CHAPTER 1: SOUL MATE

❖~Rubik's Cube~❖

 

 

-Some years later-

 

            One of the biggest and top companies in the city is the HDY (Han Dong Yeon) Chaebol Company. The Lee Family is the one leading and running the company. Starting with the President Han  Chung Ae, since the death of her husband because of heart attack she took over his husband’s business which is also joined by her family’s business. She is a mother of two who are the Vice President and the Director of HDY. The Vice President is Lee Ji Won and the Director is her younger brother Lee Taecyeon. Lee Taecyeon would be mark as a pearl in the company he is very hard working and brought a lot of sales in the company in the past few years. Just like in his High School days he is still famous of his beasty looks but with gentleman attitude. That’s why a lot of girls are falling for him but like before he’s not that interested in them. 

 

          

            HDY has an airport, mall, hotels and they also distribute their own rice outside the country. HDY is mark one of the top 5 best Company in Asia right now and is in top 10 in the world. The top people in the company are on a meeting right now for another monthly report. Everything is going well and everyone is praising Taecyeon and Ji Won for a job well done in exporting a lot of rice. Since it’s their new product they are very impressed that they were able to export it in other Asian countries. But the person who got more praises is of course the President, Mrs. Han. She is considered a dragon of the company because she’s such a fighter. She may look so calm and proper but when she speaks her tongue is like a sword that could cut someone’s heart. 

            The president gave a speech praising the employees and her children but in the end of her speech she also said that she can still see a lot of lazy and worms in the company that’s why she decided that by tomorrow she doesn’t like to see them again. Her secretaries came out and gave them the lists of employees she wanted to fire to the Team Leaders of each department. With trembling lips no one even dared to say something even if they already saw their name on the list. After her speech Taecyeon stood up and ask a small favor from everyone.

Taecyeon: I’m very thankful to all of you and I’m very happy to be in this position but…I want to start from the bottom. If it’s okay with everyone I want to be a Team Leader of the Mall Department.

Ji Won: But we already have a Team Leader there.

Taecyeon: I know. That’s why I’m asking Team Leader Kim to be my personal adviser.

            He bowed to Mr. Kim who is already on his 60’s and looks really weak to work. Mr. Kim looked at him and he will answer him when Mrs. Han cut him.

Mrs. Han: Are you sure about this?

Taecyeon: Yes, Mrs. President. It’s my father’s very first business and I wanna at least be part of it.

            Mrs. Han look into his eyes and she saw his determination.

Mrs. Han: Then starting tomorrow you will be their Team Leader.

Taecyeon: Is that okay Mr. Kim?

Mrs. Han: No need to ask him. He already gave me his resignation letter.

                I think there’s no more to talk about. The meeting is over.

            Everyone left the meeting room except for the Lee Family.

Ji Won: Mom, you don’t have to say it in front of everyone. Especially that you just forced him to resign.

Mrs. Han: What’s wrong with that? They will eventually find out.

Ji Won: But…

Mrs. Han: You know you are intelligent and beautiful but you’re lacking with fierceness. You won’t be able to succeed in this life if you will be like that.

            The President left first leaving her children there.

Ji Won: Psh. Why is she like that?

Taecyeon: Well, she’s always like that.

Ji Won: Yah! Why you did not tell me about your plan?

Taecyeon: Why?

                   If I told you that you will oppose right away!

Ji Won: Why not? You are really good to be a Team Leader!  Who’s going to take your place now? Remember we have a very tough competition.

Taecyeon: Don’t worry it’s just a few months it’s not like I’ll be gone forever.

            Ji Won reach and put her arms around his brother’s neck then knocked his head hard and so Taecyeon cried in pain.

  Ji Won: That’s for not telling me!

            Ji Won composes herself and stare at him seriously.

Ji Won: Tell me; is that only your reason?

Taecyeon: (Sigh) that is really my reason but it’s also because I need time.

Ji Won: Time for what?

Taecyeon: You know what I mean.

            They look at each other like they are already understood each other.

 


            Everyone is busy in the city especially the employees going to work, students going to school and other people doing their stuffs. One of the busy people in the city is Jung Jessica. She is looking for a job for a month now since her graduation in college majoring in theater and film. When she auditioned in one big television company she got rejected because of the angle of her face, they said that she looks snobbish. So she tried it again to another television company now as an employee but then again she got rejected because one of the interviewee finds her cold. Jessica went to places in the city looking for a job, if not because of her lack of experience most of the time they don’t hire her because they don’t like her impression or if ever they will suggest a job for her it doesn’t suit her at all.

            Anyway, Jessica is a grown up lady now. She has a long brown styled hair, she is even more gorgeous and she has a beautiful sense of fashion style. However like before she doesn’t smile that often that’s why the people around her always give her a wrong impression. She sat in a ramp in front of a small building all worn out then she thinks of calling her best friend. 

