♂ fourteen

My Little Bride ♀

 

I could feel the eyes of the people digging unto my back. Ever since that time when Jonghyun protected me from Gyuri and her friends, I knew something was bound to happen once I go back to school. It was definitely the most predictable thing that would happen.

Gyuri wasn’t amused when Jonghyun took my side. From the moment Jonghyun made that decision, I knew Gyuri has a devious plan on her mind on how to retaliate her pained ego. If I was her, I would probably do the same thing.

It isn’t exciting to go back to school. Not when most of the students here spend time destroying my life and talking behind my back. I was their target and nothing could ever change that.

Now that I’m married, it has definitely become harder. I feel the heavy weight of the pressure on my back. I don’t know how long I can keep on hiding this forever but it’s definitely nerve-wracking.

I made sure I kept all the married stuff hidden. For example, my wedding ring. I had to leave it at home or the people will wonder how I got that ring on my left hand. And they’ll probably make up stories about me and Jonghyun getting married and make his life miserable or maybe getting hitched by a poor boy.

It gets really exhausting. Trust me.

I had music class as my 3rd period for the morning, just before lunch time. It definitely feels so strange to have your husband as the teacher. I didn’t dare look at him because when I do, I know the emotions would spill out everything. I’ve been working on controlling my emotions these past few months.

It makes everything a little better.

But Sunggyu was being stubborn. He keeps sneaking glances on me, winking when he had a chance or when the students are all busy and preoccupied with something else. I don’t even know why I end up looking at his direction sometimes.

I had to let him park at some place near school where no one would see me getting off his car. It was difficult. How am I supposed to survive?

Nine months,a small voice told me. Just bear it for nine months.

Jonghyun, however, stuck to me the entire morning period.

When he spotted me coming in from the school gates, he immediately ran to me with his hand waving side to side. The students, of course, darted him disgusted looks. But he ignored them and preferred staying beside me.

Somehow, I find it comforting.

During lunch time, Jonghyun ate with me. His friends from the basketball team kept looking over our table, talking in low voices and acting as if they weren’t even yakking about me. It was plain obvious but I tried to ignore them anyway. Gyuri, Jiyoung and her friends darted me nasty glares, too. I had to look down all the time and focus all my attention on my food.

And of course, I saw Sunggyu again. With the teachers this time. They have their own table at the far side of the room. When I looked up, he was staring at me, his eyes full of questions and other feelings I can’t quite grasp.

Then I mentally reminded myself that I swore to ignore him in school.

However, what surprised me the most was Yuri coming over to my table. She left her friends, specifically, Gyuri and Jiyoung—since they asked Yuri to hang out with them ever since that whole Seunghyun incident—speechless when she sat with us.

“I was too tired,” she told me when I asked her subtly on why she came to sit with us. “All they ever talk about is you, you and you. It’s pretty tiring when the topic is only you. You’re getting pretty popular these days. Might as well sit with you. They might probably talk about me as well.”

Her reason was too vague but I didn’t shun her out. It was unexpectedly comfortable eating with her without having any conversation.

When the classes ended, I immediately dashed to the dance studio. Since the class ends early at three, we have to start practicing right away. Our heavy rehearsals start today which means I probably have to go home late than the usual.

As soon as Yuri arrived, we started our warm ups without delay.

It was weird because they usually tease me or pull a prank on me as soon as they spotted me inside the room. But no one didn’t. In fact, all of them ignored me—which I preferred rather than being noticed but tortured anyway. Everyone in the dance team is pretty engrossed into the rehearsals since the competition is in two weeks.

I wished this happens every single day. I’ve never felt so normal.

For an hour, we’re all about dancing. I wasn’t the normal Sooyoung. They weren’t their normal selves. We were in our zone and our heads in the competition.

It was the most remarkable moment. I didn’t feel alone.

By the time we were finished, all of my energy and my spirit seems to be drained out. It left me. I wanted to just stay inside the studio and sprawl my arms and my legs on the floor. There’s this heavy, painful weight on my shoulders that I want to get rid of.

Few minutes later, I tried to push myself to stand up already so I could go home. It was already seven in the evening and I was starving. I can’t wait to eat and then sleep. The other members of the dance team have already left, leaving me and Yuri alone.

“You did well today,” Yuri commented as she walked around to turn off the lights and return the things back to places. “And so did the others, of course. The one thing I liked about our rehearsal for today was that the people seemed to be into it.”

I nodded. “Yeah. It was awesome.”

“It’s a good thing since the competition is in two weeks,” she told me, draping her knapsack over her shoulder. “And then there’s the solo competition for chosen representatives from the different teams. I added your choreography if you don’t mind.”

I raised my eyebrows, surprised. She never took any choreography ideas from me. Well, not always. She usually hated asking from others. “Oh, really? Mine wasn’t that good.”

