♂ thirty - two

My Little Bride ♀

 

Sunggyu’s POV

“You have your girlfriend over there or something?” I glanced up, feeling confused and surprised at the same time. I wondered if it was the question or because I was snapped back to reality. After Sooyoung’s surprising performance, I was a little bit worried. Of course, I was proud of her. She was, literally, the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen tonight.

The dress made her even more beautiful. I wonder how I was so lucky to have her anyway.

I cleared my throat, leaning back. “Yeah,” I answered, nodding. “The one who just did the solo performance from SYG Varsity Team is my girlfriend.” I didn’t want to tell him Sooyoung was my wife. I mean, how weird would it be? Just thinking about it… well, never mind.

I had expected him to look surprised. After all, a 22-year-old doesn’t just date who is five years younger than him. But I didn’t care. I was in love with Sooyoung. That’s all it matters. The guy just nodded, taking a sip from his beer.

“You have your girlfriend there?” I asked him.

He shook his head. “Nah, I have my cousin there. She’s from a different school.”

I didn’t respond. My mind was preoccupied with something else, like Sooyoung and her injury. Just because people tease me about having small eyes doesn’t mean I don’t have a sharp eye. I saw how Sooyoung’s foot juddered while they were dancing. And how she bites the inside of her cheeks whenever she’s in pain.

I’ve known her my entire life since I practically grew up with her. I know her hobbies, her likes and dislikes. I know everything. Well, except for now that she has changed. I can’t actually predict what she feels. One minute, she’s being cold and then, the next, she would be letting me kiss her.

It’s not that I hate the kissing part. I was very happy when she finally gave in. I was the happiest. Finally, there was a big change in our married life.

I don’t regret it one bit.

When I heard few rustles and whispers, I straightened up. The two hosts walked to the center, catching everyone’s attention. I was scared, too. Heck, I couldn’t think of anything but Sooyoung. I couldn’t even care less if they lose or whatever. I just need her to be okay.

“Looks like our judges are having a hard time in deliberating,” One host says teasingly, earning a hoot from the audience. I couldn’t hear the rest. I was too focused on the mention of the school’s name. Even if I was terribly troubled about Sooyoung’s ankle, I wanted them to win, too.

The female host raised the envelope in the air. “In this envelope,” she commences, “is where the names of the three winners of the hip hop category. Of course, I’m going to announce the 2nd place first.” She opens it and grabs the paper inside. “2nd place goes to… the Woollim Buffalos!”

The audience cheered. The Woollim Team emerges from one side, laughing and jumping in pure ecstasy.

“1st place goes to… SYG Tigers!”

I cheered, together with the crowd. I stood up, too. The SYG team emerges, jumping and clapping in happiness. It was enough to be able to grab the 1st place. I searched through the team, expecting to see Yuri and Sooyoung but both weren’t there. Even with that, I was starting to feel worried.

“And finally, I announce the champion for the hip hop category! It’s the TS Warriors!”

I couldn’t share the same enthusiasm I had for the Woollim to the TS because I knew that some of them were the reason why Sooyoung and Yuri got hurt. But, I still managed to clap for them anyway.

“And now for the ballet category!” the male declared, opening the envelope. “For the 2nd place… let us give a round of applause for the TS Warriors!

“For the 1st place… Woollim Buffalos!”

I could almost jump. If it’s SYG then… “And for the champions in the ballet category… congratulations, SYG Tigers!”

The SYG members screamed for joy, hugging each other vigorously. But still, I couldn’t spot Yuri nor Sooyoung. Maybe they were somewhere that I couldn’t see. There are a lot of tall people so maybe they were hidden someplace. As long as Sooyoung is safe, I’ll feel fine.

“For the final category,” the female continued, opening the envelope together with the male host. “We will announce it together. For the 2nd place, we have… Jeon Hyosung from TS Warriors!”

The TS team congratulated Hyosung as she walks toward the host to receive the reward. She doesn’t look too happy to grab the 2nd place.

“For the 1st place we have…” the male host trailed off, glancing at the paper. “We have Kim Hyuna from the Cube Archers!” The audience cheered.

“And for the champion,” the female host offered, smiling at the crowd. She glances at the paper. “I was told that the original performer has been injured. But they have immediately replaced a new one. Give a round of applause to… Jung Sooyoung from the SYG Tigers!”

I stood, clapping so hard. I felt proud. Of course, I felt proud. It’s Sooyoung, my wife. She was amazing. I do not doubt why the judges had chosen her. Expecting for Sooyoung to pop out, I gulped nervously, feeling confusingly excited.

“Congratulations to the SYG Tigers!” the male host yelled. “Would the captain like to say a few words?”

But she didn’t come out. Instead, it was one of the members who received the award. Not even Yuri came out.

“Good evening.” I forgot what her name was since I wasn’t particularly familiar with the team. “My name is Jia and I’m from the SYG Varsity Squad. Unfortunately, Kwon Yuri unnie, our captain, and Jung Sooyoung unnie are injured and they’re currently being treated in the hospital. But on behalf of the two of our members who worked really hard for the rewards we have received, we would like to thank you guys for your support. And for the school who has thoroughly advocated to our requests. If only people would stop doing a foul play”—I noticed Jia shooting Hyosung a dirty look—“then everything would be okay in the end. Nevertheless, we’re very grateful with these. To the SYG Tigers!”

Standing up, I excused myself from the guy I talked to earlier. I kept myself low, in case the other people were still watching. Rummaging through my pocket, I got my phone ready to call Sooyoung when I get out of the hall.

I was happy for the SYG Squad but I had more important things to worry about. I pulled up my hood to cover half of my face, in case someone from the school came to the competition and sees me or something. Quickly, I dialed Sooyoung’s number on my phone.

“Hello?”

I tried to catch my breath. “Where are you?”

“I’m outside the hall,” she answered. She sounds sad. “Yuri and I are heading to your car.”

“I’ll be there.”

True to my word, I ran as fast as I could. It was the first time I heard her sounding so… desperate. It was the first time that she needed my help. Maybe she was hurt so bad that… Ah, I can’t even think. For now, I just want her to be fine. I should have stopped her. What if it gets out of hand? What if she can’t dance again? I’d blame myself for not stopping her.

As soon as I was out, the cold air surprised me. Hugging myself tighter, I tried to warm myself but was distracted when a thought came into my mind. Is Sooyoung fine? Is she cold? I walked faster, speeding the pace.

After Sooyoung was born, my entire world had revolved around her. At first, I thought that what I felt for her was those feelings you have for your sister. That brotherly love? I kept an eye over her, protected her from the bullies and been there for her when she needed me the most. I don’t know. I was used to… being around her all the time that I can’t imagine a day without her.

It’s strange. I know. If people knew this, they would tell me that I’m too obsessed with her. That was the main reason why I had drifted away from her. When we moved back to South Korea, I ignored her phone calls, her emails and her letters. I even had girlfriends and flings. I went out as much as I could, trying to deny the reality. I wanted to prove to them that… I wasn’t obsessed with her. That I could actually make it through without her.

But even if I had ignored her, I made sure I was apprised of what she’s up to. I had Yunho for that. That’s how I knew about Seunghyun. That’s who I knew about his accident and how she was so in love with him. And that was when I realized that I didn’t love her as a sister. I see her more than that. I see her as someone I want to spend the rest of my life with.

I ran faster when I spotted the familiar brownish hair of Sooyoung. Her hair reflects a little brown when the light hits it. When she saw me, a faint smile drew on her lips. Next to her was Yuri, who looks really frail.

“What happened?” I asked anxiously.

Sooyoung glanced at Yuri. “I think Yuri’s injury got worse,” she answered. “It’s because of the ballet category. You know how ballet dances usually… anyway, it got worse and we need to go to the hospital. Mine’s… well, I think I broke my ankle or something.”

“Then let’s go to the hospital,” I suggested, taking Yuri from Sooyoung. Carefully, I helped her get in the backseat without hurting anything. She would shudder in pain every time she moves her injured feet. Sooyoung would remind me to be careful, her warm hand placed on my arm as if to strike a chord.

After helping Yuri, I urged Sooyoung to get inside. I offered to help but she rejected it. I stood behind her, in case she needed my help. Watching her get in was difficult for me. Not when I really want to assist her. But I don’t see any reason why she would reject it. Was she mad or something?

I didn’t waste time. As soon as I was inside the car, I rushed to the nearest hospital as fast as I could.

 

o u o

hello. midterms are over.

and now i can finally worry about my report next week, what a freak ;__;

comments would be lovely.

and i was thinking, would you guys like me to reply on your comments?

i mean, i don't think it's necessary at all. or i can if you want me to, gaise.

o w o