Chapter 11.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Okay team, that was superb. If you still have any doubts, I will stay back for 30 minutes to help you. For the ones leaving, have a good night's rest," Young Deuk announced. 

"You coming?" Luhan asked as he slung his bag over his shoulder. He was already by the door. "Go ahead," Chen mouthed. He needed help alright. On how to control his nerves. He hesitantly took a step towards Young Deuk but he appeared busy talking to some of Chen's seniors. Chen bit his lip. I should wait for ssem to finish first, but if I do so, 30 minutes will be gone.

"Nervous huh?" Zico smirked, wiping his hair with his towel. He wore a black tee for today's final practice. Chen didn't notice this before, but now that he was face-to-face with Zico, the necklace around his neck caught his eye. Somehow it looked really familiar ..

Zico caught Chen's gaze and smirked again. "Like it?"

Then, it hit Chen. "Hyori noona has the same necklace, but hers was silver. You gave it to her," he blurted. Zico chuckled as he absent-mindedly played with his gold-coloured fang necklace. "Ever heard of couple necklaces, kid?" Chen frowned. Couple necklaces? But Hyori didn't mention anything about being a couple with Zico .. or did she keep it a secret? 

Seeing the look of confusion on Chen's face, Zico grinned and lightly flicked his forehead. "Yah, get your head focused for tomorrow. You won't be seeing me after that. Won't you be happy then?" Chen privately agreed, but Zico's words kept nagging at the back of his head.

"Is it true? You and Hyori noona?" He asked before he could stop himself. Then, he looked at Zico fearfully. Zico smirked. This kid is so obvious to read.

"It's a one-sided love," Zico sighed. Chen grew even more confused. Just then, Young Deuk came over.

"Do you have any doubts, Chen?" He asked kindly. Chen opened his mouth, but Zico jumped in.

"He asked me for help, ssem. We'll be staying back for a while longer to practice, is that okay with you?" Chen's jaw dropped. What? Since when did that even happened? Chen's expression gave him away. Young Deuk frowned at Zico.

"Are you sure? He looks like death now." "He's suffering from nerves. I'll help him get over it," Zico said confidently. Young Deuk looked a little worried. If he left them alone, Zico might beat Chen up. But it could also be Zico and Chen actually getting along ..

"Alright," he said as he tossed the room's keys to Zico, who caught it perfectly. "If I don't see Chen tomorrow I'll make sure you disappear too," Young Deuk warned. "Yes ssem," Zico rolled his eyes. Before Young Deuk left, he ruffled Chen's hair. "You're gonna do great tomorrow. And tell me if this hyung bullies you," he smiled before walking out. Chen wanted to scream 'Don't go, ssem! He'll kill me!' but Zico placed his hand on Chen's shoulder. 

"Come on kid. Ssem wouldn't like it if his potential star student threw up in front of the audience tomorrow."

Utterly confused, Chen merely trailed behind Zico. One moment, Zico's sarcastic and all. The next moment, he's being nice. Was he bipolar or something?

Zico the music they'll be b-boying to for tomorrow's dance competition. He stood in front of Chen. "Give it your best shot."

Chen grew even more nervous. What was he trying to do? Zico rolled his eyes before turning off the music.

"The judges will penalize you for freezing on the spot when you're supposed to dance. Do you want to look like a fool tomorrow and cost us our victory?" He snarled. Chen shook his head. "If you're still nervous around me, how are you going to face a hundred strangers? I'm just one person and you can't even move a muscle? How have you been getting through practice all this while, huh?" 

Chen looked down. That was because he wasn't near Zico in their final formation. In fact, they were on opposite ends. And he wasn't paying attention to his surroundings at all. Right now, all he felt was .. he didn't even know. If the team lost, it would be his fault.

"Look up, kiddo." Chen did. "You have the moves. You have the spirit. You just don't have the attitude," Zico said. "When you do breakdancing, you gotta have that level of confidence. Confidence, not complacence. With that confidence, you'll appear arrogant all right, but the kind of arrogance that people accept in breakdancing. Which makes us who we are. Now that attitude is something you gotta work on. They don't like nice guys in b-boy."

Chen blinked. "But I don't wanna be a bad boy." Zico chuckled. Oh god, this boy is so innocent.

"Who says you have to be a bad boy 24/7? All I'm saying is you just have to be a bad boy when doing hip-hop. Other than that you can be the pretty boy you've always been," he smirked. Chen pouted. "But you're a bad boy .. 24/7."

"Ouch?" Zico pretended to look hurt. "No kid, I'm a nice guy, but I had this attitude even before I joined hip-hop. Nuff said, I had the full package. Which brings us back to you. I'll show you my moves, and you'll have to do even better, or else we're not going home." Chen's eyes widened.

Zico grinned. "So if you don't want to stay with me, make sure you aced it within one try. I won't let you go till I'm satisfied." Without further ado, he pushed Chen aside and the music. "Watch and learn."

Chen was entranced when he saw Zico's smooth moves, his facial expressions. Everything about him was perfect. He could feel the aura oozing out from Zico's dancing. That's what Chen wanted too. Zico didn't even make a mistake throughout. And as Chen compared his dancing to Zico's, he realised he had a lot more to learn. Finally, Zico finished dancing. 

"Your turn," he tilted his head. Chen gulped. Then, he saw Zico looking smug. "Aish, you want to look like a fool in front of Hyori? I'm fine with it, as long as I'm not like that." That did it. Chen's expression hardened. His pride was at stake. He could not allow Zico to make him feel lower than he already had. And he ultimately did not want Hyori to be disappointed in him. On cue, Zico turned the music on and Chen started dancing. Dancing out all his frustrations. Dancing to express, not to impress. Dancing because it was his passion. 

"Expressions, kid!" Zico called out. Chen gritted his teeth and mustered his baddest bad boy look. "Ooh," Zico whistled, impressed. That somehow gave Chen confidence and he continued this newly found spirit until the end of the song. He huffed and puffed. Zico watched him for a while. Then, he did something unexpected. He clapped.

"Maintain it and we'll win," he grinned. "How did it feel? Good?" Chen was stunned, but his face broke out into a grin. "Yes it felt good." Zico merely nodded before packing up. "I'm satisfied. Now scram before everyone goes after my blood." "Thanks .. hyung." Chen beamed, his anger with Zico gone. Zico froze for a brief second.

"Don't cosy up to me. I still like bossing you around," he grunted. Chen nodded before leaving. He was practically skipping. Zico watched after him and his heart softened a little.

Meanwhile, Chen thought about today's weird experience with Zico. Somehow, he didn't seem so bad after all.

*

Hey guys, sorry I took a break from writing for a while after completing my Chandara fic. I was also settling my courses and my network was down for a few days. Y'all still there? Haha. ^^ Anyway, ask me any questions here ~

http://ask.fm/chunderella

P.s: Did you guys get what I was trying to say about Zico in this chapter? I want you guys to see that he is a nice person, it's just that he has his own indirect ways of showing care. Hope you get it ^^