Yuri scoffed, bringing out a bundle of keys from her bag. I watched her lock the door of the dance studio and then we resumed walking. “It was,” she interjected, avoiding my gaze. In fact, we don’t even talk while looking at each other. “I just didn’t want to, um, admit it.”

“I’m not as good as you,” I muttered, clearing my throat.

She gave me a small smile. “Maybe you’re not but then we both have our own charm. I’m good at this and you’re good at that. Every person has that. Your idea was brilliant. Tell me, why didn’t you apply for the captain position?”

“I wasn’t the type to lead people,” I admitted.

“But you produce great ideas. And I don’t.”

“Yes, you do. You got us this far.”

“You’re not just saying that because of what we had in the past, right?”

She caught me off-guard. “No. I think you’re a great captain.”

I saw Yuri’s mouth twitch, forming a small smile. “Thanks. Listen, there’s something—”

“Sooyoung!”

Jonghyun ran to me, a happy expression plastered on his face. Did he wait for me until I was done? Basketball practices are supposed to be done, like, two hours ago. What was he still doing here? Did I forget…? Oh .

“You were supposed to be home two hours ago,” I told him as soon as he was in front of me. He shot Yuri a quizzical look and then to me. He looked like he’s hesitating to say what he wants to say.

“Are you guys dating?” Yuri asked bluntly.

I almost choked on my saliva. Jonghyun was still expressionless.

“No,” I answered immediately. “I’m—” I almost said I was married.

Yuri nodded. “I wonder why people even think you guys are dating. I mean, Jonghyun would never date someone like you. But then I can see… oh, wait. Heck, never mind. I don’t want to ruin whatever Jonghyun is thinking or planning to do as of the moment.”

I chuckled. “Thanks… for nothing. I think.”

Yuri rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Seems like I’ve interrupted something. You guys enjoy the rest of your night.” And with that, she immediately her heel and walked away.

I started walking towards the school gates, too, to go home. Jonghyun tagged along next to me without saying any word. I can’t believe it. I was supposed to accompany Jonghyun somewhere today. But then we had dance practice today, so it’s definitely excusable… right?

“You’re supposed to go home two hours ago,” I told him quietly.

Jonghyun shrugged. “I waited,” he replied shortly. “But then, I figured that you have your dance practices so I told myself we could do it tomorrow. And I want to take you home.”

I froze. “Take me home? No, it’s okay. You don’t have to.”

“I’m not letting a girl walk home alone,” Jonghyun insisted. “Come on, let me take you home. Besides, didn’t I take you home last time? You can sleep on the ride home so you won’t have to worry about me. Sleep if you’re tired.”

I wanted to tell him that it’s not the reason why I don’t want him to take me home. What if he finds out that Sunggyu and I are living under the same roof? That would be the worst thing ever! He would know I’m married. And then the whole school would know, too.

“No, really, it’s—”

In the end, he still took me home. Of course, I directed him to our new house. I was secretly praying that Sunggyu won’t go out of the house and greet me. Jonghyun would find out. On our way home, I was nervous and there was this huge lump on my throat that I want to push down. I was terrified of Jonghyun finding out about my marriage.

, what if he does find out? Then that’ll be the end of me. I still have a long way until graduation.

We reached Seodaemun-gu in a matter of minutes. I saw the look of confusion clouding on Jonghyun’s face. I knew right then that he was going to ask me so I immediately told him that we moved—even though I was the only one who moved.

I didn’t let him get off the car. In fact, I was hoping he won’t ask me to invite him in.

Because I definitely won’t.

“Thanks for the ride,” I blurted out as soon as he parked outside the closed gates. I didn’t wait for him to respond any further. Instead, I immediately got off the car and ran to the gates, locking it after. I could feel Jonghyun’s curious eyes on me so I tried hard to plaster a convincing smile on my face.

He left after a minute with that suspicious look on his face even though I tried to look normal. I can’t help but wonder how I looked like with that stiff, artificial smile and that awkward goodbye wave. I was pretty hoping he was convinced or else I might have—

“Oh, !” I leaped out of surprise when I turned around and find Sunggyu starting at me in a quizzical look. He didn’t look amused like he usually he was. I placed my hand over my chest where my heart was pounding so fast.  “Sunggyu, you scared me,” I told him, feeling breathless all of a sudden.

“Where have you been?” he wanted to know.

I didn’t like his tone. Feeling upset all of a sudden, I brushed past him. “I had dance practice, dad,” I snapped.

“That late?”

I ignored him. It was better that way. I’m sorry, Sunggyu, my mind whirled. But it’s better off this way. Besides, this makes things easier and there won’t be any emotional attachments involved. In the end, I know we’ll still separate ways so we don’t need any connection. 

♀ ________________________________________________________ 

well, hello there. even if i have posted a new story, i promise that i will never abandon this.

this is like my comeback story so i could never discard and forget about this. however,

while you guys are reading this, would you guys mind checking out my new story?

it's kind of based on Cinderella with the stepsisters and everything. See who's the main guy?

love you lots, xoxo.