♀ seventeen

My Little Bride ♀

 

I flung my duffel bag over my shoulder, feeling rather nervous. I keep having this weird feeling that something wrong is going to happen later. Or maybe it’s just me being upset because of what happened yesterday.

I found Sunggyu at his office, working on some papers and sitting in front of his piano. He looked peaceful and stunning but I didn’t let that get to me. After our huge fight yesterday, none of us were in speaking terms.

I didn’t bother saying goodbye though since Jonghyun was already outside, waiting for me. Besides, it’d be awkward if I was going to talk to Sunggyu first. I’m still mad about yesterday, him calling me immature and that I need to grow up. The words struck me but I keep telling myself that it wasn’t true.

I’ve never thought about the world revolving around me. Maybe I was all grieving and upset about what happened to Seunghyun but that doesn’t count as being immature, right?

Sunggyu was right. I never did understand what he was trying to say. But last night, when we were lying next to each—him facing one side and me on the other—I started crying. My heart feels so heavy and I felt like… I really wanted to cry. I’ve never cried so hard except those days I felt empty without Seunghyun.

Jonghyun picked me up at exactly ten in the morning. He told me we were going to The Shilla Jeju in Jeju-do to meet someone who could help me. I explained to him how I never brought any formal clothes, just those extra he mentioned before. On our way there, he told me a lot about his family and gave me my ticket to Jeju.

When we arrived at the place, we were welcomed with a black limousine and a concierge. It makes me think if Jonghyun isn’t just an ordinary guy. But if I think about it, he was Seunghyun’s friend. And Choi Seunghyun was the Choi Corporation’s heir which only means that Jonghyun could be someone rich, too.

However, I never asked him about what I’m thinking. I wasn’t in the mood. For the past two hours, I’ve been faking a smile and trying to keep up conversations. I don’t know if he noticed it but I’m glad that he doesn’t mind.

At least for now.

Oh, and did I mention how magnificent The Shilla Jeju was? I felt so tiny, standing in front of the hotel after getting off the limousine. Turning back, I wandered my eyes around. The hotel grounds were so large and there were paths that meander along the coast with stunning view.

“Come on,” Jonghyun snapped me back to reality, tugging on my wrist. He took my hand and I subconsciously held on his. I was too weak to resist anyway.

Sauntering down the hallway, different staff members of the hotel greeted us with bright smiles and concise bows. There were a lot of foreigners around, whether they’re eating, strolling around or preparing for outdoor activities. It was amazing. I could smell the sea from here.

“We’re going to her room now,” he informed me, clicking the 5th button when we got inside the elevator.

“Her?”

Instead of answering me, he grinned reassuringly at me. I wasn’t convinced though. There are still butterflies in my stomach, considering I didn’t really have a good day yesterday. When we reached the 5th floor, he still held my hand and led the way.

He obtained a card from his pocket and swiped it in an electronic device that detects the card. The door immediately unlocked. I raised my eyebrows, astonished by how things work in this hotel. Everything seems to be so… automatic.

“Lee Soonkyu, we’re here!”

A petite, young-looking girl emerged from the door on the left side. Her eyes were similar to Jonghyun’s so I was positive that she was his sister. Her short blonde hair, which streaked with black and brown highlights, was coiffed flawlessly and she wore a pink bathrobe, a hand on her hip. She looked reassured when she saw Jonghyun. She was pretty like what he had described her on our way here.

Beauty seems to run in his family.

“Thank God,” Soonkyu mumbled, rolling her eyes. “I thought you’re not ever going to come. And how many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me my real name?”

Jonghyun chuckled. “Be nice, Sunny.”

She scoffed. “I will be nice to her,” she retorted. “Not to you though.” Marching in my direction, she held out her hands. I awkwardly responded, taking them in my hands as well. “It’s finally nice to meet you. My name’s Lee Soonkyu but you can call me Sunny. I’m 17 years old.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “Don’t be fooled. She’s 22 years old and she’s my noona.”

“And I’m Jieun!” Another girl emerged from where Sunny appeared earlier. Like Sunny, she was also wearing a pink bathrobe and her long, wavy, black hair was parted on the side. She sprinted gracefully to me, holding out her hands and waving like crazy. She hugged me, squishing my hands and Sunny’s in between.

It felt strange yet oddly comforting. She was acting like we’re friends when we just met.

