Realization

Gamer to Player

 Jinki’s POV

I woke up to a warm embrace. I thought I was dreaming. I had a dream I was in high school and Luna was there. It was so real like it was happening all over again. But then I felt a since of calm and my dream dissolved. I saw nothing, I was waking up slowly. I heard a sigh. Was I awake now? That’s when I felt that warm feeling.  I opened my eyes. It was Taemin. Taemin was hugging me and petting me hair. “What are you doing in my house?”  I was shocked and a bit annoyed he just came in here. I’m still mad at him for not showing me who he really was.

“Hyung I’m sorry I upset you. And when you didn’t answer my calls I got worried.” He did look sincere but still I don’t know what to think at this point. He looks sad.

I sat up, his arms falling off of me and down by his side. We sat in silence for a long time. The silence was deafening. I had to think how to phrase what I want to say. I think he might be doing the same. I know he is waiting for me to talk.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“I-I’m your friend Jinki hyung. I don’t like you just because of Key. I did not trick you like your so called friends from before you met me.” He paused. “Don’t you believe me?”

“How’d you get in my house?”

“Jonghyun hyung gave me the spare key. I’m sorry I came over without permission. Please let’s talk about what happened today please.”

He looked like he was going to cry. I don’t want him to cry. I like him I just don’t know if I can trust him. Is this a trick? I thought.

Taemin spoke again after a few moments. “Jinki hyung, do you think you’re handsome?”

“What?”

“Do you?”

“Who cares, Taemin.”

“I care.”

“Right. See? It’s just like what I thought. You made me handsome and that is all you care about. Someone you can show off, your styling skills.”

“No, no!” He started crying. Maybe I do have the wrong Idea. I’m so confused.

“I liked you right away.”

“Even though I thought you were a girl too?”

“Yes, that is why I didn’t mind it coming from you. I think you’re handsome and you should know it too. You’re cool. You’re cooler than that Minho guy. More handsome too”. Taemin blushed. “I was upset about Minho because he was trying to hit on me or something on the day I saw you talking with Joon.  And well, there are some things I’d rather hear you say than other people because well, I think of you as my closest friend. You’ve become like family, and not because of Key but because I like hanging out with you.” Taemin paused for a moment.

“I think you should care about your looks not for “cool” reasons but because you should show people how awesome you are on the inside just like how awesome you are on the outside.”  Taemin sat closer to me and put his arm around me. “Hyung, whatever people have said about you in your past, you are better than that, always have been. You had it in you all along to have confidence and good self esteem.  Let’s show the world the real Jinki. The funny, sweet, and smart Jinki.” He looked at me and smiled.

I thought about it for a bit.  I got up and walked around the room. “Ok, let me ask you something. When I said you had a nice smile, you were ok with it. But the other day when they said the same thing, you didn’t like it. I just want to make sure you’re not just pretending to be nice to me.”

“Jinki hyung.” He said and stood up and walked over to me and paused for a moment he reached for my hands and held them and slowly looked up into my eyes and smiled. “I, Lee Taemin, like you. I’m not pretending to like you. I promise.”

Taemin has a sweet smile. I do trust him. “I’m sorry Taemin. Do you forgive me?”

“Yes of course. That is what friends are for.”

We spent the rest of the night talking. We had made snacks in the middle of the night and just kept talking about everything. Eventually we had somehow ended back in my bedroom talking until we fell asleep when it was almost sunrise. Taemin feel asleep first. He is a good friend to me.

While talking with him I realized he was right. I need to be more confident about myself or else I won’t trust people and I could make the same mistake again, and I don’t want to hurt Taemin again and he never would have hurt me on purpose either.

I looked at him sleeping. He really does have a cute smile.

 I’ll show Taemin how confident I can be and try to be more comfortable with myself. I am hot.  I’ll prove all those people wrong that treated me like I was just a stupid unattractive nerd.