♀ thirty - seven

My Little Bride ♀

 

I don’t remember the last time I ran so fast that it took me less than five minutes to reach where I was headed to. When I was in high school, I wasn’t much for sports because my interests were completely directed to composing and just… singing. But if it was ever necessary to join, I’m alright at it. I play a few times with friends, too.

When I was in college, I made sure to spare time for playing. Locking myself up in the room isn’t exactly idyllic if I wanted to stay fit and robust. I have tried joining few track & field contests when I was up for it. I was a good runner but not the best, anyway.

I didn’t have time to stop at the counter to ask for questions. Myungsoo was smart enough to ask which room Sooyoung was. By the time Myungsoo broke the news, I grabbed the nearest sweater which was hung on a rack and the keys for the car. Gayoon and Myungsoo followed behind, keeping up with my pace.

I was worried.

I know it has been months since the last time I saw Sooyoung. But I still kept up with her, or what she’s been doing. Thanks to Yunho for that, of course.

The moment I reached the room, I jolted into a halt. My hand was inches close to the doorknob and I could either turn it or turn around and walk away. I’m the worst husband, I thought to myself. I could feel the curious stares from Myungsoo and Gayoon piercing on my back but they didn’t bother asking. They understood me. I know they do.

But I turned to the left and was surprised when I saw Yunho. He had his hands on his face, looking all sort of depressed and upset. And then… Zinger was across her, looking penitent. What was she doing here?

“What the hell are you doing here?” I was referring to Zinger. Marching towards her, I felt Myungsoo grab my arm to stop me. When I’m mad, I don’t acknowledge relationships and histories. I forget them, especially when someone I love was hurt. What if Gayoon and Myungsoo were right? What if she was planning something all along?

She blinked rapidly, looking staggered when she saw me in front of her. Her hands immediately flew to her face, covering it like she had done something wrong. Wait, but perhaps, she had done something wrong.

“What did you do, Hana?” I wanted to know.

She shook her head vigorously. When she glanced up, there were tears in her eyes. She looked troubled. Really troubled. And I had this sudden thought that maybe she had something to do with the accident.

“Hana, tell me what the hell happened?” I repeated, getting impatient.

I turned sideways. “Yunho?”

“S-Sunggyu…” She trembled. “I’m really sorry. I-I didn’t… I was… She suddenly pushed me out of the way. It w-w-was… supposed to be… m-me.”

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I was about to tell Myungsoo to take his hand off but then it wasn’t him. It was Yunho. “Sunggyu, this won’t help. Don’t blame her for this.”

“How am I supposed to react if I don’t know what happened?” I spat out. So Zinger did have something to do with the accident.

“You have to make me a promise,” Yunho told me. “You can’t blame anyone for this, especially this woman you know.” He gestured at Zinger. “You can’t make a scene and you have to keep yourself calm. I’m going to tell you what really happened before the accident.”

“You were there?” I asked peevishly.

He nodded. “Now, now. You have to make me a promise.”

Sunggyu groaned. “Fine, fine. Just tell me what happened.”

“Sunggyu,” Yunho called.

I inhaled deeply. “I promise.”

For the next minutes, I did try to calm myself. Gayoon and Myungsoo were next to me, both listening to what Yunho had said. I can’t believe it. The entire months I was on bad terms with Sooyoung were hard for her. The moment I broke it off with Sooyoung, Zinger had impulsively worked her ways with her.

Turns out Sooyoung has been trying to reach me. I was just ignoring it. I was a fool for ignoring it. I don’t… I don’t even know what got into me that I continued paying no attention of her. I was really, really stupid.

Zinger had offered to help me at the same time she told Sooyoung she was pregnant. Yes, I was very surprised at that. It was a week after my dispute with Sooyoung when Zinger told her that. Sooyoung must have thought I was the father of Zinger’s child. She must have thought something happened between me and Zinger while we were on bad terms.

But I won’t even do it with Zinger. Not when I’m committed to Sooyoung.

And then Zinger confronted Sooyoung an hour ago. Yunho didn’t really know what happened but when he spotted Sooyoung with Zinger, they were already outside the house, raising voices and engaging in a heated conversation.

And that’s when it got out of hand. Zinger dashed out of the house, thoughtlessly stopping at the middle of the road when a car came rushing down the street. Of course, Sooyoung noticed it. Yunho told me how Sooyoung pushed Zinger away and the car hit her instead.

He told me how it happened so fast. So fast that he couldn’t even stop Sooyoung from doing the unthinkable.

I shot Zinger a look. “You’re pregnant?”

Yunho scoffed lightly. “You didn’t know? She says you’re the father.”

I chuckled in disbelief. “What? Nothing happened between us, Yunho.”

“Yah, Yunho oppa,” Gayoon inserted, shooting Yunho a glare. Since when were our families like this? Sooyoung’s family and mine used to be good friends. “Yes, my brother does attract women. A lot of them. But just because a lot of them think he’s quite good-looking doesn’t mean he can go and impregnate women. Myungsoo and I were with him the entire time.”

“Stay out of this, Gayoon,” I snapped.

“Well, yeah? That’s what Sooyoung told me.”

“Are you really going to believe this woman than me?”

“I don’t really know who to trust now, Sunggyu. After what you did to my sister.”

I scoffed. “After what I did to your sister? You’re the one that started it!”

He glared at me. “I started it? I only wanted to end it. To end my sister’s misery and bring her back to reality. You’re the one who let her go. You’re the one who was so foolish enough to let her go!”

I wanted to punch him in the gut. “How was I going to react, Yunho? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I had my feelings put out for Sooyoung for my entire life. You know that. You noticed that but you didn’t say anything. I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to risk our friendship. What am I supposed to do? So I waited. And now I finally had the chance.”

“Hyung.” Myungsoo placed his hand on my arm, stopping me from making any moves further.

“Yah, Kim Sunggyu,” Gayoon whispered. “Don’t make a scene.”

“Turns out she wasn’t over him yet,” I added, ignoring Myungsoo and Gayooon. “And now I’m all confused whether she really loves me or she loves me because I’m the replacement. How do you think should I react? Happy because she’s just using me? Would you still get her back after what you found out?”

Yunho didn’t say anything. Instead, he just looked away.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought,” I muttered.

I turned to look at Zinger, who had wilted in her seat. “I’m not the father of that baby,” I stated sternly. “How can you say I was the father when nothing even happened to us?”

“S-Sunggyu… let me explain…” Zinger stammered.

I rolled my eyes. “Explain? Explain what exactly? On how you ruined my life? Yeah, sure. Like I need an explanation on how completely messed up my life is. You’re pregnant and you told Sooyoung I was the father when nothing even happened between us.”

“S-Sunggyu… I d-d-didn’t—”

“Even if you want to say sorry, it’s too late,” I growled, cutting her off. “Thanks for nothing. Are you happy now? You’ve finally did. You’ve finally gotten rid of Sooyoung. You’ve finally destroyed my life. If Sooyoung dies because of this, Zinger, I swear… I swear at the ends of this world I will make you miserable.”

 

will be taking a break from writing soon.