 

Yuri: Jessica-ah! Where are you? You said you’re going to help me move?

            Just like Jessica, Yuri is also a lady now. She’s still tomboyish but also a head turner when she passes by. She’s moving some things in her new business. Since she’s a patisserie Yuri decided to rent a stall for a cake shop. 

Jessica: I can’t make it there now. I still need to find a job.

Yuri: They did not take you again?

Jessica: Yeah… (Sad tone)

Yuri: It’s because you have to smile. I told you a thousand times to smile.

Jessica: How can you smile if you’re nervous at the same time?

Yuri: Aish!

Jessica: Yuri, what should I do?

Yuri: I’m sure you’ll find the right job for you. Don’t worry.

            While speaking with Yuri, Jessica started to walk and crosses the street but before she even gets to the other side of it a car showed up and bumped her! She dropped her phone and her papers as the car hit her. Fortunately the driver quickly presses the break that’s why it’s not that strong. The driver went over to her and helped her up; he also took the papers and her phone and gave it to her. He apologized right away but Jessica is not in the mood to just let him go especially she got some scratches in her knee. She faces him and gave him her icy glare that any person would dare to look. However, suddenly she was taken aback of his face. Jessica gulps with wide eyes as she looks into her first love. He did not change a bit from his sheepish eyes, beautiful chocolate skin and to his jaw line.

Jessica: A-are you? I-is this r-really you? (She said stuttering)

            Taecyeon did not get what she said but he also thinks that she looks familiar. However he gets distracted by the way she glares at him. It gives him a tingle in his spine that made him frozen in his place.

Jessica: Is this real? Sunbae, Taecyeon is here… (She whispered)

Taecyeon: Do I know you? Who are you?

Jessica: Sunbae! This is Jessica. I… gave you a…l-lollipop wh-when you graduated.

            When she said lollipop it click to him right away.

Taecyeon: Oh, it’s you? Jung Jessica?

Jessica: Omo, you remember!

Taecyeon: Because you told me to remember your name, that’s why.

                   Anyway, are you okay?

            He said while looking at her wounded knee but Jessica does not care about it anymore. Taecyeon told her to stay put and he will just buy a medicine for her wound. While waiting Jessica’s heart is still beating so fast, she can’t believe that after long years of waiting she saw him again and was able to have a conversation with him. For others they will think what happened a while ago is an accident but for her it’s destiny.

            Taecyeon came back and quickly cleans her wound and put a band aid in it. She can’t stop staring at him as she watches him aiding her wound. Jessica also notices that they have the same pendant, a Silver Star pendant. Taecyeon had to wave his hands in her face just to wake her in her wandering thoughts.

Taecyeon: Spacing out?

                    Well, there…done.

Jessica: Thank you, Sunbae.

Taecyeon: Why are you thanking me? I hit you, remember? (He gave her a weak smile)

                   By the way I saw…your papers…are you looking for a job?

Jessica: Ah, yeh.

Taecyeon: Would you mind giving me a resume?

Jessica: W-what? Y-you’re asking me for…a resume?

Taecyeon: Yes, if it’s okay with you to work in our company?

            Jessica can’t respond right away thinking that he’s just joking around but Taecyeon did not waited for her reply and took one of her resume in the folder. After giving it a glance he faces her again.

Taecyeon: I know doing this here is very informal but I still need one person in my team so…if you’re interested just come tomorrow.

            Taecyeon gave his number to her since he doesn’t have a calling card that time. Then he got back to his car and drove off. Jessica can’t contain herself and squeal because of happiness. She quickly took a taxi and quickly went to her best friend to tell her the good news.

 


 

[Cake Shop]

Jessica: Yuri! You won’t believe me.

Yuri: Just say it.

Jessica: Taecyeon, Sunbae. I saw him a while ago! He’s still handsome and very kind but more gorgeous and manly now! And you know what we’re really a soul mate because I notice we the same pendant!

Yuri: Really? Are you sure it’s not your imagination playing with you?

Jessica: I’m not insane; I know what’s real and not. Here’s another one he asks me if I could work with their company?

Yuri: Omo! Daebak! Really?

Jessica: Yeh.

Yuri: But wait a minute their company is not a broadcasting station. How are you going to survive their? Did he see your resume?

Jessica: Yes, he did. I can do it! I will do everything to survive in that company. But…I don’t know anything about handling businesses

            She took a sigh and looked down depress after realizing what she’s entering to.

Yuri: Cheer up! Don’t worry; I’ll give you the book that I read about businesses.

Jessica: Do you think this would help me?

Yuri: Of course, but you have to read it and finish at least 5 chapters today. Can you do it?

Jessica: (Full of determination) Of course!

