♀ twenty-three

My Little Bride ♀

 

Min’s eyes widened, glancing from me and then back to Sunggyu. Then his eyes wandered somewhere else. But when he spotted the ring on Sunggyu’s left hand, he nodded his head, his mouth forming an ‘O’. I expected him to fire us questions but he didn’t anyway. We must’ve look convincing then.

“My family’s having a little game at the tennis courts,” Min began, nudging Sunggyu’s arm. I chuckled, impressed of how Min is treating Sunggyu. They look like they’ve known each other for so long. With Min’s arm on Sunggyu’s shoulder, Sunggyu doesn’t look too pleased. “Why don’t you guys come with us?”

Sunggyu glanced at me and I frowned. Was he jealous? Is that why he’s upset? He finished his drink in one gulp and stood up. “We’ll go,” he declared.

I rolled my eyes.

“That’s great!” Min exclaimed. “I’ll go ahead and tell my family. You guys can follow.”

I was going to confront Sunggyu and tell him that he’s ridiculous for being upset about this. Min and I met almost an hour ago and he was already jealous? I don’t get it. As soon as Min has disappeared, Sunggyu marched off.

I tagged behind him, trying to keep up with his pace. “Sunggyu!” I called out. “Hey! Wait!”

He wasn’t stopping.

. I hate it when guys go absurd over this one thing and act like total jerks. I ran a little bit fast and grabbed his wrist. I spun him around so he would face me. Just because I’m female doesn’t mean I don’t have enough strength to yank a guy. Just one guy though.

“I said wait!”

He looked taken aback for a second.

I didn’t let go of his wrist just in case he runs away again. “You know, you’re so ridiculous,” I snapped, glaring at him. “Just because I was having fun talking to him you’re going to be all upset and jealous. Come on, Sunggyu. I thought you trust me.”

“Well, why don’t you try to be me for once?” Sunggyu countered. “You don’t know how annoying it is to see you interact with guys the same age as you or anyone older or younger than you. You treat them nicely but you treat me differently. And yes, I do trust you. But it’s hard since I never know if you like me or not.”

He inhaled deeply. “And if I think about for a second,” he adds, “you could still fall in love when you least expect it. There are a lot of better, good-looking guys in your age. Don’t you think it’s a little hard for me, too?”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re the only guy that I trust, Sunggyu. Why do you think I treat you differently from the others? Because you’re my husband and they’re not. I know you but I don’t know them. You’re important to me but they’re not. I have my own way of treating those who matter to me. And you don’t have to worry”—sighing—“I’m not the type who likes pretty boys right away.”

That got him. His eyebrows shot up and his eyes were, like, glowing. Rolling my eyes, I was thinking of a good comeback when he suddenly pulled me against him. I let out a short yelp. I heard him chuckle, hugging me tighter.

I wanted to push him away but his happiness was too overbearing.

I mentally reviewed what I had said earlier. He probably misunderstood me and thought that I liked him, too. It’s been five seconds and he hasn’t still let go of me. We were attracting attention and I saw something like a flash. Maybe someone thought we looked weird that’s why they took a photo of us.

This is getting embarrassing.

“Let go, Sunggyu,” I whispered, placing both of my hands between us. I struggled to push him away but he was too strong. “People are watching.”

Sunggyu laughed as he lets go of me. In the end, he entwined his hand with mine. “I’m sorry,” he yells in English, referring to the people watching us with interest. “My wife is too sweet, you know. I can’t keep my hands off her.”

The people laughed.

I smacked his arm. “Hey! Don’t think I can’t understand what you’re saying.”

“Come on,” Sunggyu urged, pulling me. “We have to go. Min’s family is waiting for us.”

“First, let’s change into a dry shirt,” I suggested, hating the feeling of drenched shirt on me.

Before going to the tennis courts, we head back to our suite to change. I was thinking of changing my swimwear as well but it would be too bothersome. Rummaging through my duffel bag, I chose my wide scoop neck, oversized, light pink teeand another denim shorts.

Sunggyu looks like the boy-next-door in a plain, gray shirt. He looked… cute.

