♂ four

My Little Bride ♀

 

I didn’t like the way Dad held Mom in his arms. He was comforting her, rubbing her arms and whispering her words such as, “It’s going to be okay.” It’s not. It’s not okay. I didn’t like the way Mom welcomed me when I arrived home. She couldn’t even look me in the eye. My brother sat next to Mom, his hands clasped together and his eyes resting on his feet.

I didn’t want to ask what was going on. The atmosphere felt a little weird. Uncomfortable.

They were sitting together at one side of the coffee-colored sectional sofa that I use to have my afternoon naps because of its size and accessibility. I don’t get why I have to be alone at this one part where only one person could sit in. I clenched my fists and hid them under the pillow on my lap. I always do this to hide my discomfort.

Besides my family and I, there are other three people in our family room. I know Kim seonsangnim, our music teacher who always gives out a smile to the students. Even his eye-smile is getting popular, too. And he was there two years ago.

The other two people must be his parents.

But I want to know why they’re in my house.

“Sweetie?”

I looked up and was surprised with what I saw. Even before, I was the type of person who could read through people’s expression and immediately know what’s going on. My Mom kept telling me it’s a gift and that I should take care of it. But you know what I don’t understand? The fact that I didn’t see the car crash coming.

Ah, here it is again. I have almost forgotten about it.

“Sweetie, I want to introduce to you to somebody.” The look on my Dad was plain anxiety. There were traces of wrinkle lines just near his mouth. “Well, to two people. I know you know Kim Sunggyu, your music teacher. Next to him are his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Kim.”

I blinked, studying Mr. & Mrs. Kim and giving them a brief bow. I didn’t say anything. It was irrelevant.

“You’re probably curious as to why we’re here,” Mr. Kim spoke up, giving me the sympathetic look. It was like he knew what happened. I gazed at my father who looked down when our eyes met. He told him what happened. “You see, your grandfather and my grandfather made a pact. That is, even if they had passed away, they hope to see their grandson and granddaughter marry. That was their last wish. Your father had begged me to not do this because of, um, what happened but… I wanted to grant my father’s and your grandfather’s wish. I was left with the responsibility of their wish to come true.”

It’s ridiculous, I thought to myself. My eyes seemed to search for something colorful, anything to distract me from the eyes of Kim seonsangnim’s father. It was suffocating me. And why is he talking about marriage? Why bring up marriage at the worst time?

Seunghyun placed his arm on my shoulder and rested his head on mine. I closed my eyes and I felt him smiling. From afar, people think we look like we’re only two young adults stuck in a puppy love bubble. But I know that our love is pure. Our love is… true.

He sighed quietly. “I want to marry you.”

My eyes widened, surprised by his sudden proposal. I’m fifteen years old and he’s seventeen. What is he thinking? “W-what?” I stammered, blinking twice as fast as I normally do. I felt my cheeks turn red. “Hyun, what the hell are you talking about?”

He laughed, pulling me towards his chest. We lay down under the starry night and gazed at the glimmering stars glued on the velvet sky. I loved how I perfectly fit in his arms. “You’re so cute,” he says. “Jung Sooyoung, I want to marry you.”

“We’re still young,” I told him but the thought of marriage got my heart drum faster than a hummingbird flaps its wings.

He made a distinct pftsound. “Don’t you know that two percent of high school couples end up marrying and staying together? We’re part of that two percent.” He emphasized the last two words, giving me his trademark smirk and holding up his two fingers.

I giggled, slapping his chest lightly. “You’re crazy,” I . How can he be so perfect?

I felt his lips on my forehead, brushing it gently. “Only for you,” he whispered. And during that moment, I never wondered. Seunghyun is the best boyfriend a girl could ever have. What did I do to deserve such a perfect guy like him?

“Sweetie?”

I blinked, realizing I spaced out. Immediately, I gazed up to look at my father. His eyes looked concerned, like he was holding out on something. What it was, that I don’t know.

“You don’t remember me, do you, Sooyoung?” Mr. Kim asks faintly, offering her a kind smile. “Mrs. Kim and I usually pay you a visit whenever we have time. We always bring those homemade baskets filled with different kinds of fruits. Do you remember? Your favorite was mango and Sunggyu’s was apple. You used to argue with each other about which fruit gives more benefit than the other.”

I don’t remember. I don’t remember sharing any memories with our music teacher. I couldn’t remember. I don’t want to remember.

“I don’t want to elucidate too much,” Mr. Kim continues, exchanging meaningful glances with Dad. “I don’t want to give you so much trouble. I will let Sunggyu explain later after the wedding. I hope you will understand, Sooyoung.”

I wanted to say the truth. I wanted to tell him that I don’t understand. I wanted to tell him that I don’t want the wedding. We don’t fit each other.

Mr. Kim faced Dad. “Soo Jun, Young Hee,” he called out. “Thank you for your consideration. If this doesn’t really work, I’ll be prepared to face the consequences. I’m only doing this for our grandfathers. Their promise. The pact they came up with.”

Dad nodded in acceptance. “I know. You’re my best friend. Just… take care of my daughter.” His last words were spoken in a low voice. As if I couldn’t hear him. One by one, we all stood up and exchanged goodbyes. I kept quiet, contemplating on whether I should just sprint towards my room and never look back.

Or maybe I could run away.

“We’ll see you in a week,” Mr. Kim announced, turning sideways, just enough to lock eyes with me. He was just being sympathetic, that’s all. “For the meantime, I’ll instruct my son to keep an eye over you until the wedding.”

I restrained myself from scoffing. I didn’t think I would need a baby-sitter.

 

♀ ________________________________________________________ 

sorry for the late updates. been really, really busy.

comments, lovelies? x