♀ fifteen

My Little Bride ♀

 

Seeing Sunggyu half- when I woke up was definitely something new. And bad. The moment I opened my eyes, I screamed and fell of the bed right instantly. His face was so close to mine that I held my breath. Falling off was probably the best option I had as of that moment.

“What the hell are you doing?” I yelled, glaring at him. I pushed myself off the ground and tried my best to look mad. Well, it’s not like I was really angry. In fact, I didn’t know what I felt. How am I supposed to react in seeing my estranged husband half- when I wake up?

It’s all thanks to my inferior knowledge of marriage.

He shot me an amused look, propping himself with his elbow. “Uh, waking up?” he teased, a smile etching on his lips. “That’s what we all do first thing in the morning, right?” He was being sarcastic, I know it, but it definitely wasn’t comical.

I rolled my eyes. “I know, genius,” I snapped at him. “Put a shirt on!” I yelled before I sprinted embarrassedly to the bathroom. I’ve seen my brother without a shirt on a lot of times but what made Sunggyu different? Is it because Sunggyu is not just a brother and Yunho oppa is?

Does it really make any difference at all?

Few minutes later, I found Sunggyu at the dining table, eating his breakfast alone. Across him is an untouched breakfast. Did he make one for me? He shouldn’t have done that, I thought guiltily. After the way I treat him, he’s supposed to hate me and all. And it wasn’t just any breakfast. It was Australian style—my favorite breakfast since I was a kid.

I wondered how he even knew that.

“Where did you Vegemite?” I asked, surprised. When I was in Australia, I usually had toasted sandwiches with Vegemite spread on it for breakfast. “When I came here in Korea after staying in Australia, I didn’t find any Vegemite in supermarkets.”

He smiled. “Somewhere out there,” he answered playfully. “I know you miss Australia so I made this.”

I wanted to say I didn’t. Australia has its good places but my break there wasn’t pretty. For six years, I endured middle school without having so many friends. I made two friends who were from Asian countries, too. And ever since I moved to Korea, I haven’t heard from them.

It was my second time eating breakfast with him and it still felt… strange. Or maybe it’s just me. I wasn’t used to eat with someone. Back then, I used to eat alone. My mom would be cooking breakfast for my dad, who’s busy doing his work in his office, and for Yunho oppa, who’s too busy to even care.

Besides, if they were to eat with me, I wouldn’t have said anything anyway.

Like yesterday, Sunggyu dropped me off a block from school so no one would see me. When I was approaching the gates, I straightened my uniform and put on a cold expression like I always do.

I have four minutes before my first class so I went by my locker to get a few things. Somehow, the people seemed to be less harmful than they were before. I felt relieved, of course. Today’s probably a lucky day. At least I have the dance competition to worry about.

“Sooyoung, hey!”

I saw Jonghyun approaching me with a casual smile. He was hopping like a kid, garnering attention from other students who were passing by us. He looked happy. He was wearing a V-neck, striped, long-sleeved, blue shirt that emphasized his skin color and his neck line. But then, why wasn’t he wearing our school uniform? He was supposed to.

I shot him a quizzical look. “Why aren’t you wearing our uniform?” I asked.

Jonghyun just grinned. “Because we’re not going to school.”

My eyebrows frowned. “But you’re here.”

He shrugged. “I won’t be if you come with me right now.” He grabbed my hand and started pulling me but I pulled back, crouching.

“What?” I gasped, my eyes widening. “Are you ser—why should I come with you?”

He smirked, his hand still on my arm. The other students pretended not to care but I can see how eager their ears are in listening to our conversation. “You owe me a date, remember?”

I frowned, shaking my head. “No, I don’t.”

He pouted. “You do! Sunday morning,” he reminded me. “I asked you if you were available in the afternoon but you said you were tired. Then you promised me you would accompany me the next day but then you had your dance rehearsals.”

“I never promised. And I never said I was going to come.”

He smirked. “Well, you have no choice. You have to come with me.”

I tugged on my arm again before he could drag me away. “Wait, I can’t skip dance practices,” I told him, frowning. “I really don’t want to skip since the competition is in a few weeks. I can’t… I’m sorry. We can do it on weekends if you still want.”

He straightened up and let go of my arm. He didn’t look pretty happy about what I said but I didn’t have any choice. I can’t skip any rehearsals this time. “But—”

“I promise,” I cut him off, giving him a serious expression. “I’ll go with you on Saturday.”

Jonghyun stared at me, scrutinizing my expression. “You promised,” he echoed, burying his hands in his pocket.

