Deceive?

Gamer to Player

He hated it when people point out that he has a pretty smile?

I just said the exact same thing the previous night. That meant he hated it too? Ah, I made such a huge mistake! I thought he would like it if I compliment him. I just wished that he would feel better about his new haircut if I said so.

I wonder if I just made him more upset after saying that. Taemin’s too much of a good kid to the point that he pretended to be nice to me. He probably thought that because I’m Key’s friend he would just let me off with what I said. But he’s also Key’s favorite kid so I didn’t want to make him uncomfortable either. Especially he just moved in with him and we would meet each other more frequently.

“Hello? Earth to Jinki!” Key waved his hand in front of my face and I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Huh- Oh, yeah? What’s wrong?” I looked around and everybody had their eyes on me. I saw Key rolling his eyes.

“Your food arrived 5 minutes ago, hyung.” Taemin said with a little smile on his face.

“Oh. Right. Thanks. Sorry, was thinking of a quest in Diablo I haven’t finished.” They all nodded and went back to their food.

“Did I hear Diablo? I play that game too!” Suddenly the guy called Minho chimed in. He grabbed a chair and sat between me and Taemin.

“Hey, Junhyung hyung, I’m taking a break!” Minho shouted. A mean looking guy with a purple but neatly coifed hair popped up from the kitchen.

“You punk! You just took a break an hour ago!” His voice boomed throughout the whole restaurant.

“But hyung, the restaurant is empty right now…” Minho whined.

“Yah! You work here under me so do as I say!” The purple haired guy roared again. We just sat there on our chair, staring at the guy. Honestly I was a bit afraid that he would blow up or something.

“Junhyungie, calm down.” A younger looking guy with light brown hair came out and patted the purple guy’s back.

“Go take a break, Minho. Sorry guys! Mr. Grumpy is a bit on edge today.” He flashed us a smile.

“Who’s Mr. Grumpy, huh, Yoseob?! I am not grumpy!” The other guy complained.

“Haha, okay, okay, mister.” The two of them went back to the kitchen and Minho started laughing.

“Sorry. Junhyung hyung can be a bit grumpy sometimes. But the lovely owners are really kind. So anyway, how did you guys met?” Minho asked Taemin while pointing at Sanghyun-ssi and Seungho-ssi.

“It’s none of your business.” Taemin said. He switched his personality and he’s really, really mean now. It’s unlike him. Maybe I didn’t know him that well just yet. I figured it would be a good thing to take note on how Taemin deals with the guy.

“Aish, Taemin, what’s wrong with you?” Key sighed and nagged Taemin. Well I had to admit that Taemin was being cold and mean, really disrespectful to his hyung in front of his other hyungs. I was a bit puzzled too.

“Nothing. I don’t like this person, umma.” Taemin glared at Minho and hurt was so apparent in the tall guy’s eyes. I really felt bad for him.

“Taemin, that’s not a really nice thing to say… I’m sure Minho here is a very nice person and he’s just trying to have a conversation with you.” Jonghyun said. Even the usually carefree Jonghyun chimed in. Taemin was being rebellious…

“I don’t care. I don’t like him and I don’t want to talk to him at all.” He emphasized every single word and Minho just hung his head low. Sanghyun-ssi and Seungho-ssi didn’t say anything and awkwardly ate their food.

“Apologize.” I blurted out.

I stared at Taemin who looked at me in disbelief. I could feel everyone staring at me. I didn’t care. I think Taemin just crossed the line.

“What?” He asked me.

“Apologize to Minho.” I knew what it felt like to be in Minho’s shoes. People telling you that they don’t like you straight in your face. Those people who thought they’re way too cool to be friends with a nerd who only tried to be nice to them.

“No. I did nothing-“

“Apologize.” I raised my voice a little too high. But it just saddened me to see Taemin acting like that to Minho. Taemin was judging Minho and I can’t stand people who judges people like that.

“J-Jinki hyung…” Taemin looked shocked after I raised my voice at him but I continued to glare at him. He lowered his gaze and stared at his chopsticks.

“……….. Sorry, Minho.” Taemin mumbled. I nodded in satisfaction and the tenseness somewhat decreased. The restaurant door opened and a large group of school girls came in.

“It’s okay. It’s not like I can expect everyone to like me, right? I better go back to work now. Have a nice lunch.” Minho got up, smiled and went to the girls’ table.

I looked at Taemin who still had his head down, he had the look Minho had a few moments ago. I might’ve pissed him off again. I made him uncomfortable with the pretty-smile incident and just then I reprimanded him in front of everyone. What the hell did I just do?

He suddenly got up and ran out the door.

“I wonder what got into him…” Jonghyun shook his head.

“Maybe he’s just tired and a little bit high strung at the moment?” Sanghyun-ssi said.

“I should check up on him…” Key said. He got up but then I held him back.

