♀ nineteen

My Little Bride ♀

 

I rested at the wooden beach chair at the terrace, feeling the cold breeze caressing my skin. The terrace offers a magnificent view of the vast waters of Pacific Ocean and Mount Halla, which makes the night even more beautiful.

Inside, Sunny and IU are setting up the bed. Krystal is in the bathroom, changing her clothes. Since I was forced to stay, Sunny offered to sleep on the same bed with me while the boys stay on the other suite just next door.

I had worn my nighties an hour ago. Right before the gathering was over, the kids were permitted to leave early so they can sleep first. I didn’t want to stay anyway. I can’t admit that I was definitely bored the entire time because all they ever talk about was basketball. And I can’t relate.

Holding my phone, I stared at Sunggyu’s number for a long time. I was hesitating whether I should call him or not. I didn’t have the courage to do it. I was too scared.

But then, I didn’t have a choice now, did I? I have to let him know I’m not going home until tomorrow afternoon. I dialed his number and waited for the worst thing that I could happen. What if he doesn’t pick up his phone?

Well, it’s not like I should care if he won’t anyway.

“Hello?”

I opened my mouth but no words came out. My throat was dry all of a sudden. After a 5-second pause, I cleared my throat and gave myself a mental shake. Get a grip, I reminded myself. “Sunggyu, hey.”

I heard rustles from the other line. Was he sleeping? I glanced at the digital clock on my phone. 11:04 PM, it says.

“Soo? Are you okay?” he asks hoarsely, like he just woke up. “Did something happen? What time are you coming back?”

A smile etched on my lips. He sounds like he was worried about me and I actually liked it. Hearing his voice makes me feel better, like I’m just beside him. I don’t know how he makes me feel like this but I like it. Even though he annoys me pretty much the entire time I’m with him.

You miss him, the small voice tells me.

I chuckled shortly. “Calm down,” I told him. “I’m fine. I just called to tell you that I won’t be coming home until tomorrow afternoon. Turns out this is going to be longer than I expected. Jonghyun’s family offered for me to stay—”

“His family?” He echoed. “His family’s there?”

I nodded even though he can’t see it. “Um, yeah,” I answered quietly. “I’ll be back tomorrow.”

Uncomfortable silence followed.

“I should sleep,” I blurted out.

“Hey, Soo?”

“Yeah?” My breath hitched for a moment there.

“I’m sorry about yesterday.”

I smiled. “Good night.”

“And I miss you.”

He hung up before I could say something. I inhaled deeply and my pulse raced. I was stunned. Too stunned. He told me he misses me. He told me he misses me. And I didn’t even reply or say anything back.

“Sooyoung?” Sunny called out from the room.

I wheeled around, raising my eyebrows. “Yeah?”

“Have you told your parents yet?” she inquired, walking towards the banister.

I nodded. “Yeah, I did,” I answered. I don’t know if they consider Sunggyu as a parent. “I told them I’m coming back home tomorrow afternoon.”

Sunny grinned. “That’s great.”

Grinning, I cuddled the jacket I borrowed from Sunggyu close to me to keep me warm. I don’t have the slightest idea of how it got inside my bag nor do I recall me putting it inside. But I’m glad I did anyway. His jacket was warm and cozy.

“You look happy,” Sunny commented, scrutinizing my face. “Do you miss your parents?”

I averted my gaze from her, gulping nervously. The expressions on my face were too evident. I need to control it around them. What happened to being cold? “Yeah,” I replied inelegantly, scratching my temple. “I miss them.”

It wasn’t a lie. I miss my parents.

“Come on,” Sunny urged, nodding her head to the room. She tapped my arm lightly. “Let’s sleep. We still have a lot of things to do tomorrow before we go home.”

I followed Sunny to the room. Bidding them good night, I quietly glide under the warm blanket and heaved a sigh. The darkness settles in. The classical music and laughter were the last things I heard until I fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning, Sunny’s restless shifts woke me up. It was annoying. I probably had less than five hours of sleep due to the constant wake ups. Her arms and legs were all over the place. IU’s endless snoring resonated throughout the room. I let out a soft laugh, wondering how charmingly hilarious these girls are.

Waking up, I got out of the bed as noiseless as I could. I wandered my eyes around whilst wearing the jacket swiftly. The alarm clock from the bedside table says it’s still six in the morning. Guess I woke up too early, I thought.

I grabbed my duffel bag from the floor and went inside the bathroom. It’s time to think about my life decisions. Grabbing the bathroom necessities, I stepped inside the shower and took a bath.

Next week is autumn break, which means our honeymoon would be taking place next week. I can’t say that I’m excited to be with Sunggyu. After all, it’s still strange to have a 22-year-old husband whilst the wife is 17-years-old. If I was younger, then he’d be called e. I’m turning eighteen in a month so it’s no worries.

Last night revisited my mind, causing the corners of my mouth to tilt up. The words I miss you has always been cliché to me and I wasn’t expecting to hear it from anyone ever since Seunghyun’s death. Last time I checked, Seunghyun has repeated those words countless times whenever we’re apart from each other.

