Coffee and Tears

Gamer to Player

After Jinki hyung finished his chickens, we just sat down in the living room watching a random movie. Jinki hyung was taking a shower, Taemin sat on the sofa and Key was combing his hair and making a braid.

“Hey, Taemin. I’ll drive you home later, okay?” I asked casually but Taemin seemed shocked by my question.

“Oh. Oh, um yeah sure. Thanks hyung.” Did he not want to go home? I could clearly hear the disappointment in his voice. He looked down and pouted.

“Are you okay? Do you want me to come along and stay the night with you Taemin?” Key the younger’s hair and Taemin just shook his head. It was pretty obvious that Taemin was interested in Jinki hyung. I mean, I had no idea what kind of interest Taemin had, but he seriously showed it.

“No, it’s okay Key.” Taemin kept pouting and Key kissed the top of his head. Seriously, Taemin had all of Key’s attention! Sometimes I couldn’t help but to be pissed off…

“Aw, baby. At least I’ll take you to your apartment, okay?” Taemin slowly nodded and Key hugged him. Unfair. I wanted Key’s hugs too.

“Hey guys.” Jinki hyung came into the living room in his sweat pants and loose red hoodie. He had his glasses on and his hair slightly damp.

“Hey, hyung.” Taemin perked up and grinned at Jinki hyung. Key tugged Taemin’s unfinished braid and the younger winced in pain.

“Stay still, Taemin. I’m not done yet.” Key continued braiding and Taemin patted his own head. Suddenly the phone rang. Jinki hyung picked it up.

“Hello? Oh yes, good afternoon Mr. Park.” We all looked at him as he spoke formally to the individual on the other side of the line.

“A server crash? You want me to fix it right now?” He rubbed his temple and paced around. I looked at Key and he looked at me. We both shrugged.

“But it’s already passed working hours, sir. It will take hours to fix it. Hm? You’re willing to pay double?” This Park guy was willing to pay double? That was pretty awesome, considering there are lots of available programmers. That showed just how much of a genius Jinki hyung is.

“Okay. I’ll be right there.” He hung up and sighed.

“You’re going to work now, Jinki hyung?” Taemin asked.

“Yeah, I have to take this job. They’re paying double so it’s worth it. I still have to pay rent and everything.” Jinki hyung disappeared into his room.

“But hyung! Are you sure? You’re still not feeling well. You need rest!” Taemin shouted. His face was etched with worry and he acted fidgety. The famous panicky and fidgety Taemin acted up.

“I’ll be okay! By the way, your clothes are in the dryer. It should be ready now.” Jinki shouted from his room. Key got up from his seat.

“I’ll get them for you, Taeminnie.” Key disappeared to the laundry room. I sat down beside the fidgety Taemin. I just sat there, looking at him.

“Do you like Jinki hyung, Tae?” I asked out of the blue.

“Hm? Of course I like him. He’s a really great person. I want to be friends with him.” I nodded in approval. He was just thinking of him as a friend. I didn’t buy it though.

“Get changed, Taemin.” Key handed Taemin his clothes and Taemin dragged himself to the bathroom. Key sat down and I scooted closer to him.

“Key, do you want to hang out somewhere after we drop off Taemin?” Key was checking his nails and hummed. I looked at him, trying to get a ‘yes’ from him. But he just hummed a random melody and not pay attention to me.

I love this man. I really love him. He might be a snappy, nagging and violent diva but he’s also my best friend. He’s always there for me. When I was sad, when I was sick, he was the first person to know. He was the first person to ask whether I was okay or not. He’s this missing piece of me. A person I can’t possibly live without.

But I had no idea what his feelings was. He was hot and cold, sweet and bitter. He was always showing these mixed signals I couldn’t figure out. I wanted to confess, but because of this I couldn’t predict the outcome. I was afraid of ruining everything and losing him forever. But it got so frustrating sometimes to the point that I wanted to give up.

“Okay. I want to get some coffee, Jjongie.” He flashed his beautiful smile at me and I could feel a painful pang in my chest.

When will you be mine?

“Guys, I really have to go now.” Jinki hyung was wearing a dull blue button up shirt, black slacks and his thick glasses on. Taemin also went out from the bathroom and walked over to Key.

“Do you need a ride, hyung?” I offered but Jinki hyung shook his head.

“Nah, it’s really close. And you have to take Taemin home, right? So just go and take care of Taemin.” He gathered up his phone and wallet and stuffed his bag with lots of things.

“You can stay for a while if you want but I really have to run. I’ll see you guys soon, okay?” Taemin immediately jumped up to hug Jinki hyung. Hyung looked flustered but he returned the hug in the end.

“Take care, hyung. Don’t push yourself too hard.” Taemin let go and Jinki hyung was a bit pink. He nodded and slung his bag.

“Okay guys, don’t forget to lock up. See ya!” Then Jinki hyung bolted out the door and slammed the door shut.

“Let’s go, hyungs. I want to go home.” Taemin tugged Key’s shirt and Key hugged him.

“Why are you so down, baby? Is it because Jinki had to leave?” Taemin hugged Key and somehow I pictured them as a mother and her child.