“I’ll go. I kind of made him upset so…” Key looked unsure about it but I tried to silently convince him. He finally nodded and sat back down. I went out the door and looked for Taemin. I found him on a bench in front of a fountain not far from the restaurant.

I walked up to him and he tensed up once I stood in front of him. He didn’t say anything so I just sat down beside him. It was kind of awkward, I guess. Like one of the times you just finished helping someone with their quest but you still team up with them and ended up not knowing what to say at all…

“U-uh. Hey…” I tried speaking up. Taemin didn’t reply.

“I’m sorry if I embarrassed you in front of everyone… I was ticked off by the way you acted… It’s rude to say those stuff and Minho was really hurt by it so I’m sorry if you felt embarrassed or mad when I kind of blew up at you…” I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly. He still didn’t reply. I had nothing else to say so I just stayed there.

“I wasn’t embarrassed or mad.” He said without looking at me. I waited for him to continue.

“I was shocked. And sad too. I didn’t expect you to shout at me like that, hyung.” I didn’t expect him to be sad either. I would understand if he’s mad. But sad?

“Why are you sad?” I got curious.

“Because you were mad at me. That means I disappointed you. And I don’t want that. Now I’m just disappointed in myself…” He fiddled with his shirt.

“Don’t be sad… I’m sorry I made you sad. I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry I shouted at you like that.” Taemin rested his head on my shoulder and I hesitantly wrapped my arm around his shoulder. I once read in a book that physical touch can soothe someone.

“No, I was being too childish… I guess I deserved it. But seriously, I don’t like him, hyung.”

“Why? He seems like a good guy. Why don’t you give him a shot?” He pulled away from me and took a deep breath.

“He mistook me for a girl! He called me ‘miss’ too! And after that he expected me to be friends with him? Hyung, did you see his face when he noticed I was there? What was he expecting? Sheesh!” He rambled on, annoyance in his face.

But that was exactly how we met. I mistook him for a girl. He didn’t seem that mad. Or was he only pretending to be nice because I’m Key’s friend? But he kept being nice to me. I didn’t understand at all.

“Taemin, are you messing with me all these times?” I frowned and stared at him. He just tilted his head in confusion. Or was it only an act?

“Huh? What do you mean, hyung?” Was he acting? Was he pretending? Why did I feel annoyed?

“Are you pretending to be friendly all along? I met you with the same reaction as Minho had. I said the same things Minho said. But then why did you get mad at him but stayed friendly towards me? Is it because I’m Key’s friend?”

I had no idea why I was saying those words. But I somehow felt tricked. I felt like I was being lied to. It didn’t feel like Taemin was being completely truthful to me about his own personality. And I hate being lied to. It’s almost like Luna all over again.

“W-what? Hyung, you don’t understand. It’s just-“

“I’m going home.” I got up and ran back to the restaurant. I heard him calling out to me but I ignored him.

I was exaggerating, I completely understood. But that was the exact reason why I keep my guards up with people. I didn’t want them to get to my head and mentally hurt me. It was the same way with Key in the beginning. It’s just that Key was really forceful and he was true to his colors. I grew to accept him and I could drop my armor when I’m around him because I knew he wouldn’t hurt me on purpose. That process alone took a good 6 months.

When I have a feeling that someone would try to hurt me, I’ll keep my distance. And that was going to happen between me and Taemin. I was just warming up to him but then I became unsure of what I was warming up to. I got used to Taemin’s nice and happy personality but then I saw this other side of Taemin. A side of him that he hid from me but somehow I thought of as a personality he would show me if I weren’t Key’s friend.

I hate uncertainties. I hate deceive. I hate lies. I didn’t want to be any part of it.

“Hey, Jinki. Where’s Taemin? Is he okay?” Key said to me once I entered the restaurant. I spotted Minho sitting there and chatting with the guys.

“He’s fine. He’ll probably be here soon. I’m going home now, guys. I just remembered I have something to do.” I tidied up all my stuff and got ready to leave.

“Jinki hyung!” Taemin came in, panting. I just smiled at the guys and made my way to the door, going past Taemin.

.o0o.

I got tired of my phone going off every once in a while. Key and Taemin tried to call me several times but in the end I turned my phone off. They also tried to visit but I didn’t answer the door. I just plugged in my iPod and lay down on my bed.

I hated the fact that I got freaked out by that incident. It was a simple thing, right? But then… I pulled my hair and groaned in frustration. My past really messed me up. I really wanted to blame my schoolmates but what’s the point, right?

I didn’t want to give a rat’s anymore at least for the rest of the day. I just closed my eyes shut and tried my best to forget about everything.


A/N : Hey guys. I'm sorry I haven't updated for AGES! So yeah, a short update it is. Sorry. Anyways, Jinki really has an issue, huh? :S
Comments would be nice!