            And so she spends the rest of the day reading the book and because she is really inspired to study the basics of business Jessica was able to finish 10 chapters of the book. Her eyes are in strain after reading it so she rested for a while and decided to go out and buy a coffee to relax. Jessica ordered the usual a decaffeinated coffee and a piece of cake; while waiting for her order she noticed the new picture of her bias in the famous girl band Twin Generation in the bus promoting their comeback. There are only two members of the band, her bias is Yoona she is considered the image, dancer and the actress of the band while the other one is Seohyun, who is the vocalist, maknae and the dancer of the pair. They complement each other that’s why they are really famous. They’ve won a lot of number one in charts and music stations. Also, they are also famous in other Asian countries, Australia and some parts of America and Europe. 

 

Jessica: Oh, She’s really pretty.  

Clerk: Ma’am, your coffee and cake.

            She faces her, took her order and sat in her usual spot beside the window. Jessica stayed there for an hour only and she went back to her apartment which is just a walking distance from the coffee shop. While walking Jessica still can’t believe what happened to her today. Everything went so fast and if she could turn back the time she will replay her moment with him again and again. It’s already late at night and it’s already cold outside so she puts her hands inside the pocket of her sweater. But then she felt something is strange, she searched something inside the pocket but she did not find her phone. Only her wallet is there so quickly Jessica runs back to the coffee shop and look for it but it’s not there.

Jessica: This can’t be happening! He’s number is in that phone! Aish!

            Even if it’s already late she went to Yuri’s house and asks her to lend her phone. Still sleepy Yuri gave her phone and did not demand any explanation and just went back to sleep. Jessica stayed there in her best friend’s apartment and called her phone. No one’s answering the call and she dialed it three times until when she’s losing hope that her phone got stolen a sleepy voice answered the phone. She jumped off the couch as soon as she heard that someone picked up.

Jessica: Who is this?

Guy: Yah! Who is this? It’s already late, why are you calling? What do you want?

Jessica: If you do not know, that is my phone. I’m begging you please return it.

Guy: What?

Jessica: Just check it. You will see my picture.

            The guy looked at it and in his surprise it’s not his phone, he then realized that he left his phone in the house when he went to the coffee shop.

Guy: This is not mine. But how?

            That’s when he remembered that he was behind this lady in the picture in the coffee shop. After she ordered it’s already his turn and he only asks for a piece of cake which they gave right away then he was about to go out when the clerk called him and gave the phone, thinking it was his he took it without any bad intentions.

Guy: Okay, I’ll give this back to you. When?

Jessica: Now. I need it.

Guy: Y-you mean right now?

Jessica: Yeh, Right now. N.O.W

            They’ve decided to see each other outside the coffee shop. The guy looks at himself at the mirror. He has brown wavy hair, with a mix of a tender and manly charm. Yes, he is Lee Donghae the invisible boy but now an independent guy who left his past and is now leaving alone with his best friend in an apartment. Donghae is more comfortable with his life now after he gets his freedom just a year after he graduated in college. Well, actually he ran away from home, no one even cared to call him back except his half sister Ji Won but even her did not made him go back to that house that he never considered a home. Donghae stopped the search for his mother after learning that she’s dead but it did not stop him to search for his mother’s family so that at least he could meet them and also to know where his mom’s grave is. 

 


 

 

[Outside the Coffee Shop]

            Jessica is the first one to arrive as she can’t wait to hold on her phone again. It’s good she did not wait that long as Donghae arrives after a few minutes. Because of the picture in her phone he was able to recognize her right away.

Donghae: Miss, are you the owner of this phone? (Showing it to her)

Jessica: Yes! (She quickly snatches it). Why do you have to do that?

Donghae: What?

Jessica: Don’t steal just for money. How can you sleep after what you did?

Donghae: Yah! Stop it!

Jessica: Don’t worry I will not call the police but please don’t do this again.

Donghae: Do you think I stole that? Huh, this girl is really annoying…

               It’s all just a misunderstanding, okay? They gave me that and I thought it’s my phone.

 

Jessica: How’s that possible that you do not know your own phone?

Donghae: It’s because I forgot that I forgot my phone then we have the same phone and third I did not look at it.

Jessica: Really? You did not steal it?

Donghae: You know instead of blaming me why not say thank you? That’s much better.

            She looked at him scrutinizing and thinks that he is telling the truth so she followed what he said.

Jessica: Thank you.

Donghae: You’re welcome.  (He said in a sarcastic way)

            Then he took off leaving the girl who also walks away and goes to the opposite direction.

 


 

Today is her first day in her first job and Jessica is too excited that she put on her best office clothes. But before she goes to work she gave her father a call to tell him about her new job. Like her Mr. Jung is also happy and excited for her daughter.

