CH:35

Blue Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the first day for Wanfahmai to report to work and she was told to report to the medical director of the hospital. She made her way to the office and gave a knock on the door,

“Come in…” came a voice from inside the room.

She turned the doorknob and entered, “Good morning… I’m Wanfahmai Warawit… I’m here to report for work...”

“Ahhh~ Wanfahmai… We’ve been waiting for your arrival…” commented the medical director as he continued, “We are having high hopes for you… But I wonder…”

“Yes?”

“I wonder why you decided to work here? I mean you could have completed your fellowship back in London, they are fully equipped and they are already up and running, unlike here… Plus, they gave you raving testimonials, and they were hesitant to let you go too…”

“I just thought that I would like to continue with my learning journey back here in the country that I grew up in… For me to know the very people that I would be helping better. And also, precisely because it’s new here that I would like to be a part of it… But who knows what the future holds?”

“I see… Anyways, we’re so glad to have you here to join us… I’m sure your expertise will be of great help to our hospital…”

“Thank you very much for your kind words… I’ll try my best to assist in whatever way I can…”

After the short introduction, the medical director brought Wanfahmai to the room of the chief for the department of neurosurgery.

“Sahat… You wanted a reliable fellow, right? Here she is… Work well together…” stated the medical director towards the attending physician that Wanfahmai will be working under before leaving them both after that short introduction.

Wanfahmai entered the room as the doctor was still engaged in some reading before he told her to take a seat.

“Hi, I’m Prof. Sahat Tharadon… And you’re Wanfahmai Warawit, right?”

“Yes… That’s me…”

“You’ll be under my supervision while you’re working here. I read from your CV that you are also pursuing neuro-oncology?”

“Yes… I am…”

“Why?”

“I am interested in researching for new methods in treating a patient… Furthermore, I have personal motivation for that…”

“And that is?”

“My late mother passed away from glioblastoma…”

“Ahhh… I see… Are you the kind of doctor that enjoys giving hope to the patients under your care just because you’ve been through it before?”

The question that he posed towards Wanfahmai made her feel that he was judgemental towards her but she was ready to answer it as rationally as she possibly could, “Experiencing it only makes me understand the difficulties that caregivers face even though it might differ from family to family because we do not all share the same background but in no way that it would help me understand how the patients feel because to be honest, I don’t even know how my late mother really felt; it didn’t help that she was unable to speak along with limited movements because of her , nor the pain that she had to endure while receiving treatments. So no, I am not the kind of doctor who enjoys giving hope to the patients under my care, because if I did, the only hope I can provide them with is that death is imminent and the pain will stop. So why bother with the treatments?”

“So, you don’t wish for patients to get their treatments? Because that would definitely go against the hospital’s policy that is to be making money… We have shareholders to please…”

“I don’t think that was what I implied…”

“Well, it did seem that way to me…”

“Just because I questioned why they should bother with treatment?”

“Yes…”

“You conveniently forgot that I mentioned caregiver? In truth, sincere caregiver provides the hope that doctors need to treat patients. If such caregiver can give hope to the doctors to try better than their best, what do you think it will do to the patient in their care? Statistically, patients with caregiver heals better, don’t they? Holistic healing? Human connection is a beautiful thing… We do not exist to be alone… Even if we simply sat side by side to each other in silence, just being present is comforting.”

Prof. Sahat smiled upon hearing her answer. Wanfahmai then realised that it was a question to test her.

“I think we will work well together Dr. Wanfahmai. The doctors who came before you all had this personal agenda of wanting to change the world and to cure all illnesses, I’m afraid those people won’t be able to withstand for long because it will tire them down sooner or later… Since all we can do is really to try and keep trying… What’s more working under me will not be easy… And I don’t wish to burden them further when they already have such a positive outlook on life… Anyways, even though I said it won’t be easy to be working under me… But if you do and know your work well… I think we’ll be good. Understand?”

“Yes… I clearly understand what you just said.”

“Any questions that you would like to ask me?”

“Yes, I do… But…”

“But?”

“But since you’re having a good impression of me right now, I don’t wish to taint it… And cause me my own misery…” stated Wanfahmai with a slight smile appearing across her face, which made Prof. Sahat to nod his head with a smile too before saying, “Okay, sure… You can ask me some other time then…”

That day, Prof. Sahat, Wanfahmai and along with a couple of residents, did their rounds and Wanfahmai was learning of the different patients and their cases. She took mental notes and learned of their case history in her own time since that was the first assignment Prof. Sahat had assigned to her.

That night, Wanfahmai was reading her case notes in the living room of her apartment when her doorbell rang. She checked her door viewer was surprised to see who was standing at her door. She was hesitating to open the door but the person who was standing outside kept waiting as he teased,

“Nong… I know you’re in there… Come on open up… And I need to use the bathroom…”

Reluctantly Wanfahmai opened the door and Arthit simply gave her a smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter