♂ twenty - eight

My Little Bride ♀

 

“One, two, three… the last one! One two… and pose!”

Being back in Seoul made me feel a little less… happy. Nevertheless, I knew we had to go back to reality anyway. I have a lot of responsibilities here in Seoul. Responsibilities that I have to fulfill. For instance, we have the dance competition tomorrow. We have to win this. If we can’t, how else are we going to clean the name of our dance varsity squad?

Ever since our trip to Maldives, Sunggyu has been sweet to me. He was stuck to me all the time, hugging me when I’m doing something else. He likes kissing me, too. Either surprising me with a kiss on the cheeks or cutting me off with a kiss when I’m saying something.

I gasped for air as I hunkered down to take a rest. Everyone was incredibly cooperative today. The tension was wafting in the air. I could feel it. We could feel it. We were all anxious for tomorrow. Even if we don’t mention winning a lot, we have this inner desire to win. Who doesn’t?

As a means of help, the school principal had excused for this day. It means that we won’t have to attend classes. Since this morning, all we did was warm ups and endless rehearsals. We wanted perfection. Yuri craved for perfection. I was exhausted, considering we only had two breaks: one in the morning and one after lunch time.

While the others were taking a break, Yuri would call on me and Gyuri to help her out with the ‘Solo Dispute’. It’s the part of the competition wherein a representative from each of the team that is competing will perform a solo that will help the judge to deliberate more on their dance performance. It’s as relevant as the other categories of the competition.

Unknown to Yuri, I had secretly practiced her part the entire time. It was because most of her dance was made by me. Yuri kept telling me, insisted that I should be doing the solo part instead. I didn’t, of course. Even though I was particularly good in composition, I’m not buoyant enough to pull it off in front of hundreds of people who will be watching.

When Sunggyu knew about this, he even insisted to come. I discouraged him because the people would know my relationship with him. I didn’t want to cause trouble.

Yuri ended the rehearsals an hour early so she could distribute the squad’s costumes. There were two costumes: one for the ballet category and one for the hip hop. For the ballet, it’s a romantic length tutu dress with a sparkling black and white bodice. For hip hop, it’s kind of typical costume but that cropped tee stands out. The only thing about our jogging pants was that our names were printed vertically on the left side of the pants.

“We should meet in front of the school at one in the afternoon,” Yuri explained. “Even if the competition starts at six in the evening. We have to meet up early. Let’s have one, last rehearsal and perfect perfection. We can’t mess it up. Don’t forget your costumes and bring make up kits if you have one. We need to match our make up to our performances.”

We all nod in response.

“Okay, you guys can go now,” Yuri declared, placing her hands on her hips. She turned to me. “Gyuri and Sooyoung, you two can stay. You two can at least stay for an hour, perhaps? It’s for the solo part.”

Gyuri frowned. “I’m sorry, Yuri unnie, but I really have to go somewhere. It concerns, um, my family. I’m really sorry but we can practice again tomorrow for the last time. I’m really busy tonight. I have to go somewhere.”

Yuri sighed gallingly. “Fine. Sooyoung, you can stay, right?”

I nodded. “Um, yeah. I’ll be fine.” I can probably ask Sunggyu to—ah, never mind. He might get caught.

I watched as the other members of the squad leave the room. Then as soon as we were alone, Yuri clicked the play button of the music player. As soon as the music started, we dance in synchronization. Nothing else can be heard but the upbeat music playing in the background. That’s all. But even then, I was comfortable.

We finished around eight in the evening, exhausted and famished. I was about to go home first when Yuri decided to treat me to dinner as a thank you for helping her with the choreography even if she didn’t really wanted my help.

Since there was less transportation around our school, we walked to the downtown together, absorbed in our conversation regarding the dance competition tomorrow. It was actually nice of her to not talk about anything else, or even interrogate me about my personal life. Besides, I wasn’t even planning to ask her, too. It’s none of my business anyway.

Then I spotted someone familiar. With her curly, blonde hair, I didn’t think it was too hard to recognize her in a sea of people. Gyuri was out with someone. With a guy, to be specific. I didn’t want to tell Yuri about this. She would be mad if she knew that Gyuri skipped practice just to go out with a guy.

Liar, I thought, shaking my head in disapproval.

We were about to reach the town center when we came across a few people we last expected to meet. Gulping nervously, I shot Yuri a worried look. She resonated with the same expression.

“You know, it’s really dangerous for girls to walk home alone.”

Yuri growled. She must have recognized that voice. “I’m not alone,” she snapped. “As you can see, I have someone with me. Get your sentences right, Jeon Hyosung. And speaking about Sooyoung, she’s a really good dancer. Prepare to feel threatened.”

A petite girl with a strange-colored hair steps out of the shadows along with one girl and two boys behind her. She scoffs. “Oh, right. I should be scared.” She emphasized the word ‘scared’, wagging two fingers of both hands in the air. “I mean, I should be scared for you guys, right? If I remember correctly, you guys lost to us for three consecutive years. Isn’t that just downright scary?”

Yuri smirked. “Not anymore. We’re going to beat you. Don’t worry. You’re going to have a good reason to be scared.”

Hyosung returned back the smirk. “Not when someone’s handicapped, we won’t. Like I said, Kwon Yuri, it’s really dangerous for girls to walk home without a guy accompaniment.”

Maybe because I was too dumb to realize what that Jeon Hyosung was trying to say. I wasn’t even prepared for it. All I know is that Yuri has suddenly stood in front of me, her arm covering me protectively. It took a manner of seconds before I realized what happened.

Those two guys behind Jeon Hyosung suddenly came up towards her and started beating her.

“Not too hard, boys,” Hyosung reminded, chuckling haughtily. “And let the other girl join. She’s missing out all the fun.”

“W-what? Hey! What the hell?!”

I struggled but this guy was stronger than me. He grabbed my arm and twisted it on my back. I screamed in pain, feeling my nerves about to burst. I mentally called for Sunggyu to save me but I knew it was impossible. All I wanted to was to get me and Yuri out of here.

This was definitely a foul play. I squirmed, trying to work on my legs.

When I was in my right mind, I used my right leg to kick on the guy’s balls. I learned a few self-defense techniques when I was in middle school. In case someone hurts me, it could be very useful. However, I didn’t see him coming.

I could only cry in pain as he aimed for my leg, twisting it.

“Like I said, Kwon Yuri,” Hyosung taunted, ambling near us. “We won’t be scared. Now that you two are handicapped, what do we have to worry about? Good luck in winning tomorrow’s competition. I’m sure the both of you will dance really well.”

When I tried to work on my right leg, I wailed in pain. This couldn’t be what I think it is, I thought, freaking out. This can’t be a sprain, right? I can’t be injured. Not when the competition is hours away.

“Yuri? Are you okay?” I managed to say.

Yuri groaned. “I think I sprained my leg. That …”

I screamed in pain when I tried to move. In attempt to call someone, I rummaged inside my backpack for my phone. I dialed the nearest number I could find.

“Jonghyun?”

I heard rustles. “Oh, Sooyoung? Jung Sooyoung? Are you okay? You sound like you’re in pain.”

I groaned. “Help me, please.”

I heard him grabbing pants. “Where are you? I’m coming.”

 

 

the end is coming. o u o