We advanced to the tennis courts together, my hand in his. We decided to go to for banana riding after the game. I’ve always wanted to try banana riding but I was scared to fall into the water. But Sunggyu promised to do it with me so I felt… assured at some point. Sunset cruise was also at the top of my list but now that I think about it, Sunggyu might misunderstand it for something romantic or something like I want to spend time with him alone. He’d give me this glowing expression that annoys me every time.

But I still think it’s adorable though.

Arriving at the tennis courts, we heard a couple of people screaming and cheering. Then I sort out Min’s voice from the rest of them and let out a short laugh. If I think about it, Sunggyu might be right. I could fall in love with anyone when I don’t expect it. What if I fall in love with Min? Or say, I fall in love with Jonghyun?

I wonder what would happen.

When Min caught sight of us, he hurried over, waving his hands above his head. I was surprised when Sunggyu and Min exchanged bro greetings—like the typical handshake for males, you know what I mean? I thought Sunggyu hated him.

“You and me,” Min challenged, elbowing Sunggyu on the arm. They seemed to be closer now. “One on one. You up for it?”

Sunggyu nodded. “Sure. What will I get if I win?”

Min scoffed good-humoredly. “Don’t be so sure. They don’t call me Tennis King for nothing.” He tapped his chin. “But hey, since you brought it up, let’s talk about the reward. If I win, I get a date with Sooyoung.”

What? Date? Was he kidding? He knows I’m married.

Sunggyu’s jaw tensed. “Come on, man. You know she’s off-limits.”

I hate it when they act like I’m not here.

“Hey,” I called out in a grim voice, putting on my cold expression. Sunggyu and Min both glanced at me. “You two think you can just decide on what I should do? One thing I hate the most is when someone decides what to do for me and acts like I’m not here. I hate it.” I focused on Min. “And you, are you crazy? Didn’t you hear? I’m married.”

Min smirked. “I know. That’s what makes the game exciting, right?”

Sunggyu slung his arm around me. “Fine. If I win—”

“You get a date with me.” I glowered at the woman showing up all of a sudden. Not that I was minding the attention from the two guys, but who does she think she is? A date with my husband? It’s not that I’ve finally realized I have feelings for Sunggyu but… he’s still my husband. And she’s just some woman.

Sunggyu would’ve said the same thing. I groaned inwardly. The voice inside my head is back. I wonder if I’m crazy or just… this happens. Sunggyu would’ve thought the same thing, too. You’re still his wife. And Kim Min-seok just happens to be a guy.

“Ah, noona!” Min groaned. “Why do you always have bad timing?”

“O, Jung Hana?” Sunggyu knows her? “What are you doing here?”

Min glanced at the two of them, puzzled. “You two know each other?”

I’d like to know, too, I thought bitterly. How com Sunggyu didn’t tell me about her? Oh, wait. Now that’s ironic. I don’t even tell him anything so why would he tell me about it, too? Sometimes, I don’t understand myself.

Sunggyu nodded, laughing inwardly. “Yeah. We used to go to the same university together.”

She beamed at him. I snorted, unable to stop myself. Surprisingly, she seemed to notice me now. “Oh, hi,” she greeted but I didn’t respond. Instead, I shifted my attention to the game. Yes, I can be mean when I want to.

And no, I’m not jealous.

I think.

“She’s quite cool, isn’t she?” I heard her mutter. “My name’s Jung Hana but you can call me Zinger. I’m Sunggyu’s friend from college.” What kind of a name is Zinger? Ah, really. I have to stop this. This is one of the reasons why I don’t make so many friends in school.

“Her name’s Sooyoung,” Min stated. “Jung Sooyoung. Are you guys related? If you are, then I’d lose a chance to make a move on her. Zinger noona is my cousin.”

Zinger laughed. “So, what about it, Sunggyu?” she offered, looking excited. “Are you up for the consequences if you win the game? If you win the game, you get a date with me. I mean, she won’t mind, right? If my cousin wins, he gets to go on a date with her, too. But it still goes both ways even if my cousin loses. He can still date her while we’re out on a date.”

I hate this. I don’t even know why I’m feeling infuriated all of a sudden. An hour ago, it was Sunggyu who was having the mood swings, and now it’s me. How is she even confident that Sunggyu would win? And… will Sunggyu really go on a date with her?