“No… I just don’t like the fact that they had to call him in at this hour. It’s 5.30 already, Jinki hyung is get back in the middle of the night and he’s gonna be all tired. I just don’t want him to get sick again.” Key shushed Taemin and his long hair.

“I think he’ll be okay, Taemin. He already rested and he doesn’t have any plans for tomorrow. He can sleep in the afternoon. Don’t worry!” I tried to cheer him up and it seemed to work.

“Okay, Jonghyun hyung. I guess you’re right. Can we go now?” I nodded and we gathered all our stuff. We took the elevators down to the parking lot and got on my car. Key sat on the front seat beside me and Taemin sat on the back seat.

“Key?” Taemin asked when we were almost at his place.

“Yeah, Taemin? What’s up?”

“I was thinking, since my campus and the salon is really near from your place and I don’t like living alone in my apartment… You know… Can I move in with you?” Taemin pleaded.

“What? Move in with me?” Key turned to face Taemin. I couldn’t see the look on his face because I had to keep my eyes on the road.

“Yeah. I’ll help with chores and everything! And we can split the bill! I’ll pay half the rent! Pleaase, Key let me move in with you! Staying with Jinki hyung last night made me realize how much I hate coming home to an empty house. Pleaaaaase?” Taemin whined. I bet he was using his aegyo which was Key’s weakness.

“Well that seems like a pretty good idea. I have this extra room anyway, we’ll manage to make it work somehow. And that means I can keep an eye on you without having to go all the way to your apartment. Just tell me when you have the time to move, okay?” Taemin squealed and clapped his hands.

“Yay! Thank you, Key! I’ll try my best not to be a nuisance!” I pulled up to Taemin’s apartment.

“Okay, here’s your stop, Taemin. We’ll arrange the move soon. We’ll help you out with it so don’t worry.” Taemin unbuckled his seatbelt and got out from the car. I lowered the window and he stopped by the window to bid us goodnight.

“Bye Umma, bye Appa. Have a nice date!” He waved at us and I pinched his cheek.

“Be safe, Taeminnie!” Key waved at him.

“Take care, baby boy.” He waved at us and ran into the building. I made sure to wait a few minutes before going just in case something happened. Somehow my fatherly instinct kicked in whenever it came to Taemin.

“So, where do you want to go now, Key?” I asked the beautiful man beside me. He tapped his finger to his chin and thought for a second.

“Let’s go to that café you like so much. Café Amare, isn’t it?” He smirked at me and I had to hold myself back from saying just how much I love his smile.

“Yeah, sure.” I croaked out. Even my voice didn’t sound like mine. Key the radio and started singing along to the songs. His voice was really unique and beautiful.

“You have a pretty voice, Key. Will you sing one of the songs I composed?” He laughed and flipped his blonde hair.

“Nah, I’m not cut out to be a singer, Jjong. Your voice sounds better anyway.”

“Then if I wrote you a song, will you listen?” I glanced to see him giving me a smug smirk.

“Hmm~ Maybe.” I was about to say something but he started singing along to one of his favorite songs, Graze by a band called SHINee.

The café wasn’t that far away from Taemin’s place. It was a really nice and comfy café. It’s not very crowded, but they serve really good coffee and cakes. I always get some kind of inspiration whenever I went there. It’s really nice especially when I was having a hard time writing or composing. I parked my car, locked it and went into the café. The heavenly smell of freshly ground coffee and baked pastries welcomed us. We ordered our coffee and a slice of cheesecake.

“It always smells nice in here.” Key said as we took our seats on the sofa at the corner of the café. I sat down beside him and sipped my coffee.

“Yeah, that’s why I like it here. Everything is calming.” Key hummed in reply and cut the cheesecake. He stabbed it with the fork and brought it to his mouth. I was staring at him and he realized it.

“Want some?”  He cut a piece and held it in front of my mouth. I grinned and took a bite.

“It’s good, isn’t it?” Key asked. I just nodded. Somehow being alone with him made me happy and sad at the same time. It was just painful to see him… I held back my tears of frustration and took another sip of my coffee. He kept eating his cheesecake happily while I look at him. I just couldn’t take it. I put down my cup and hugged his waist. I buried my face on the crook of his neck but he didn’t make a move.

“Jjongie?” Key whispered. And somehow I wanted to cry even more.

“Jjongie, why are you shivering? Are you okay?” Did I? I didn’t notice my body starting to shake.

“Just… Just let me stay like this for a while, Key?” He slowly nodded and started rubbing my back.

I didn’t want to cry because it was such an unmanly thing to do. But I’m only human. I have feelings too. And there are just times when those feelings overflow and you don’t know what to do.

It was shameful of me. But I shed tears in the arms of the person I love because I just couldn’t have him as my own.


A/N : ...... I have no idea why this turned into a sad Jongkey chapter.

I was like, "OOOH! JONGKEY'S GOING ON A DATE! YEAH!" then suddenly....

Why all the angst?! D: Poor Jjongie... He's so lost and  scared...

D':

Comments? Come on, people. It's Jjong's POV! Comment or Jjong will send his T-Rex friend to bite your toes off.