Chapter 39.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

When Hyori met Zico in school the next day, she froze momentarily. Should she avert her eyes and walk past him like he was a stranger? No, that's not right. But if she talked to him and he suddenly asked about his gift, what in the world should she say? Lie? Tell the truth?

"Yah, is there something wrong with my face?" Zico chuckled. Hyori cleared . "Nothing."

Zico stared at her intently. His eyes seemed to be searching something. Hyori felt heat creeping up her cheeks. Then, Zico pouted.

"You're wearing the necklace I gave you in seventh grade, but you're not wearing the gift I gave you."

What? It was a gift and not chocolates?

Hyori's mind worked fast. She clapped a hand to her forehead. "I left it on top of my dressing table, but I was rushing to prepare for school, so I forgot," she lied smoothly. Thank goodness she's a good liar. Not the best, but good enough to fool.

As she looked at Zico, she noticed a change of expression in his eyes. But she didn't know whether she was imagining things or not, for he rolled his eyes after that.

"Make sure you wear it tomorrow, or else," he threatened playfully.

Dang. Why didn't she think of that?

"Yeah. I gotta rush for my class now bye!" She spoke in a rush and set off for the opposite direction. As Zico stared at her disappearing figure, a slow, painful smile formed.

"Park Hyori, you're a good liar," he mumbled. Putting his hands in his pockets, he trudged off to his class.

*

"Noona! Noona wait! Noona!" Chen shouted and ran to catch up with Hyori, who was evidently ignoring him. Even though he had caught up with her, Hyori was still walking.

"Noona!" Chen pleaded, panting. Hyori stopped, but did not turn back to look at him. However, there was a strange smell coming from Chen. It smelled like ..

Garbage.

Hyori slowly turned around. Her face registered nothing but shock when she saw Chen covered in rubbish from head to toe. Her eyes drifted to a shiny box he was holding in his palm.

Oh Chen ..

"Babo," she whispered.

Chen tried for a smile. "I knew what I did was wrong, so this is the only way to make things right again, right?"

Hyori didn't answer him. "Did you skip school just to find that box?"

Chen beamed. "I had to, the garbage truck will arrive in the late afternoon!"

Hyori was still in shock, but she felt touched at the same time. "Babo," she scolded him again. Chen grinned, pushing the box into her hand. "Does that mean you're not mad at me anymore?"

"Go back home and shower. And then find out from your friends what you missed out in school today." That was all she said before she walked off with the squashed box in her hand. Chen was still grinning widely. It did not matter whether he stank or not.

Hyori wasn't mad at him anymore.

*

When Hyori reached home, she straightaway ran up to her room with the box still on her hand. She flung herself on her bed, her curiosity level on the verge of exploding. What kind of accessory had Zico given her this time?

Heart thudding, she carefully opened the ruined box. For a moment, she gazed at the content of the box.

Then, she froze.

"You're wearing the necklace I gave you in seventh grade, but you're not wearing the gift I gave you."

What? It was a gift and not chocolates?

Hyori's mind worked fast. She clapped a hand to her forehead. "I left it on top of my dressing table, but I was rushing to prepare for school, so I forgot," she lied smoothly. Thank goodness she's a good liar. Not the best, but good enough to fool.

As she looked at Zico, she noticed a change of expression in his eyes. But she didn't know whether she was imagining things or not, for he rolled his eyes after that.

"Make sure you wear it tomorrow, or else," he threatened playfully.

She wasn't imagining things. The change of expression in his eyes was real. It was disappointment. He was just testing her, to see if she had really opened the box or not.

He had lied in the first place, and she had played along with his lie, so he obviously knew she was lying.

Lips and fingers trembling, she gingerly pulled out a mini card that came with the gift.

I might not be the best baker in town, but this cupcake that I baked for you is certainly edible (I made everyone taste it and they didn't have food poisoning). This ain't a perfect cupcake, but I hope it's good enough for you. Happy White Day, darling. (;

It was at that moment that tears fell.

"Zico .." Hyori whispered, looking at the clumsy but beautifully made cupcake.

"How am I going to face you tomorrow and for the rest of my life?"

*