♂ twenty - two

My Little Bride ♀

 

The next morning, we headed down to the water sports beach to try out snorkeling after having breakfast in our suite. I wore my nonexistent black bandeau bikini with neon pink bow on back of brief. Even if I wasn’t technically very ladylike for the past few years, I still know a swimwear if I have one. I’m not stupid.

But since I basically don’t know how to sashay down the aisle and show off my bikini, I put on my cream-colored crop top and cut-off, black denim shorts. I had to hide my embarrassing curves seeing as I haven’t been really exercising so much. I braided my hair so it won’t float around too much while we’re swimming.

Snorkeling wasn’t really at the top of my to-do list here in Maldives. I wanted to try out a lot of things and my mind was all messed up so Sunggyu chose one for me.  Walking hand in hand, he led me to the equipment house.

I’ve thought about Sunggyu’s question last night. I couldn’t sleep so I thought, ‘What the hell, better think about then.’ No. But for real, I was thinking about… opening up to him. Like my mom had said, just because we married without love doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way forever.

So, in the end, why not try? Why not try to open up to Sunggyu? Maybe it would help me move on, too. Besides, that’s what my mom would have wanted.

Riding in a snorkel boat, we—along with other customers—travelled towards the bluer, deeper part of the ocean. The guy-in-charge assured us that it wasn’t that deep. He also gave us few reminders and precautions before going in. He provided us swimmer’s snorkels and diving masks.

“Stay close to your husband,” the guy-in-charge prompted. “If you trust him, then that would be better.”

We sat at the edge of the boat, preparing to dive in. I gripped Sunggyu’s hand with mine. When the guy-in-charge mentioned about me trusting him, I didn’t look up. I felt like it was some sort of déjà vu for the reason that Sunggyu asked me the same topic yesterday.

“Okay, in the count of three…”

I gripped Sunggyu’s hand tighter. Before wearing my diving mask, I realized I had to do it. Tugging on it, I made him face me. He was startled for a while but didn’t let go of my hand. I have to try, I thought. Leaning closer, I gave him a peck on the cheeks.

“I trust you,” I blurted out. I felt my cheeks turning red so I immediately put on the diving mask and swimmer’s snorkel. I could still feel his eyes burning on me. Yanking his wrist lightly, we plunged into the water.

The sound of the gentles wave crashed silently as we went under. Bubbles surrounded us as we swam onward, enjoying the stunning panorama. I’m not a great swimmer nor do I have faith in my petty knowledge of swimming. But with Sunggyu close to me, I feel safe and secure. He held my hand like my life depended on it. I turned my head slightly to his direction and I saw him smile.

I smiled back. A burst of happiness swelled inside me. It felt weird and wonderful.

Minutes later, we were going back to the shore since our snorkeling time has finished. I was drenched all over and so was Sunggyu. He returned the snorkeling equipment and we took time in thanking them.

“Let’s head over to the Spirits Bar,” Sunggyu declared, interlocking his hand with mine. “Get a drink and do another thing later.”

I nodded. “Yeah, sure.”

The Spirits Bar & Lounge, I noticed, is the ideal spot where anyone could just hang out and chill. Sandy floors, lively colour schemes, beautiful settings… make it perfect to unwind and relax. Sunggyu led the whole thing, leaving me impressed that he knows a lot. He ordered the resort’s signature drink.

When we got our drinks, we moved on to the vacant seats at the deck.

“Is it true?”

I looked up, nibbling on the drink. Sunggyu’s eyes were gleaming at me. Taken aback, I shot him a questioning look. “What… why are you staring at me like that?”

Sunggyu showed a full-metallic grin. “You kissed me and then you told me you trust me. That’s worth being happy about.”

I shrugged nonchalantly. I tried to act cool even though his adorable, blissful face was enchanting. “Don’t let it get to your big head,” I said in a monotone voice. “You still have to prove that you can be trusted. I don’t trust that easily.”

“Still,” he insists stubbornly, “that means a lot to me.”

I blushed furiously. “Stop it, Sunggyu.”

He chuckled in delight, sipping his drink. “It’s nice to see that side again, Sooyoung,” he stated softly, just soft enough for me to hear. He heaved a sigh and leaned back. His eyes wandered around the place. “I want to try wakeboarding.”

“Then go for it,” I urged him.

“Really? You want in, too?” He looked happier than the usual.

I shook my head vigorously. “Of course not! That’s too dangerous.”

After the break, we turned back to the water sports beach for wakeboarding. Sunggyu looked eager to do it since on our way back there, he can’t stop jumping and talking. I let out a little laugh seeing him excited like a little kid. He looked adorable. I stayed on the side while Sunggyu was being imparted with the rules, precautions and safety reminders of wakeboarding.

Of course, I couldn’t help but feel a little bit worried. I haven’t tried wakeboarding but I think it’s really risky. I think.

