♀ five

My Little Bride ♀

 

 “Just look at her. She’s so pale and so thin!”

“She wouldn’t even make the cut! She’s terrible!”

“If only Yuri unnie wasn’t blinded by her fake kindness, that misfit wouldn’t even be here.”

“She’s a burden in our team.”

I inhaled deeply, trying to ignore the conversation between two girls behind me. I tried not to look obvious that I was watching them through the mirror in front of me. It suddenly struck me how stupid they were. I could see them everywhere since the room was surrounded with mirrors.

Somehow, I was glad that it wasn’t the whole team ganging up against me. I don’t need enough trouble at this moment.

Regardless, I drifted my attention back to the music that was playing as background. I knew better than to waste my time defending myself. They don’t even listen to me, not even my explanation. I have to focus on what I do best: dancing.

One, two, three… slowly turn around and let loose. Besides worrying about school, the interschool dance competition is coming up soon and our team is participating. I can’t let my guard down. I have to focus and forget about others.

Even if it means if I have to forget about the marriage pact with Kim seonsangnim. It must have been a dream.

The first dance routine was the heavy hip hop choreography using a remix version of Mims’ Move (If U Wanna). The dance would be chockfull of hip hop, popping and break dancing, to which has been the main focus throughout a year of rehearsing. Another composition was five to six chosen members to do a ballet routine.

And I was one of them.

The main reason why I should never let them get to me.

I was used to having people criticize me. I have stopped caring ever since… that car crash. Just the painful image from that—

Thud!

Now that hurt.

“She deserved it.” One from the two girls that were gossiping earlier scoffed at what happened, obviously happy that I had fallen. Inhale, exhale. I could hear the approaching footsteps and I knew they were coming to me. I pulled my leg closer to me, letting out a small wince when I felt the pain hit me.

I blinked, panting heavily. This isn’t happening to me.

“Really, Sooyoung, did you actually think you’re as better as Yuri unnie?”

I ignored them and, instead, focused on the growing pain on my ankle. This isn’t what I think it is, right? I grabbed my leg towards me, slowly massaging my ankle. Why does it hurt so much?

“After taking Seunghyun oppa away from Yuri unnie,” the second girl sneers, kneeling next to me, “you think the whole world revolves around you, don’t you? I don’t know what went on Yuri unnie’s mind that she didn’t have you kicked out from the team but I guess, Yuri unnie is just being kind. She’s a really nice girl. And you’re not.”

“You don’t know how devastated Yuri unnie was,” the first girl added, poking me hard on the shoulder. I inhaled deeply, fighting the urge to strangle them right then and there. I don’t need trouble. “While you’re so happy, clinging to Seunghyun oppa, Yuri unnie was very depressed.”

“Oh, you don’t know how shattered Yuri unnie was,” the second girl echoed in an accusing tone. “It’s all because of you!”

“And you do?”

I blinked, recognizing that voice from somewhere. Somehow, I don’t remember any of the two girls sounding like Yuri. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as the two girls fall back, looking astonished. I lifted my chin, curious to know who it was.

Yuri emerged from the door, her arms crossed and her face looking somehow icy.

“Yah, Park Haesung and Kim Hara,” Yuri calls out their name in a strict tone. Even so, she’s still the captain around here. “Don’t talk about things you don’t know. Stop slacking and get to practice. If you’re here to gossip around and not even do the slightest bit of work, then get the hell out of here. You should be practicing as hard as Sooyoung does.”

“I’m sorry, Yuri unnie,” both said in unison and bowed. They immediately dashed out of the room.

I looked down again, trying to distract myself from the awkwardness wrapping between the two of us. I focused on my ankle instead. It really hurts.

“Don’t think that I did that because of you,” Yuri spoke monotonously, her back facing on me. “Those girls were too stupid to even know what really happened. I don’t blame but I can’t say that I’m going to forgive you for taking him away from me. In the end, he still chose you. I can’t argue to that. He was in love with you. And I couldn’t do anything. But… it hurts for me, too. I loved him so much but you took him away.”

I fought back the tears that were threatening to come out. I have never cried in front of these people. It would be of no use anyway. They have set their impression on me ever since that car crash and I couldn’t rewind it and make it right again.

I tried to stand up. How long was I sitting on the ground, anyway? I might have looked so helpless. I pushed myself off the floor. When I placed a little pressure on my ankle, I let out a small shudder. It hurts so much. . This can’t be happening to me.

I turned away from Yuri, limping as I walked towards the door. It hurts so much that I don’t think I can stand longer than five minutes. But I knew I have to get out from this room soon. I can’t bear the uneasiness going around.

Call me a coward. I won’t care.

Why does the infirmary have to be so far away?

I wanted to walk faster so I could reach the infirmary right away. My ankle is starting to get swollen. This is a really bad sign. When I looked up, I saw him approaching. I jolted into a halt, contemplating whether I should turn around and avoid him or pretend that I didn’t even see him.

Now, it’s really awkward. Why does the pact have to be done?

Too late.

“You look pale,” Kim Sunggyu, our music teacher, stated. He looked concerned. Of course, he would. He probably says this to other female students since he’s a rising star among the female population. Even the guys adore him. He’s nice. But I think it would’ve made sense if he’s a senior student or maybe an athlete.

But he’s a teacher, which makes even more awkward.

“That’s my skin color,” I replied briefly, hinting my dislike of his presence.

“Why are you wobbling?” he asked, ignoring the hint. “Is your ankle hurting?”

I exhaled sharply, darting him a glare. When he noticed it, he gazed at me. Our eyes met and I felt the sudden flip inside my stomach. Was I hungry? I ate lunch. “Kim seonsangnim,” I said coldly. “Just because we’re engaged doesn’t mean we’re going to have to treat each other affectionately if we’re in school. I would like it if you ignore me and pretend that you don’t even see me.”

I brushed past him, ignoring the look of disappointment on his face.

Few minutes later, I reached the infirmary just in time for my next class. What an ill-fated luck. Oh, well. It’s not like I was in the mood for class. I could skip it… for now.

Opening the door, I almost yelped out in surprise and get myself into trouble again. At least I was fast to notice. I nearly crashed on Jonghyun’s chest and make a fool out of myself.

“Oh, hey, Sooyoung,” Jonghyun greeted casually.

I blinked, wondering if I was dreaming or not. How could he greet me so casually? Doesn’t he know what the people say about me? “Um, hey,” I replied awkwardly, giving myself a mental slap.

“What happened?” he asks with a smile.

“Um, I think I sprained my ankle,” I answered lamely, my eyes locked with his. How can he look so gorgeous without putting any effort? Too bad, he’s dating Jiyoung. He would’ve been better off with someone else.

“You think?” He chuckled in amusement. “Let me see.”

“No!” I must’ve scared him because he immediately pulled his hands back. “I mean, you don’t have to. I should go inside and have this checked by the nurse.”

“Well, you didn’t have to worry about me,” Jonghyun bemused, chuckling. “I wasn’t going to bite you or even hurt your ankle. I was just going to check how bad it was. But, yeah, I understand you. I know you prefer someone more professional to check it rather than someone who doesn’t have the slightest understanding of sprained ankle.”

It’s official. I’m an idiot.

“I-I didn’t mean t-that way,” I stammered, feeling flustered of what he said.

Jonghyun grinned. “I know. I was just teasing you.” He turned slightly to the left. “Dara-ssi, someone is here to visit you. Please take care of her.”

“Oh, Jonghyun,” Dara, the school nurse, chanted teasingly. “Don’t embarrass Sooyoung-ssi and let her pass. You’re making the poor girl hyperventilate with your charms. Come here, Sooyoung-ssi. Please ignore Jonghyun. He’s being a pain in the .”

I forced a chuckle.

“See you around, Sooyoung.”

I watched as he closed the door slowly, giving me a playful wink before disappearing. What was that all about? Maybe he does that with other girls, too. I heard Jonghyun likes to play around with girls so his actions earlier might not be too surprising.

“Don’t mind him, sweetie,” Dara told her, waving her hands. She motioned for me to sit on the chair in front of her. “Come and tell me what happened.”

“I hurt my ankle,” I informed her, taking my socks off. “I think I might have sprained it.”

“Did you get hurt while you were dancing?”

I nodded.

“It’s swollen,” Dara stated, reaching a bandage from the cabinet. “I’ll apply ice on it and leave it for 15 minutes, okay? Then I’ll apply bandage on it later. You can go to the bed and rest for a while. What’s your next class? I might have to issue an excuse slip so you can be excused from class.”

I nodded. Dara assisted me as I carefully sauntered towards the bed. Gently, she placed my injured foot in an elevated angle. She told me that it would help reduce the swelling. The ice tickled my foot and I almost giggled.

Dara gave me an amused look. “You’re not as bad as they would say, Sooyoung-ssi.”

 

♀ ________________________________________________________ 

busy, busy, busy. hii there? mind if you guys comment? i'll give faster updates.

i swearrrr ;____;