I felt Sunggyu’s eyes burning a hole on me. I focused on the game, crossing my hands on my chest. Feeling very upset without a reason, I sauntered towards the side and hunkered down. But, really. What do I want him to do? Do I really want him to win? Or do I want him to lose? Min was right about one thing: even if Min wins and we go on a date, he’d still be left with her.

Oh, . Is this how a wife would really feel about her husband going out with someone else?

But then I don’t even like him, I thought.

Sunggyu sat next to me. He starts to poke me, attempting to get my attention. Since he knew me from the start, he should know that once I’m not in the mood, I’m really, really not in the mood. Another thing that I hate about myself is when I get pissed or furious.

I hate it. Really.

However, Sunggyu doesn’t stop poking me. It was getting annoying.

“Ah, really!” I blurted out, looking daggers at him. He smiled at me. There wasn’t even a hint of anxiety or bewilderment on his face when I shouted at him. I’ve tried to control myself but he was just… infuriating. “Will you please stop it?”

Sunggyu feigned a sad expression. He stirred, moving closer to me. He should’ve been afraid by now. “Is Sooyoung jealous?” he whispered jokingly.

I rolled my eyes. “Just stop it, Sunggyu. This isn’t a really good time to play around.”

Sunggyu leaned closer. “Oh, come on. Zinger is just—”

“I heard my name!” Oh, God. She always has the worst timing ever. I leaned back, feeling upset about this new feeling. I hate this because it puts my mood down. Now I feel like strangling someone. But that time in the past, when everyone was really accusing me of destroying the lives of innocent people, I was so furious that I threw tantrums.

Now it’s this. This… Zinger person.

I sighed resignedly. This ing .

Zinger grinned at us. Well, it was more like she’s grinning on Sunggyu and acting like she doesn’t even see me. “Yah, Kim Sunggyu!” she exclaimed. “You’re not actually telling your friend here something about us back then, right? Tsk, tsk. I want to know what you told her.”

Friend? Did she really think I was a friend? I can’t do this, I thought dejectedly. I want to go home. The honeymoon he planned has been ruined. No thanks to her.

Sunggyu pft-ed. “Yah, Jung Hana. That was nothing.”

“But you should know, Soo,” she utters, plopping down next to Sunggyu. I was surprised that we’re even on a nickname basis that I wasn’t aware of. “Sunggyu was a total bore when we were in college. He would stay in his room and keep reading. And then he…”

I didn’t intend to hear what she was saying. But all I noticed was that she was trying to imply that she knows Sunggyu more than I do. And I’m ing ecstatic about it.

Technically, if I were to leave, Sunggyu wins. He would be right. That would make me look like I was really jealous. Leaning back, I pondered on what I ought to do. Those times when I was with Seunghyun revisited my mind. Those times when people accused me and called me names, I remember talking back and defending myself.

It was one of the reasons why I never seemed to have any real friend. My words were too harsh and I was too honest. Yes, I was quiet but deadly when words are spoken.

Honestly, I wondered why Seunghyun even noticed me.

“Okay! It’s our turn!”

Snapping back to reality, I straightened up and watched as Sunggyu walks toward the court. Now it was just me and Zinger. Although there was big space between us, I could feel the tension rising. I didn’t care. I was trying my best to ignore her anyway.

Sunggyu borrowed a pair of tennis shoes from someone and put them in. He was nodding as this one guy kept on advising him what to do, or probably safety reminders when playing tennis. On the other hand, Min was doing his warm ups.

Minutes later, the umpire called for both of their attention.

“Wait!” Sunggyu spoke up, raising one finger. “I forgot something.”

I frowned. What could he forget? He looked faultless from head to toe.

He jogged towards me, shooting me his smirk. “I forgot something,” he informed me, panting heavily. I shot him a questioning look. I scanned his body, trying to figure out what he forgot about. Maybe a towel? He kneeled in front of me. Leaning closer, he gave me a peck on the lips.

Then, he winked. “Just what I need.”

I watched as he ran away, a happy expression shadowing his face. Looking around, I saw varieties of expression. Min’s parents—I think—gave me an ‘aww’ look, leaning against each other. Some watchers grinned. Min looked bowled over. But the best? Zinger looking like someone just took away her favorite doll.

Yes, revenge is nice.


 

this is a long chapter since i have school ;~;

suuuuucks, finally entering college though. so it means slow updates.

i love you guys. /throws heart every corner