Chapter 17.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"So your CCA's closing down AFTER you graduate?" Hyori asked, looking over at Chen with concern.

"Yeah," Chen said. "I embarrassed myself, I sort of shouted at ssem before he told me it's closing down after I graduate .." his voice trailed off and he looked down in shame.

Hyori looked at him in disbelief. "Chen, losing his temper?"

He sighed, raking his fingers through his hair. "Noona, I don't know what's happening to me. I feel so restless and frustrated and confused lately."

Hyori chuckled. "You're not even 13 and you're experiencing mood swings?"

Chen pouted. "I'm being serious!" 

Hyori smiled at him. "Come, let's get ice-cream to cheer you up," she stood up. "My treat," she added, seeing Chen hesitate. Instead of jumping up and agreeing straightaway, he looked even guiltier. "You're always treating me, noona."

"It's nothing much!" She smiled and put out her hand. Chen looked at it. It reminded him so much of the first time he met her. He took it, and grinned.

*

"Are you feeling better?" She asked as she on a lime-flavoured popsicle while Chen slurped on a chocolate cone. He smiled and nodded, Hyori's presence was enough to cheer him up. Just then, Hyori stiffened. A group of girls passed by them. One of them looked over.

"Oh hello Hyori," the girl said in a false bubbly cute voice. Chen was resisting the urge to puke. He could tell it took Hyori all her willpower to not retort. But why? Hot-headed Hyori who was known for shutting Zico up, now cowering like a mouse?

"Fei," she said lightly, although her eyes were cold. Fei's eyes lingered on Chen. Judging him.

"Boyfriend?" She asked. Although she sounded more like she was sneering at her.

"My dongsaeng," Hyori's voice was still light and casual, but now she sounded a little strained. It was Chen's turn to stiffen. Again and again she called him his dongsaeng. However, he didn't say anything.

"Ah," Fei replied, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. But she was being ironic by asking that question in the first place, right? "We should get going now. Seeya," she smirked at Hyori, scanning her clothes before tossing her hair and walked off with her giggling friends. As soon as they were out of sight, Hyori relaxed and breathed in deeply before her popsicle; it had started to melt.

"Are those your classmates, noona?" Chen asked, trying to forget the fact that Hyori introduced him to them as her dongsaeng. Then again, what else could she call him? 

Hyori nodded but didn't elaborate. 

"Are all the girls in your school like that?" Chen pressed on.

"Most of them," she said, not looking at him.

After a long silence (they quickly finished up their melting ice-creams), Chen opened his mouth.

"Were they the ones who made fun of you when you first started school?"

Hyori sighed. Chen took it as a yes.

"But why didn't you do anything? You could beat Zico hyung up but you can't do anything about them."

Hyori didn't say anything. She wanted to let out all her feelings to Chen, to let him know what's troubling her lately, but somehow she couldn't. He was still too young to understand these things. And Hyori .. Hyori was never the one to tell her problems to people. 

Chen tried again. "Noona, is middle school really that bad?"

"It's not. But the people make it bad."

"I don't want to go to middle school."

Hyori snorted, a hint of her old self coming back. "Don't be silly. You need a high level of education to survive."

"Noona, are they still hurting you?" Chen asked abruptly, causing Hyori to get flustered. "Well, are they?" He studied her. "They must be, if not why did you let your hair grow? Your fashion hasn't changed but I bet it will change soon. Am I right, noona?"

Hyori didn't answer, but her expression hardened for a fleeting moment.

"Look at your clothes, are you sure you're a girl?"

"And your hairstyle, like, ew? Girls should have long hair like us!"

"Guys wouldn't fall for you, tomboy."

"Who would want to even have a crush on you?"

Then she grinned. "No, you're just overthinking, kiddo. Not bad not bad."

He let the matter drop, but Chen could tell she was lying. He wanted to help her. He could not bear to see her hurting inside, and the worst part is to not let it out to anyone. And he knew just how to do that.

*

Chen has so much to think about, huh? From his CCA to Hyori .. aww ~ & thanks y'all for still being here! While I'm still on holiday I'll update as much as I can! When my school starts I'll be real busy D: Oh, and to Renzei27, thank you so much for nominating me for the AFF Exo awards thingy, I'm really honoured and touched (': Well .. bye for now! (;