            When she got their Jessica walks in like a boss (though she’s not intending to do it) and the employees who are there look at her curiously. They are wondering if she’s a visitor, an inspector, or a member of Lee Family.  After asking for directions she reaches the room of the Mall Team. All eyes on her when she opened the door, there are 4 people (two guys and two girls) in the room and none of them looks familiar to her.  She walks in and sat down on an empty seat and from her seat she can see their names in their IDs.

Jessica: Seoni, Min, Gaeri and Pil (She said in herself)

            Seoni is the lady with glasses and is an old fashion while Min is on her late 30s but still with sense of style. Pil is a fine-looking 30 year old single guy while Gaeri is on his early 40s and has a family. There was an awkward atmosphere in the room because it’s all their first time to see each other. They are all waiting for one person and it did not take long for him to come. Taecyeon came in with a wide smile on his face.

Taecyeon: Good Morning everybody. I’m happy to see all of you here. (Then he took his seat)

                    I will be your Team Leader and my name is Lee Taecyeon. I believe this is our first encounter because this is a new team so…can you guys introduce yourself.

Gaeri: I am Gaeri. I am very pleased that Mr. Taecyeon chose me to be part of this new team.

Seoni: (She adjusted her glasses first) my name is Seoni. I’ve been here for 3 years now. Nice to meet you all.

Min: I am Min and I worked here for 10 years now. I am happy to be part of this team.

Pil: My name is Pil. I hope that I’ll enjoy this new team.

Jessica: Ah…Hello. Good Morning. I am Jessica and…and…nice to meet you all. (She said with a slight smile)

            There was a moment of silence after she introduced herself and Taecyeon was the first one to speak up.

Taecyeon: Maybe you are all wondering why I created a new Team and did not stick with the old ones. It is simply because I want something refreshing. But don’t feel uncomfortable about the old employees because I’m sure they are happy with their positions.

                    Well, let’s go down with the business. Aside from the usual things, here are yours specific roles in this Team.

            The folders are distributed and everyone looked at it. Everyone look please with their roles but it’s only Jessica who doesn’t really understand what is written in the folder. One by one Taecyeon explained to them their responsibilities until it is Jessica’s turn.

Taecyeon: Well, as for you Jessica you will be responsible for the promotion. You are major in theater and arts that’s why I gave this job for you. Can you do it?

Jessica: Ah, Yeh.

Taecyeon: Okay! So any questions?

~Silent~

Taecyeon: Then let’s all see each other after work, I’ll treat you all for dinner.

            After Taecyeon left everyone goes and pick their own desk and started to do their jobs except for Jessica who left observing all their actions then Seoni notices her.

Seoni: What are you doing?

Jessica: Ah…

Seoni: You can have that desk. (Pointing at the available spot)

Jessica: Thank you. Ahm…Seoni, may I ask something?

Seoni: What?

Jessica: Can you explain this part for me?

Seoni: You could search for it, internet is free. (Irritated)

            Just when Jessica thought she found a buddy in her first job, Seoni snob her, walk off and do her thing. Jessica is again alone in her desk and started to search more about her job. During their break her colleagues went out together while she left alone there. However, she also founds a new friend with an old lady who’s a caretaker of the company.

Caretaker: Beautiful girl, why do you look sad?

Jessica: Thank you…

Caretaker: For what?

Jessica: For asking. I feel so alone and rejected again. But you came to ask me. (She said politely)

Caretaker: (Sigh) you know, some people here doesn’t know how to appreciate. They will also do anything to get the position that they want.

Jessica: But I’m sure you’re different from them.

Caretaker: I also think the same way with you. Thank you. (Smiles)

 


[After Work in a Restaurant]

            Taecyeon treated everyone for a dinner for their Team Building.  It’s in a restaurant and a lot of foods are served to them. They are having a great time even Jessica is happy by just sitting there watching Taecyeon. They talked about all sort of things until Pil ask about Taecyeon’s love life. Everyone was quiet and curious to know as if it’s a fairy tale story. Jessica is the most curious among all of them because all she knows is that he never had a girlfriend but that was in high school and she did not hear anything about him after his graduation.

Taecyeon: (Sigh) I don’t have any love life.

            That made a smile in Seoni and Jessica’s faces.

Taecyeon: But…I’m still in love.

Seoni: With who?

Taecyeon: With my first love…but…I broke her heart.

Jessica: You broke up with her?

Taecyeon: Yeah.

            Everyone is silent after his answer and the atmosphere became awkward and so Gaeri decided to change the topic.

 

 

 

This is the official Chapter 1
Thank you for reading!  Hope you enjoyed it!

What do you guys think?
Please, please do comment. I really need your comment.
Tell me your thoughts and opinions about it.

 

 


 

 

Quote for today:

"NO ONE CAN OUT-SIN THE GRACE OF GOD"

GOD BLESS YOU!