? You sound like you don't approve of it."

"Don't misunderstand my statement, Ga In-sshi, it's just that I don't want any of them to get hurt."

"If it's puppy love, it won't hurt. Mi Rae ah, are you worried because Chen may actually like Hyori, who is older than him? You're worried what people might think?"

Silence.

"Mi Rae, you cannot think like that. You have to value your child's feelings over society's."

Chen listened intently. How did they know? Were his expressions too obvious?

"I know, Ga In .."

"Let's give them time. Let them enjoy their innocent love and see what happens when they grow up. Meanwhile, Hyori's new school is more important, right?"

Mrs Yoon smiled. "Yes. I'll find the best school for Hyori." "Gomawo, so so much."

Chen decided it was time to interrupt. He purposely walked with a little more noise, startling the two women.

"Jongdae! Just came down?"

"Yup, noona said she was sleepy so I left," Chen smiled. Mrs Park looked at the clock.

"Omo, it's getting late. You two should get going!"

Mrs Yoon chuckled. "We just live next to you. It's no worry at all."

And so Mrs Park sent them by the door. "Thank you so much, to the both of you," she bowed and they bowed back.

*

proudvip , even if you had a free ticket? ): I rmb offering you a free Big Bang ticket hehe. That time I really wanted you to come with me but your parents don't allow ..

Keep the number of subcribers growing and the number of comments too! ^^