I watched as Sunggyu follows this guy towards the wakeboarding boat.

“You’re coming, aren’t you?” Sunggyu asked, turning a little to me.

I shook my head, waving my hand dismissively. “No. I’ll be here.”

He grimaced. “You’re not going to support me?”

I rolled my eyes. “That’s why I’m staying so I can watch you from here.”

He tilted his head to the side. “Okay, I’ll need a message of encouragement from you.”

My eyebrows met. “What? What should I say?”

He gave me an impish grin as he took a couple of steps forward. He reached out for my hands and held them in his. Leaning forward, he lessened the gap between us. When I knew what was coming, my panic mode settled in. Should I kick him away? Or should I kiss him back?

However, before I could even move away, he cupped the back of my head and pulled me closer. He brushed his lips against mine, making my heart race. The kiss was gentle and passionate. I wanted it to last longer…

Okay, what the heck am I thinking? I shouldn’t even like this.

Well, you told yourself you’re going to try. Why not enjoy it for a little while?

When he pulled away, he rested his forehead against mine. He was so close, I felt scared that he could see my reddening cheeks. “Now I’m ready.”

I rolled my eyes, trying to compose myself. My heart won’t stop beating so fast. “Crazy.”

From afar, I observed him interacting with the men in the wakeboarding boat. A couple of minutes passed by and he was standing above the water. Or on the wakeboard. I could barely see the board from here. It looked like he was standing on water.

Then the wakeboarding boat started to move forward.

Slowly, the boat goes faster and faster.

Sunggyu looks like he’s enjoying it so much. I wonder if—

“That your boyfriend over there?”

“Huh?” I twirled around, only to discover a stunning, tall guy next to me. He spoke Korean and he… well, he’s definitely Korean. My eyes drifted to his chest and then Sunggyu comes into my mind immediately. I looked up, cleared my throat and looked to the front. “Um, yeah.”

“What are you doing here alone?” he asks.

“I just felt like staying here,” I answered coldly. There’s no need to be nice to strangers.

He extended a hand with a smile. “My name’s Min-seok. But I’m better known as Xiumin.”

I responded. “Sooyoung.”

“He should watch out,” he stated, crossing his hands on his chest. “His girlfriend’s a beaut. What if she gets stolen away from him?” There was a hint of playfulness in his voice so I played along. And I have to confess, he’s really, really good-looking. I wonder if he’s older or younger than Sunggyu.

I scoffed. “Good luck.”

For the next couple of minutes, I felt grateful for Xiumin for keeping me entertained the whole time Sunggyu was wakeboarding. Just watching him would be boring. We talked about a lot of things but our personal lives—well, except when he told me that he doesn’t have a girlfriend which was completely irrelevant to our discussion. He was funny and he loved to tease me a lot. He also likes to be sarcastic which I like about him since I do the same sometimes.

Just not around Sunggyu.

His endless blabbering is hilarious, too.

So, instead of Xiumin or Min-seok, I call him Min. It’s shorter that way.

Then he excused himself, saying that his family must have been looking for him now. We bid each other farewell.

When I turned around, there was Sunggyu running towards me. He looks… upset. Was the wakeboarding a disappointment to him? I thought he did well.

“Did you do well?” I asked.

He stood in front of me, a dark expression clouding his face. “Who was that guy?”

I swiveled a little towards Min’s direction and then gazed back to Sunggyu. “You mean the guy I was talking to earlier? Oh, his name’s Min. I just met him a while ago.”

“Yeah, you looked like you enjoyed talking to him,” Sunggyu snapped. He shook his hand through his hair, splattering water everywhere. Looking pissed, he brushed past through me.

What the heck was his problem?

I trailed after him but I didn’t bother keeping up with his pace. He was too fast. But I could still see his back, which was okay, so I would know where he’s going. Reaching the Spirits Bar, I watched him ordering some drink—its name I do not know of—and went to the same table.

I ordered a can of Coke and proceeded to where he was.

“What’s your problem?” I snapped.

Sunggyu scoffed. It was the first time I saw him look this pissed. “What’s my problem? It’s—”

“Hey, Soo!” Bad timing. A really bad timing. I watched as Sunggyu snaps his head to the side to see who called me. When realization dawned on his face, he crossed his arms on his chest and tensed. Min waves at me and acts like we’re the closest friends. “We meet again!”

I gave him a thin smile. “Yeah, we did.”

He looks at Sunggyu. “Oh, hey! You’re Sooyoung’s boyfriend, right? Nice to meet you. My name’s Kim Min-seok but Sooyoung calls me Min, I don’t even know why. What’s your name?” He extended a hand.

Sunggyu accepted his hand, shaking it. “My name’s Sunggyu. And I’m not her boyfriend.”

“You’re not? But she said…?”

He stood up. “I’m her husband.”


 

But you know, I'm getting of putting author's notes, otl.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the update, and comment, too! xoxo