“But you can call me IU,” she added.

“Noona, you’re suffocating her,” Jonghyun complained, darting them distrusting looks. “She just got here and you’re all hovering around her.”

Sunny made a pft sound. “Oh, come on.” She elbowed him. “It’s not like we don’t know her. You were always talking about her so she’s acquainted to us now.”

“Noona!” he whined, pouting. “I can’t believe you’re telling her about this.”

IU giggled. “My younger brother is all grown up now. Don’t worry. We’ll take good care of her.”

Sunny faced me, smiling. She grasped my left hand while IU held my right. I felt confused for a moment, turning sideways to look for Jonghyun. He plopped down at the couch, looking exhausted. When our eyes met, I frowned and mentally sent him a quick message. I hoped he got it. Help me, I wanted to tell him.

They led me to their room. I let out a soft gasp, slowly absorbing the beautiful scenery before me. I’ve never been here before and I regretted not coming.

Across the two beds were three salon station mirrors with salon chairs. There were lots of salon tools and equipment on the table, all arranged in a tidy manner. Three women stood on the right side, wearing hot pink aprons with the name Shilla Jeju Beauty Salon displayed on the front.

I was left wordless.

Sunny grinned kindly. “After this, we’re going to choose a dress for you,” she told me carefully. “And of course, the shoes. Jonghyun has informed us about your apathy for dresses and shoes.”

I forced a short laugh. “Really, I’m not that…”

Sunny giggled. “That’s okay. We don’t judge you base on that, actually. Besides, that makes you you, right?”

I nodded.

I watched as IU dashed towards the first salon chair, smiling like an excited kid. Then one of the women came to her automatically and started combing her hair. Sunny turned to face me, casting me an encouraging smile. She trotted to the third salon chair, patting the one at the middle.

“Come,” Sunny called, waving her hand. “Sit here.”

IU smiled through the salon mirror. “Don’t be scared. They won’t bite.”

I forced a laugh, flustered. “I’m not.”

As I made my way towards the chair, I felt more butterflies fluttering inside my stomach. I don’t know why I’m feeling homesick all of a sudden. Even if I wasn’t in good terms with Sunggyu right now, I want to see him. He makes me feel like I’m at home.

And honestly? I miss him.

“Do you like Jonghyun?” Sunny blurts out all of a sudden. I watch as the stylist do magic on her hair flawlessly.

I blinked, taken aback by what she said. Jonghyun is one of the most popular people in school. With brilliant skills in basketball, the beauty genes and his charisma, no one could ever say no to him. He was well-liked by everybody, especially the girls. “Um, he’s handsome,” I replied hesitantly. “I can’t say that I don’t have a crush on him.”

IU giggled. “We don’t mean that,” she says. “Do you like like my brother?”

“You mean, do I like him as more than a friend?” I knew what they were trying to say but really, I have never been attracted to him in that kind of way. He’s nice though. He’s a really good friend.”

Sunny puffed her cheeks. “Well, that’s bad. You look good together.”

I cleared my throat. “No. I’m not even pretty.”

“Pft, Jonghyun says the opposite,” IU told me. “He keeps saying you’re pretty. He talks about you a lot. So, we thought, ‘hey, maybe my brother likes her’ because the way he acts around you seems different. He’s very careful. He tries to cheer you up. And we… kind of know about Choi Seunghyun.”

My heart froze at the mention of his name. “Oh.”

“Jonghyun didn’t tell us,” Sunny reassured. “We kind of figured it out on our own. Since the Choi family and our family are acquaintances, they keep talking about it even if we’re around. Jonghyun and Seunghyun are close, too. And Seunghyun has never tried to keep a secret from us.”

“Seunghyun is an only child,” IU adds. “So, he comes to us to play or just talk. He speaks about you a lot. There was never a day that he never spoke about you. Apparently, you’re someone precious to both of them.”

“Both of them? I never knew Jonghyun was Seunghyun’s best friend till he told me a month ago,” I stated, confused. “And Jonghyun and I never talked before.”

“Really? But I thought…” Sunny trailed off. “Never mind.”

I wonder what she was going to say.

♀ ________________________________________________________ 

don't hate on jonghyun. he's actually a nice guy. in fact, i like him so much.

check out my new story, okay! first chap is not out yet but it will be. soon. /smirk