♂ twenty - four

My Little Bride ♀

 

“…I’m sorry. I would’ve won if I could have.”

I admit Zinger was right. Even if Sunggyu didn’t win and I go on a date with Min-seok, Zinger would still have the chance to go on a date with Sunggyu anyway. That’s why when Sunggyu won, I couldn’t make up my mind to either celebrate because it’s still fair—I still get to go on a date with Min-seok—or sulk because Sunggyu is going on a date with that two-faced woman.

I hated her. From the very start, I knew she wasn’t the type who’d be all like, “Hey! I’m Sunggyu’s friend from college who developed a relationship with him back then but it was nothing. Let’s be friends because I’ve moved on now!” type of woman. She was definitely worse than that.

And I hate it when I let this disturb me.

During the game, I was torn between cheering for Sunggyu or Min-seok to win. Because like Zinger said, it still goes both ways. But honestly? I wanted Sunggyu to win but choose not to go on that date. I would probably do the same.

But he didn’t, the small voice says. It shows up when I least want it to. He’s on a date right now with that Zinger woman and you’re here, thinking about him and forgetting Min. Just ditch the guy and bring back what belongs to you.

That sounds so wrong. Sunggyu doesn’t even belong to me if it weren’t for the pact.  He probably would’ve chose Zinger than me. I’m 17 and emotional. Zinger is 20 plus and happy. Get the difference?

“You really do love him, don’t you?”

I blinked, realizing I was staring into space for a little while now. “…what?”

“You love that Sunggyu guy,” he concluded, leaning back.

Love him? I don’t think so. I shook my head in disbelief. “That’s impossible,” I told him.

Min-seok shrugged. “Impossible? In love, nothing is.”

“How long are you two married?” he asks.

“One month?” I wasn’t sure. I haven’t been counting.

“How old are you?” He tilted his head slightly to the right, scratching his temple. “You know, I never really knew your age. You look so impeccably young and beautiful. When you told me you were married, I thought, were women this beautiful when they just got married?”

I chuckled feebly. “You’re good with words but no, I’m not. And I’m 17 years old.”

His eyes widened. “You’re 17 and you’re married?!” he gasped. “No wonder you look so young. I’m like a year older than you and you’re married? Why the rush?”

“I’m not young,” I protested, scowling. “I’m turning 18 next month.”

He scoffed. “Yeah, you’re definitely old,” he remarked sarcastically. “Because marrying in your 20s are too mainstream, you go for less. That’s real nice. Are you pregnant? Is that why you’re marrying him? Because girls just don’t marry when they’re 17. They marry if they’re pregnant and the guy is left with no choice. I must say, Sunggyu has some good points but come on—”

I laughed incredulously. I see myself—when Seunghyun was still alive—in him. He’s sarcastic and he talks a lot. “You’re funny,” I commented. “But no, I’m not pregnant. No, that’s not my reason for marrying him.”

“Then what is?” He wanted to know. “At least, before I make my move on you, I’d know if I ought to do it or not. I’ll know if your reason for marrying him is rational enough for me to give up now.”

I laughed. His words sounded ridiculous but it made sense to me. “Why would you make a move on a married woman?”

He shrugged. “Because I find her attractive and cool? I want to know why you got married so early.”

I inhaled deeply. “You wouldn’t want to know.”

He leered. “Yeah, right. This is me not wanting to know when I told you I want to know.”

I cackled. Somehow this guy has made my day a little better despite that horrible arrival of his cousin. And Sunggyu dating her right now. I contemplated whether I should tell a stranger about the preposterous pact both Sunggyu’s and my grandfathers have made.

“If you can’t tell me…” he trailed off, searching for the right words. “… then I might have to force it out on you. I’m a really good communicator,” he concluded.

I rolled my eyes, expressing amusement. “Fine. But you’re going to think that this is absurd.”

He rolled his eyes sardonically. “I already do.”

“This marriage is created on a deal,” I stated briefly. But it was enough for him to understand. If he’s smart and archaic, then he’ll know what I mean. Arranged marriages are only known to happen on Muslim/Islam countries, that’s what I know.

He puckered his brow. “What? But that’s totally old! Why would—I don’t get it. Who made that deal? Your father? Wait, are you a rich man’s daughter or something? I see that in movies or read it in Google. It’s usually for social and economic statuses… stuff.”

I shook my head. “No, I’m not a rich man’s daughter.”

“Then who thought about that deal? They’re totally dumb.”

I pursed my lips. “I don’t think my grandfather’s dumb.”

“Oh, your grandfather made that deal?” He muttered. “Oh, . I’m sorry.”

I waved my hands. “Why are you sorry? It’s fine.”

He propped one elbow on the table, his chin resting on the back of his hand. “Now that I know why you’re married, I have made a decision,” he declared, grinning resolutely.

