Chapter 3.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Oh! I see a truck!" Hyori exclaimed and ran to the kitchen to call out her Mom, who was cleaning the kitchen stove. Hyori took her Mom by surprise when she turned up sweaty and muddy. When Hyori apologised for not being there to help, Mrs Park brushed it off, saying that she had already prepared everything while Hyori was still in school. She then told her daughter to shower.

"Let's greet them," Mrs Park said after tossing aside her kitchen gloves and apron and brought out two pretty-looking boxes. The larger one contained food (azalea rice cakes, potato pancakes & cupcakes) and the smaller one contained the gift (an ornament display tree). She gave the smaller box to Hyori to carry. Hyori carefully took the box in her hands before setting off with her Mom. 

"I hope they have a child of my age that I can play with!" Hyori beamed. "Well you're in luck, look," Mrs Park nodded her head over to the family that just came out from the car behind the truck. There was a man and a woman, and in between was a young boy. Their backs were facing the two Parks, but Hyori felt that she had seen the young boy before.

Suddenly, she felt nervous. She frowned. As far as she can remember, she was NEVER nervous when she had to greet new neighbours. She brushed off that feeling. She tried to reassure herself that she was only feeling nervous because she was thinking about her awesome practice session with Jihoon. But she knew deep down it wasn't true. She hadn't been thinking about Jihoon at all ever since she came back. Until that point. 

"Hyori. Hyori," Mrs Park gently nudged her dreaming daughter. "Huh?" Hyori replied, blinking. She did a double take when she caught a glimpse of the boy's side profile. Why did he look so familiar? Hyori racked her brains. She definitely saw him before, she was sure. But where?

They walked closer and closer. Hyori's heart was thumping. She mentally scolded herself for being nervous for no reason.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Han Ga In imnida, but I'm known as Mrs Park," her Mom's voice jolted her out of her thoughts. They were there. The woman Mrs Park was greeting turned and gave a warm smile. She was really beautiful, like a model.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Yoon Mi Rae imnida," she spoke, shaking hands with Mrs Park.

"Hyori imnida," Hyori bowed respectfully to Mrs Yoon, who smiled kindly and ruffled her hair.

"Your daughter's pretty, Mrs Park," she complimented. Hyori blushed. "What grade are you in, sweetie?"

"4," Hyori answered shyly. She was pleased. She hardly got compliments like that. If she ever received compliments, it's due to her athletic skills. Only that. Mrs Yoon smiled. "I have a son who is in Grade 1."

Hyori looked startled. Grade 1? That sounded really familiar ..

Mrs Park jumped in seeing Hyori looking awkward.

"We're your neighbours and we hope you have a pleasant time here. I made some food for your family. It's a tradition for us to give our new neighbours food when they move in. And here," Mrs Park took the smaller box from Hyori and passed it to Mrs Yoon, "is a gift for your house."

Mrs Yoon looked really touched as she held both boxes and beamed at her gratefully. "Thank you, I really feel welcome. Let me introduce to you my husband and son! Oppa! Kim Jong Dae! Greet our neighbours!"

The man, who was talking to the truck driver, and the boy who was following his Dad, turned at the same time and faced Hyori's direction. The boy and Hyori locked eyes. At that moment, both their jaws dropped and their eyes widened. If Hyori was still holding onto the gift box, it would definitely fall and the ornament would shatter into a million pieces. No way. No way can the world be that small. No wonder he was familiar. He's the one she collided into! Chen!

"YOU!" They cried out, pointing at each other. 

Mrs Yoon looked surprised while Mrs Park looked amused.

"You've met?" They asked at the same time, looking from Hyori to Chen. Hyori nodded weakly while Chen looked like he wanted to shrink even more. Mrs Yoon beckoned her husband and son to come over. Mrs Park bowed to the man and Hyori followed suit, although she was still in shock.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Kim Seung Won imnida, and this is my son, Kim Jong Dae," Mr Kim pointed to Chen. As Hyori stared at the three of them, she realised that good looks definitely run in this family. A model-like woman as a Mom, a handsome man with a toned body as a Dad, and a mixture of both genes can be seen in the son. It took Hyori 10 seconds before she realised that Mr Kim didn't introduce his son as Chen, but Kim Jong Dae. 

"Jong Dae? He told me his name's Chen," Hyori blurted.

Both Chen's parents chuckled. "He prefers his friends to call him Chen, but we call him Jong Dae." "Oh," was all Hyori replied.

"How did you guys meet?" Mrs Park asked curiously.

"I ran into him," Hyori mumbled sheepishly. Mr Kim laughed.

"Well, Jong Dae's lucky to earn himself a noona then!" He chortled. Mrs Yoon nodded.

"Hyori ah, you are always welcome to come over and play with Jong Dae. Treat him like your own dongsaeng, okay?" She said kindly. "Same goes for him," Mrs Park smiled. 

"Well, why don't you guys shake hands? Jong Dae, show more respect to your noona," Mrs Yoon lightly chided him. Chen nervously went up to Hyori and bowed respectfully. He was shaking from head to toe again and Hyori was fighting the mad urge to laugh. She bit her lip as she extended out her hand to him, for the second time. 

Maybe Hyori didn't notice before, but this time, when Chen took her hand and gave her a small smile, she felt all warm and fuzzy inside. Was this the feeling of being a noona, or something more?

*

Guys please don't be shy and comment on my story. I won't bite. ^^

Till my next update!