Just Drop The Topic.

You're Such a Geek, but I Like You

Sang Ki POV

I said it. I breathed out. I actually yelled it at him. Sorry Gongchan, but…it had to be done. I don’t want anything happening…like what happened back when I was younger. My heart tightened at the memories. No. I have to forget about that time. Don’t think about it.

As I thought, a paper ball flew onto my desk. I opened it, reading- Whoa Sang Ki-ah! You actually said it! I didn’t think you would, maybe your past came to your head?

The past? He’s not talking about… I wrote a note back- What do you mean the past? Do you…know? …just….don’t talk about it.

A reply came a few minutes- …Yeah I know about what happened to you in middle school…I know you probably don’t want to talk about it, but I…sorry.

He knows. I bit my lip. I wrote again- How do you know…? Never mind please don’t talk about it. Yes, it did go through my mind when I yelled at Gongchan-ah. But don’t discuss it with me. It’s not a light topic even after a few years.

He didn’t respond back. I raised my hand. “Teacher, can I go to the bathroom?” I got up, walking out. My chest hurt as tears welled up in my eyes.

 

Shinwoo POV

She walked out. I saw her wet eyes. Why did I say anything…? I should have just left it alone. I’m so stupid… She didn’t come back. The teacher noticed and sent another girl to check on her.

The girl didn’t come back either. The teacher sent another girl, thinking maybe Sang Ki was sick. The second girl came back a few minutes later. “Teacher…I don’t think Sang Ki-ah can come back to class.”

“Why?” The teacher asked, a bit concerned.

“She…she’s having an emotional problem right now…”

“What? Did she break up with someone?”

“No…it’s…it’s not something she would be able to talk about.” I stood up.

“Teacher, please let me go see her.” Everyone stared at me. “I’ve known Sang Ki-ah since middle school and understand what’s wrong.”

“Uh, I guess?” I left the class. It’s my fault for bringing up the incident.

 

Jinyoung POV

What’s happening? Why didn’t Sang Ki come back? What emotional problems? Is it because of Gongchan? But then why did Shinwoo go? And why did that girl say it was something she couldn’t talk about?

So many questions… I grew more curious and slowly more worried about what could be wrong. Class ended quickly and I left to go find Sang Ki. I noticed Gongchan come behind me.

“Is it my fault?” Gongchan asked me as we walked.

“I don’t think you did it.” I really feel like it wasn’t because of what Gongchan did.

 

Shinwoo POV

I really shouldn’t have brought it up. The first girl the teacher had sent was still hugging Sang Ki, unable to stop her screams and sobs. I’m such an idiot. How could I casually talk about something so traumatic?

“I should just take her to the infirmary.” I said. I can’t just let her sit here and cry her eyes out. The other girl moved. I reached to help Sang Ki up, but she slapped my hand away. I’m sorry for bringing it up. I picked her up in my arms.

I saw many people look out their classroom doors as I walked to the infirmary with Sang Ki still crying so hard. When we got there, it was empty. I put her down on a bed. She couldn’t stop crying.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to say it.” She looked at me through her tears.

“Just leave!” She yelled. “I said I didn’t want to discuss it!” I sat in a chair next to her.

“I can’t just leave you when you’re in this state.” I took a tissue, trying to wipe her tears, but more just kept replacing them. “I’m sorry for reminding you…” I wish I hadn’t said anything. I’ve actually known Sang Ki since middle school, and started liking her in high school, but I remember the day that our class was told about what happened.

 

I remember it clearly. Everyone’s eyes widened. The girls wanted to call her, but the teacher stopped them. The boys just didn’t know what to say. No one was rude. No one laughed about it. No one could say anything.

I barely knew Sang Ki back then and felt sorry for her. She didn’t come back to school for a whole month and when she did, she wouldn’t talk. She didn’t smile. She didn’t even look at people. She would always be picked up by her father after school.

So many people tried to talk to her more, but she never let even a sound out. And now that I see her crying like this, I wonder if this is what she did when she got home every day.

