♀ thirty - three

My Little Bride ♀

 

Almost a month passed by since Sooyoung’s dance competition. She was doing well. In fact, her ankle was healed just a week ago. Yuri’s was a little critical than Sooyoung’s but the doctor said it could be healed in less than a month.

The month of November has come and autumn was almost over. I lithered my shoes along the carpet of the bakeshop, making sure I won’t leave dirty marks on the floor. There were few people around, sipping the shop’s famous coffee and nibbling on the chocolate muffins. However for me, I had a different purpose of coming to the bakeshop.

It’s Sooyoung’s birthday this Friday and I have been making arrangements for a birthday party. Instead of having it on Friday, since it’s a school day, I scheduled it on Saturday. I asked for Yuri’s and Yunho’s help in this, too.

I asked for my mother’s help on reserving a certain place in The Plaza. The reason why I had chosen The Plaza was because we had our wedding here. I wanted her to remember it. I wanted to reminisce those days when we stayed here—even if it was for a while.

I looked over the display counter, studying the variety of muffins, breads, cupcakes and cakes presented. There were a lot of different colors and flavors but I knew Sooyoung’s favorite has always been chocolate. It never changed.

For the presentation, I also had the collection of pictures I have of Sooyoung placed on a slideshow. I had Yunho for that. I didn’t forget to inform her parents about it and they were quite ecstatic. It’s been a long time since they last saw their daughter. They also assured me of inviting her cousins over, too.

“See anything you like?” The old lady asks. She must be the owner.

I nodded. “They all look delicious to me.”

“Is it for someone special?” she asks sweetly. So sweet that I feel like telling her everything.

A smile crept on my lips. “It’s for my wife,” I stated. “It’s her birthday this Friday and I wanted to give her her favorite chocolate muffins. She has a thing for muffins.”

Talking to her felt strange but comfortable. I find myself wanting to tell her everything.

“How long have you two known each other?” she wanted to know.

I tilted my head to the side. “I’ve known her my entire life,” I answered. “We’re childhood friends and we just got married two months ago. But… I don’t know if we’re real. It’s just… an arranged marriage, after all.”

“Does she love you?”

I scratched the back of my neck. “Well, she told me she loves me. And I love her, too.”

“So, what seems to be the problem?”

Now that I think about it. I wanted the marriage to be real. The one we had two months ago was valid but it was still an arranged marriage based on a pact made ages ago. I wanted it to be real, with me proposing to her and planning the marriage ourselves.

“I want it to be real,” I admitted, frowning at the thought.

“But it’s what you feel that matters, isn’t it?” she said matter-of-factly. “You are young. Do what you want to do. Don’t stop at anything or yet, don’t let anything stop you. If you want to get married for real, then do it. What’s stopping you?”

What’s stopping me was Sooyoung. What if she realizes her feelings weren’t real? What if she’s not ready? What if… what if she’s still not over Seunghyun? Even if she has given herself to me, I could still feel it. The hesitance, the unwavering of her feelings when she doesn’t notice it. It’s a risk, too.

I shrugged. “She’s a little unstable. I think.”

“Do you trust her?”

I nodded immediately. “Of course, I do.”

“Then you shouldn’t worry.”

I grimaced. “Yeah… you’re right.”

The old lady grinned at me, pushing herself off the counter. “You know, I’ve got just the thing,” she told me. “Wait right there.” I watched as she walks off to the door that leads to the backroom. I did what I was told to do. I stayed where I was while I was studying the other choices.

A minute later, she came back holding a pink box. There was a darker pink ribbon wrapped on top, which made it look cuter.

“This is the bakeshop’s premium box of chocolate muffins,” the old lady explained, handing it to me. She gave me a satisfied smile. “We usually sell it once a month and customers would wait for it for a long time because it’s a rare item. It’s handmade by the owner herself. You don’t have to worry about the fee. It’s free.”

I gave a brief bow, feeling taken aback. “Um, why would you give it to me?”

The old lady shrugged. “The owner thinks you’re worth it. Besides, the muffins have a special purpose. Trust me. It makes you feel so much better.”

I forced a smile. “Thanks,” I said.

I pondered over what the old lady had told me. Then you shouldn’t worry, she says. I wish it could be that easier. It took a long time for Sooyoung to get over Seunghyun. When she met me, she was still thinking about him. The memories were still there and she’s crying over it. It was a month when she finally told me she loves me.

But how reassuring is that?

What if Sooyoung doesn’t really love me? What if she was just using me to forget him?

It hurts just to think about it. Even if my assumptions could not be true, there’s always a little truth about it. Why else would I think of it? Why else would I doubt about it? Besides, when we were kids, Sooyoung never saw me the way I see her. She’s always thought of me as a big brother. A big brother. What better way to be hurt?

I realized that the chances are slim for me. They dated for years. Well, less than five years but still… they lasted long. If he was still alive, they could have still been dating. And I would only be the teacher, keeping an eye over her and making sure she stays happy.

If it comes to that, then I better prepare myself. So it won’t have to hurt so much.

“Sunggyu?”

I looked up, surprised that someone knows my name. I almost dropped the box of muffins I received when I recognized the person standing in front of me. How did she find me? And more importantly, what is she doing here in Seoul?

I raised my eyebrows. “Zinger?”

A smile ghosts on her lips.

“What are you doing here?” I wanted to know. Somehow, this doesn’t look good.

She casts me a concerned look. In some way, the smile had melted into an anxious one, like she knows something about me. She always has that look. She lets out a soft sigh. “Sunggyu, I know about your marriage and how it’s all a sham.”

A sham? A sham? I scoffed, offended by what she had said. A sham? Even if the marriage was based on a pact, it was never a sham. “What?” I spat out. “What the are you talking about?” There. I couldn’t stop myself.

“It’s a sham, isn’t it?” She gives me a firm look. “Your mother told me. Honestly, don’t you think us meeting again is fate? I’m not being mean but… considering that your marriage with Sooyoung is a sham, we can, you know, maybe—”

“Sham?” I interrupted her, getting infuriated at her saying our marriage was a sham. It was never a sham. “How can you say that so casually? It’s not fake, Zinger. What do you know?”

She blinked rapidly, surprised by my sudden outburst. “W-well… your mother told me that you married her because of a pact your grandfather and her grandfather did. But I also know that your mother didn’t agree to this the first time. Sooyoung was depressed and unstable. You married her because you were used as a rebound. She’s using you, Sunggyu. Why can’t you see that? Her boyfriend—the one she’s in love with—died and she’s mourning over him. She hasn’t moved on for two years and you think she’s going to fall in love with you for just a month?”

She struck a nerve.

“What do you really want, Zinger?” I snapped. “I want to know where you’re getting at.”

She glared at me, smacking her lips together. “I want us back together, Gyu. I know we were so happy back then. You were so happy with me. That girl is just using you to forget her dead boyfriend. Are you going to let her do that to you?”

I nodded sternly. “Yes.”

“But why?”

“Because I love her.”

She shook his head in disbelief. “No, that’s not love, Sunggyu. That’s obsession.”

 

i bet you're going to be mad at me with the time skip.

but it's def needed, and oh, did i tell you guys it has few more chaps left?

/s0bs

comments would be nice.