“Decision about what?”

“Making a move on you,” he replied nonchalantly. “Just because you’re married doesn’t mean I won’t make a move on you. I’ll make the most out of it since you’re still here in Maldives. But if we depart, oh, I’m just going to find you through Zinger noona. I’m pretty sure she’s going to do everything just to stay connected with your husband.”

The mood turned sour all of a sudden. Just the mention of that woman’s name made everything worse. Why did he have to bring her up?

“Yeah, good luck with that,” I grumbled bitterly, crossing my arms.

The rest of the lunch date went by swiftly. Mostly, Min-seok did all the interrogation. He asked me things about myself and how I was back then. Of course, I skipped the parts about Seunghyun. I didn’t want to talk about him with a stranger. And besides, I’m currently in the process of working out my feelings.

But most of the time, I was thinking about Sunggyu. Wondering about what he’s doing with that woman. Or what he’s telling her. Or maybe if he’s having the moment of life with her. Zinger had mentioned about their relationship before so I assumed that Sunggyu may relive those memories with her and then… oh, I don’t even want to think about it.

In fact, no matter how I tried to focus on Min-seok, my mind drifts to Sunggyu. Which is a new thing because I rarely think about Sunggyu after we got married. I wasn’t that interested in him and I was still thinking about Seunghyun. So I barely have time to think about my husband.

And now, all I think about is him.

Is this me, falling in love with him?

Am I really falling in love with him?

After lunch time, Min-seok introduced me to the rest of his family. I waited for Sunggyu to show up with that woman Zinger. But he didn’t. I assumed that he was probably having the time of his life with her. Besides, I think that’s woman more fun than I am. I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually chose her than me.

Min-seok’s family was a happy bunch of people. They kept smiling, greeting and laughing like there’s no tomorrow. I actually found myself laughing with them for no reason, which made me a little crazy but it was worth it. For that short time, I forgot about Sunggyu and his betrayal.

I also met this guy named Kai, who I would’ve made a move on if I was bold enough, but then I knew that he had a girlfriend who is a million times prettier than me. No such luck.

I probably hoped and expected Sunggyu to show for more than two hours. After all, he promised me banana riding. But thanks to Min-seok and his family’s support, they went banana riding with me. Kai and Krystal were there, too.

I had fun but it would’ve been more enjoyable if Sunggyu was there with me. After all, I should’ve been with him right now because it’s our honeymoon.

But no. I’m not. I’m with someone else and so was he.

And here I am, making a big deal and over-analyzing things. One word was in my mind: betrayal.

I was a fool. I was a fool for even trusting Sunggyu. My intuition has been right from the very start. I shouldn’t have tried and opened up. Because in the end, I’m going to end up disappointed and hurt. I’m a big fool. How can I be so stupid? I swore to myself I was going to be careful.

I believed him anyway, I thought. He sounded so convincing. How can I not believe him?

I remember Seunghyun reminding me over and over again, “People can sound convincing when they lie so you can never know if they’re telling the truth or just lying.” And he’s got a point. At least before I got in deeper trouble, I knew he was lying.

I hate liars the most.

So, I guess you’re back to being cold now, huh?The small voice said. And partly, it’s also because of this small, strange voice from the back of my head telling me to trust him and all.

And yes, I guess I’m going back to that direction.

I’m your intuition, Sooyoung. Not that small, strange voice.

I groaned inwardly. The last thing I needed was talking to myself… mentally.

And then I saw him. Sunggyu, who else? He was with that Zinger woman. Really, why is her name Zinger? It sounds so ridiculous. I’d rather call her Hana, which sounds better. He looks really… happy and contented. Her arm was looping through his and he didn’t even get it off.

Then suddenly, my heart feels heavy. Like I was in pain.

Fear took over me. For a long time, I was actually scared again. Because this wasn’t just any pain. It was the same pain I felt when Seunghyun and I broke up once because of his parents’ disapproval and the endless schemes by Gyuri and Jiyoung.

This can’t be, I thought frightfully. I can’t. This can’t happen to me again.

“Soo?”

I threw him a sideways glance. “Yeah?”

“Would you like to go on a date with me tomorrow?”

“But you know I’m married, right?”

He shrugged. “Yeah but I don’t care.”

“I’ll think about it.” Which would probably mean that I wouldn’t go with him. What if Sunggyu asks me on a date, too? Or maybe do something we’ve planned out beforehand? Besides, it’s our honeymoon. We’re supposed to enjoy this. Just the two of us.

Right?


 

college life has finally started for me and trust me, it ain't easy. i get so tired every now and then but there would still be updates.

wish me luck! i'm going to cut back in writing for a while. i have to focus on my studies first since my parents paid a lot of money for me.

but i promise to finish this and my other story. and when i promise, there's no turning back.