 

Soon she quieted down, only letting tears fall and dry on the infirmary bed. I think she’s calming down a little. I didn’t dare say anything after what I reminded her of. She closed her eyes. I think she was trying to sleep, but I still didn’t dare say a word. She fell asleep soon; I fixed her position on the bed.

I sat back in my chair. Why did I have to bring it up…? Shortly after she fell asleep, Jinyoung and Gongchan came in.

“Is she unconscious?” Jinyoung immediately leaned down next to her.

“She’s asleep now.” I said.

“Her eyes are wet.” He noted as he wiped the trails of her tears away. “What…what happened?” Gongchan looked upset.

“It wasn’t your fault.” I said to Gongchan who looked like her might hit himself. “It…it was my fault.” They both looked at me. “I said something I shouldn’t have.”

“When? Before class?”

“No. Me and Sang Ki-ah were passing notes and I…mentioned something I should have never written.”

“What was it?” Jinyoung stood up.

“It…it’s not something she would want me to discuss at all. I think what Gongchan-ah did reminded her of it and what I said pushed her over the edge.”

“Just tell us.” Jinyoung said.

“I can’t. If she tells you herself, then ok, but I won’t tell you.” I stood up. “Is class over? I’ll go get her stuff.”

 

Jinyoung POV

What happened!? The way Shinwoo  was talking…it must be something big. Gongchan sat down in the chair next to her, replacing Shinwoo. “I reminded her of whatever it was…” his voice trailed off. “Do you think it was really bad?” he asked me.

“I don’t know…” I wonder if I should ask her when she wakes up. Before when Shinwoo took her to the infirmary, the whole class saw Sang Ki. Actually we all heard her. She was screaming and crying so loudly. Whatever happened…it must have been really bad.

Soon Shinwoo came back and we all just waited to see if Sang Ki would wake up. Shinwoo left, having to go home. As the clock ticked and we sat in silence. Gongchan’s phone started ringing, his family wanting him to come home. He left, but I could tell he wanted to stay.

I told my mom that something important came up and I need to stay at school when she called. I wasn’t just going to leave Sang Ki here alone. I could take her home, but I should wait until she wakes up.

 

Eventually, she opened her eyes, looking up at me.

“Sang Ki-ah…” I said. “Are you okay?”

“I’m…fine.” She said, sitting up.

“I’ll take you home.” We both left the school together. She didn’t say anything and just silently walked. “Sang Ki-ah…about what happened at school today…”

“Don’t talk about it.” She kept her eyes forward. “Don’t even mention it.” She said coldly. I knew I shouldn’t have asked.

We got to her house, I rang the doorbell. Her father opened it, and she walked past him without saying anything.

“What’s with her?” he mumbled.

“Sir. Did the teacher call you today?” I asked, wondering if he knew about anything that happened.

“No. Did something happen?” he asked.

“Sang Ki-ah…she was in class and a classmate mentioned something to her that ‘shouldn’t have been mentioned.’ I don’t know what it was, but then Sang Ki-ah left and she was found crying and screaming in the bathroom. I really don’t know what it was…but did something ever happen to Sang Ki-ah?”

“Someone mentioned it…” His eyes saddened. “Don’t worry about it. It’s not your problem.” He shut the door. I was getting worried.

 

Sang Ki POV

“Sang Ki, I heard about what happened from the boy. Are you okay?” My father came in my room. I nodded. “Don’t lie. Can you go to school tomorrow?” I nodded again. “Should…I get that boy to walk you to school then?” I shook my head.

“No one has to worry about it.”

“Well, now they’re concerned. I know it’s hard to forget about the incident, but please just keep it locked away.”

“I’ll try.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to tell your closer friends about it? They might be able to help you better than me and your mother.”

“How could I tell them about something like that?”

“Now that they all know something is wrong, they’ll ask about it. Can you go through that without the tears?” I had already gotten so many texts and missed calls now that I checked my cellphone. Like I could ever tell anyone about it. About the time I was .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She was hinting at it, but I didn't think it was really like that...so sad... I wonder how everyone else will act and if this will affect them too.

If you have anything to say, feel free to do so.