Chapter 7.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Whatever moves I've taught you, let's do it from the top now, hana dul set!" Mr Kwon instructed. His back-up dancers took their respective positions and danced in sync together with him when the music started playing. It was Luhan's and Chen's first practice session in the dance studio, along with some other Grade 4 students. Chen admired Mr Kwon very much. Before they stepped into the dance studio just now, Mr Kwon called out all the Grade 4 students to have a short prep talk with them.

"You need to show me your passion for singing and dancing here. I believe that each and every one of you has a special talent I've yet to see, and I want it to be developed as time goes by. In the studio, you can call me Young Deuk sunbaenim, but in normal PE classes, I'm Mr Kwon, alright?" 

"Yes Young Deuk sunbaenim!" All of them chirped. "Good," he replied before ushering them all in.

"Okay let's try that one more time. Hi-Tech, please stand beside one student and assist them while the song is being replayed," Young Deuk instructed his back-up dancers. "And leave Chen to me," he added. They obediently followed his orders. As the music started and each dancer corrected each student's mistakes, Young Deuk walked over to Chen, who was vigorously practicing. 

"Hey kiddo," he grinned. Chen stopped dancing. His face showed worry. Was I not good enough?

"No no I'm not here to reprimand you," Young Deuk chuckled, correctly guessing Chen's thoughts. "Continue, I want to see you dance," he gestured, folding his arms and leaning against the railing. Chen nodded and continued. As Young Deuk observed him, he had to admit .. Chen was a good dancer. He just lacked confidence. Young Deuk had observed him even before he asked his dancers to coach the students individually and he took an interest in Chen seeing him dance with so much passion. Confidence is what he needs in order for him to become a true star.

"You gotta bend down more kiddo, and spread your legs like this," Young Deuk demonstrated the move and Chen followed suit. "Yeah, that's it!" He grinned. Chen returned his smile, gaining confidence. Young Deuk ruffled his hair before moving on to observe the other students. As a teacher, he shouldn't practice biasness, but Young Deuk had a feeling that Chen would be his favourite student. 

At the end of the session, Young Deuk rounded them all up and congratulated them for making such a huge progress although it was their very first session. 

"Have a good rest and remember the dance steps. Once we finish the chorus, I'll merge you with the full team," Young Deuk announced. "Till then!"

"Annyeong sunbaenim!"

"Seeya sunbaenim!"

"Thanks sunbaenim!"

One by one, the students filed out. Luhan and Chen were the last to leave.

"Bye sunbaenim," they chorused and bowed at the same time. Young Deuk merely winked at them before gathering his stuff. 

*

Soon, it was Friday. The big day for Hyori and the netball team. The first leg of the tournament was held in her school. As the other school's team arrived, Hyori's nerves grew more and more, seeing their fierce determination. She constantly glanced at the spectator's stand, which were filled with the entire student body. She saw her class and her classmates waved at her. Xiumin was bouncing up and down while waving, and Hyori smiled. She also saw Zico and his friends. He smirked at her, which in a way, was his style of saying 'Good luck. I know you can do it.' She tried not to feel disappointed that Jihoon wasn't present in school to cheer her on. As the principal tapped the microphone, she averted her gaze to the front.

"Welcome, netball students of SM elementary! Today is the first leg of the annual netball championships in the West district! We'll be expecting lots of energy later on!" The students cheered. Meanwhile, the netball team was also going through a prep talk by their coach.

"In my opinion, this is the best netball team I've seen. So go out there and prove it to me that we're the champions!" Coach Lee hollered and the girls responded with cheers. As they prepared to go out, Hyori's eyes scanned the spectator's stand again, looking for someone that stood out.

"Oh yeah! Will you support me?"

"Of course. I'll wear something to stand out and you'll definitely notice me."

It was hard to pick out someone that stood out amongst the sea of students, but as Hyori walked out, a familiar hand tapped on her shoulder. She looked back and fought back a smile. There was Chen, looking like a neon signboard. He wore a thin neon vest over his PE attire and he wore his neon sports shoes. 

"I wasn't kidding when I said I'm gonna wear something to stand out," he laughed. Hyori beamed.

"I'll definitely spot you," she chuckled. "That's a really cool jacket, but it's a little big for you," she teased. 

"You can wear it, I think it'll fit," Chen grinned. "Noona fighting!" He added, pumping his fist. Hyori squeezed his shoulder. "Thanks Chen." 

*

"FOUL!" Hyori screamed when she saw her rival purposely sticking out her leg, causing her teammate to fall. Unfortunately, the referee didn't see anything. She was too busy focusing on the other end of the court. They were halfway through the game, with Hyori's team leading the score at 7-2. The other team must be feeling desperate to initiate dirty moves.

"Whatchu gonna do?" The girl sneered at Hyori, who had run over to pick her teammate up. Her knee was bleeding.

"TIME OUT!" She yelled, getting the referee's attention. The referee hurried over and muttered her apologies before leading the injured teammate over to the bleachers. Hyori's school was booing the other school. She was fuming, glaring at the girl. Xiumin, Zico and Chen held their breaths. They knew what that look on Hyori's face meant. Chen clasped his hands together. Noona, don't get disqualified.

Hyori was a person who took care of her teammates well, being the team captain. She could not stand foul play. Therefore, not caring that she was in front of a huge crowd, she marched up to the rival and grabbed her by the collar.

"Listen, you either play fair and square or you don't play at all," she hissed. The taller girl looked like she wanted to push Hyori to the ground, but luckily, their respective teammates knocked some sense into them.

"That's enough. We don't want you to get disqualified," Shiyeon pleaded with Hyori. Glaring one last time at her, Hyori let go of her collar. 

"You need to get your head in the game. Beating them is the only way to earn satisfaction," Yejin, another teammate, coaxed her. Hyori took a deep breath and nodded. 

After that small chaos, the game continued. Hyori knew her team needed to win in the first leg so that they'll have a higher chance of eliminating SM elementary, and after that foul play incident, they were persistent on attacking, leaving their rival team to helplessly defend. 

Then, the final whistle blew and Hyori's team erupted in cheers. They won 11-5! They rejoiced with Coach Lee and the left side of the school screamed and cheered while the right side looked gloomy. Hyori caught the girl who foul played earlier and smirked. The girl scowled. "There's still second leg!" She warned. Hyori shrugged nonchalantly and turned her back.

In the midst of cheering, Chen had come down to give Hyori a hug. "Noona you were awesome!"

She laughed. "I can't be too complacent though. And you don't mind hugging me? I'm all sweaty now!"

Chen shook his head. "You're still my noona."

Hyori's heart softened.

*