“I don’t break promises,” I reassured, straightened my sleeves. Then I tightened my grasp on the strap of my bag. I turned sideways to close my locker and then face him again. “I’ll be there.”

His face broke into a grin. “Alright. It’s a good thing that you’d come and accompany me on Saturday, anyway. I needed a date for an event on that day. Since my dad attends this jamboree every year with former basketball players from his time until now, he always brings me with him. And he’s encouraging me to bring a date because he brings my mom.”

I raised my eyebrows. “Then bring the girl you brought last year.”

He cocked his head to the side. “I didn’t bring any girl last year.”

I wheeled around, almost forgetting that I still have class to attend to. He kept up with my pace and shot me a look, like he was waiting for my answer. “Well, that seems impossible. Um, wait. Hold on, can I go to my class now?”

He heaved a sigh. “I don’t get you sometimes,” he bemused. “You look like you can’t wait to get out of this school and now you want to go to your class. What’s the difference?”

I rolled my eyes. “I actually want to graduate.”

“Fine. But remember,” he says, giving me a lopsided smile, “you promised to come with me on Saturday. Remember that. You can’t break your promise. If you break it, you’ll have to grant me a wish. Any wish that I want. And if I were you, I’d bring extra clothes. Also, dress formally.”

“But I don’t really have any formal dress,” I argued.

“What? That’s weird,” he remarked. “Then how are you going to the prom then?”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. I’m not going.”

He frowned. “Just go. You promised me. What about this, I’ll get you from your house and take you to someone who can help you.”

“But I—”

“You promised.”

I shot him a warning look, feeling a little panicky. I’m the worst when it comes to remembering things to bring for an event. But he didn’t even notice. Instead, he gave me his trademark smirk and wink before turning around to leave.

I didn’t even hear the class ring. Groaning, I walked to my first class with my head down. This isn’t turning out well, I suppose.

During lunch time, Yuri still accompanied me. However, Jonghyun wasn’t around this time. He said he was required to go to basketball practice since he’s been skipping a lot. I was confused though since someone as loyal as Jonghyun would never dare to skip their practices. However, I didn’t further interrogate him.

It was surprising how I seemed to be comfortable around Yuri. Albeit, the topic about Seunghyun has never been brought up, I didn’t care. She seemed to be friendly enough to stay with me and ignore the obnoxious stares from the other students. Even Gyuri and Jiyoung were shooting me the darkest looks.

Well, I didn’t care. For once, I felt glad that Yuri stayed with me. I’m also aware of the fact that this is temporary. That Yuri and I would never be friends for a long time. Maybe she’s doing this out of charity, you know, or for the dance competition.

Besides, all we ever talk about was the dance competition and school being… school. And I’d like to stay it that way, thank you very much.

The rest of the day went by. Practice was still a success: without anyone being pain in the and with anyone focusing on perfecting the choreography. I could see how happy Yuri was to have everybody cooperating so willingly.

Jonghyun still waited for me outside the dancing studio. Every time we met, he seems to look so happy. I don’t want to boast and assume that he’s happy because of me. Because I’m certain that I could never be anyone’s reason for happiness.

Well, except for those who constantly torment me. I’m the reason for their entertainment. If I’m being paid a dime for every time they mock me, I would’ve been the richest billionaire in the world.

I arrived home at 8 in the evening, drained out and in a crappy mood. One of the few things I hated about heavy rehearsals is that I get so moody when I’m all exhausted and lifeless. Sunggyu welcomed me by the door with a knowing smile.

“I prepared dinner,” Sunggyu greeted as he followed me to the dining table.

I gave him a small smile. “Thanks.”

“And by the way,” I gazed at him. “Welcome home.”

All of a sudden, I felt a warm sensation streaming inside of me. He looked like he meant it. He gave me a warm smile, his arms wide open. I paused, wondering what he’s trying to tell me. My father used to do that to me, too. Open his arms and give me a smile but I never really knew what it meant. I was an awkward human being.

Even Seunghyun said so.

You really need to stop thinking about him, a small voice told me from the back of my mind.

If I could remember correctly, I haven’t thought about him for those weeks that I spent with Sunggyu. Well, most of it anyway. But at least I actually forgot him for a while.

The moment he wrapped his arms around me, I forgot to breathe. It’s amazing that I felt strangely happy when I fit under his arms. He rubbed my back, making circles that felt soothing. Somehow, my hands found its way, hugging him back.

“You’ve worked well,” he whispered.

♀ ________________________________________________________ 

asdfghjkl Gyu-Young interaction. /throws confetti/ and guys! guys! guys! guys!

check out my new story, okay! first chap is not out yet but it will be. soon. /smirk