Sunggyu’s brief I miss you was enough to make me smile.

I don’t understand where my grandpa got this idea for an agreement with his best friend but it must have a reason. I mean, why me? Why Sunggyu? Do they just randomly pick out who should marry who and pray for the best?

But what if I end up liking Sunggyu instead? Like my mom told me, two people who are not in love get married but it doesn’t mean they won’t have love forever. It won’t be impossible, me liking Sunggyu someday.

But I don’t deserve it, I pondered to myself, the memories of the past coming back to me. After what happened to Seunghyun, the least thing I deserve is to have someone love me and to have someone to love. I don’t deserve any of it at all.

Get a grip, Sooyoung. I’ll be heading to the dangerous road if I don’t stop myself.

Few minutes later, I got out of the bathroom only to find Krystal, Sunny and IU preparing and making the bed. They greeted me good morning and I did the same. When all of us were done, we met up with Jonghyun’s family and headed to Cheonjee for breakfast.

Jonghyun tagged along with me, telling me stories of what happened in their room last night. Seeing their family complete makes me miss my family, too. It’s been almost a month since I last saw them.

During breakfast hour, I got to know Jonghyun’s family more. They came from Busan but moved to Seoul when Jonghyun was 10 years old to expand their business. His father is a former basketball player for 40 years until he retired to continue the family business. His mother is her high school’s cheerleader and former beauty queen of South Korea.

Sunny was a badminton player during her high school period up until college. But she’s finishing her business studies to take over her father’s business in the future. IU is a volleyball player from high school. While studying culinary course, she tries to play volleyball during her leisure time. Taemin and Jonghyun both play basketball, too.

I was embarrassed when they asked me what I like to do. I was the only one different, the only probable outsider of the group. Sungmin is a businessman who owns a well-known coffee shop worldwide; Wooyoung is an aspiring doctor; and Krystal is a singer. I was embarrassed because dancing isn’t really a knockout in the real world.

Most dancers end up being choreographers owning local dance studios. Most of them don’t really end up good. But I told them anyway. I was a little flustered when Krystal praised me the most. She said she’s always wanted to learn dancing.

After breakfast, they decided to meet up at the tennis courts in an hour and play. Since I didn’t bring any sportswear, Sunny lent me one. I was terrified since I wasn’t sports-driven. Exercises I can keep up with but sports? I fail in PE a lot.

I teamed up with Jonghyun for the doubles and played against Sunny-Sungmin team. But they won anyway. They were pretty competitive whereas I’m a definite failure of a partner for Jonghyun. For the singles, I played against Krystal. It was fun though. We both kept laughing because we didn’t know to play but I still manage to win.

After playing tennis, they went for horseback riding. At first, I refused to ride on a horse because I was scared of what it might do. You know, like if you touch it and then it suddenly goes crazy and runs like mad. That’s scary. But they forced me anyway. As long as I ride with Jonghyun, they said I’d be safe.

In the end, I still ended up riding with Jonghyun.

Then we had lunch at the same place. All the awkwardness and anxiety I have yesterday was all gone. I felt like I was fitting right in. Having fun and just playing together was enough for me.

After lunch, we went to Badang to rest and chat. We talked about sorts of things but I never shared anything but myself. I skipped the part where I’m married to a 22-year-old music teacher in my own school. It would be strange if I tell them truth.

And to be honest, I was starting to get used to being around them. Sunny, IU and Krystal were so nice to me and for once, it actually felt good to have girl friends that you can talk to, be yourself and not judge you for what they see. I admit that I was undeniably awkward like a turtle when I talk to them but I really don’t want to lose them.

And for a change, I wanted to have friends. I wanted to share it to Sunggyu.

Before we left, we went to the beach as our last resort. They took photos and played tag. I had swimming competition with the other girls, including Jonghyun’s mother, of course. I was in the second-to-the-last place since I barely reached the end.

They also suggested couple races. The girls would hang onto the guys’ back while they race for first place. Jonghyun and I were almost at the finishing line when Sungmin and Sunny caught up. We were second and Wooyoung-IU was third. Surprisingly, Taemin-Krystal is last place.

I made sure I don’t leave any of my stuff before we leave. It was already three in the afternoon when they decided to check out. I sent Sunggyu a message that I would probably reach Seodaemun-gu by six in the evening.

“Did you have fun?” Jonghyun wanted to know. We were waiting for our flight. I was sitting between him and Sunny. I was tired and drowsy so sitting makes me even sleepier.

I nod lightly, trying to prevent my eyes from closing. “Yes. It was so much fun.”

“Here,” he urged, pulling my head and bringing it on his shoulder. “You can rest while we wait.”

“Thanks, Jonghyun. I really had fun.” It was the last thing I said before falling into a deep sleep.

♀ ________________________________________________________ 

check out my new story okay? and leave some comments. i would love to know what you're

thinking while you read this chapter. thank you! /blows kisses/