CH:23

Blue Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Monday has finally arrived and the seniors were still told to attend school for the last week before they were officially out of high school. Arthit who had been trying to call Wanfahmai but to no avail was hoping to see her at school and to ask for an explanation. He went to her workplace to ask for her whereabouts but was told that she had quit working the day before they were supposed to meet. He even went to her home but since he does not know her unit, he waited by the street and finally gave up waiting for her since she was nowhere in sight. Matt who wanted to talk to Wanfahmai came into the class and saw Arthit was sitting at his desk.

“Arthit… Is Wanfahmai here yet?”

“I don’t know…”

“How can you not know? The two of you usually hang out together, right?” as Matt .

“I said I don’t know…” stated Arthit firmly.

“Hey… You don’t have to get angry… I was just asking… It’s fine if you don’t know…” said Matt before he walked away. Even though Wanfahmai has been tutoring and were on friendly terms with Matt, he knew that he did not stand a chance with her because they never did exchange numbers, with Wanfahmai constantly reminding him that tutoring is to be conducted at the school library and that it was strictly meant to repay him for his kindness towards her, since she had never once accepted the payment that he gave her although she had initially included that as part of the deal, that it just became a running joke between the two of them.

Arthit began to wonder about Wanfahmai as her seat was still empty. He was keeping his hopes up even when the first school period has started. The second period came and she was still not there. And by the time Mr Danurut came in, it was time for debriefing. Arthit noticed just how solemn Mr Danurut was. Mr Danurut was not in his usual smiley self but was trying hard to keep a professional front, as he ended his pep talk with,

“I know this is the last week of official school for you… But I hope all of you will still attend school and spend this time with your friends. I also want to add that you should appreciate the friends that you have made here because they might be your friends for life…”

When class was finally dismissed for the day, and everyone had left the class, Arthit could not help himself but to approach Mr Danurut,

“Kroo…”

“Yes, Arthit?”

“I want to ask you something, kroo…”

“What is it?”

“Do you know where Wanfahmai is?”

Mr Danurut was hesitant at first, but seeing at how worried Arthit looked, he decided to tell Arthit the truth.

“She’s in the hospital, Arthit…”

“What?! How come?!”

But Mr Danurut did not answer his question and simply asked, “Do you want to visit her?”

“Yes, of course, kroo…”

“Since I still have work to do, I am not able to send you there, so, I will just write down the details for you…” as he began to scribble down the information needed on a piece of small paper. Arthit took the piece of paper and thanked Mr Danurut. He got to his parked bike quickly and rode away to the hospital. He hurried his steps as soon as he reached the hospital, to the room that Wanfahmai was in. When he entered, he saw the young man that he recognised from the convenience store on the night before he and Wanfahmai was supposed to meet. However, Arthit was stunned looking at the state Wanfahmai was in. Aran was about to leave the room and even though Arthit was upset, he felt worst not knowing what happened as he asked,

“Do you know what happened to her?”

“I think it’s better for you to hear it from her…”

“Who are you?”

“Me? Someone who cares about her…”

“Are you, her boyfriend?”

“You don’t have to worry about me… You just have to worry about her… Okay?” replied Aran before leaving the room. Arthit took a seat on the chair beside the bed as he held onto her hand automatically. He looked on at the bruises on her face and the wounds on her knuckles, that had little scabs forming around it.

Just what happened to you, Ice? Please wake up and tell me what happened to you… I need to know… Don’t leave me hanging like this, Ice… Please… Ice… Please…

As tears began to well up in his eyes, while his heart was pleading for Wanfahmai to regain her consciousness. He sat there by her side, watching over her until Mr Danurut came to visit.

“You are still here, Arthit?”

“Oh… Kroo… Yes…”

“Where’s Aran?”

“Aran?”

“Oh~ I forgot that you don’t know him… But I’m sure you saw him when you came here…”

“You mean the guy who is about my age? Fair-skinned? Tall?”

“Yes… Him…”

“He was here earlier, but he left and I don’t know where he’d went…”

“Okay… Arthit, would you like to go home to rest, now that I’m here?”

“No, kroo… I’m staying here…”

“But your parents?”

“Let me worry about that later… For now, I want to stay here…”

“Hmmm… Okay…”

“But kroo… Can you please tell me what happened to her?”

Mr Danurut was tight-lipped, as Arthit continued to speak, “Kroo, are you also going to tell me; to wait for her to tell me, herself? Just like the guy earlier?”

“I know you are worried… But I have to agree with Aran on this… She must have her reason for not telling you…”

“Was she in a fight?” blurted Arthit out bluntly.

“Huh? Why do you say that?”

“One look at her and I can tell that she has similar injuries to when she won the muay thai competition… Though I don’t remember her telling me about any other competition… But this time, her injuries look worst off…”

Mr Danurut could not deny it any longer looking at how agitated Arthit was,

“Yes, she was in a fight… But that’s all I can tell you… The details… You have to wait for her… Who knows…? By you waiting for her, for the answers, she might just wake up faster than expected…”

“How long has she been like this? And did the doctor mention when she will wake up?”

“Since Saturday… And no, the doctor is not able to predict… It could be as early as 24 hours, but that does not seem to be the case… But rest assured that her condition is stable…”

That night, Arthit insisted to stay over at the hospital to look after her. Mr Danurut gave Arthit his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter