CH:20

Blue Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Arthit who did not want to leave Wanfahmai and Matt alone would occasionally join their tutoring session together as they revised their work together. They had finished their year-end school exam and were about to receive their results. Mr Danurut was giving out the result slips as he called out each student names individually. It was finally Wanfahmai’s turn as Mr Danurut congratulated her as he passed her the slip.

“You did it, Wanfahmai… You topped the cohort…”

Wanfahmai was pleasantly surprised. She was smiling from ear to ear as she looked at her result slip, before Mr Danurut whispered, “P’Tia wants to celebrate tonight… At her place… You’re not working today, aren’t you?” To which Wanfahmai shook her head.

Class was finally dismissed when Mr Danurut called Wanfahmai,

“What is it kroo?”

“I will need some time to finish my work before I can drive us over to P’Tia’s place.”

“Oh, don’t worry, kroo… I will be at the library… I need some time too maybe around two hours or so…?”

“Why are you going to the library?”

“I didn’t tell you that I am tutoring Matt, kroo?”

“Matt?”

“Yeah… It’s my side income… I’ll tutor him just until the national exams…”

“So that’s how you’ve been revising uh?”

“You know me so well, kroo… I hate studying… But by me tutoring him, it kind of help me in my revision without affecting my working hours… Perfect!” said Wanfahmai nonchalantly causing Mr Danurut to laugh as he continued, “Okay… I will text you when I am done…”

When she finally heads out of the classroom, Matt and Arthit were waiting for her, as they began to walk towards the library, Wanfahmai started the conversation.

“So, how did you guys do?”

“Arthit got worse, but I definitely got better…” came a simple reply from Matt.

“Worse? Your ranking dropped? Really, pres? Let me see…” asked a concerned Wanfahmai.

“Ayyy~~” as Matt chimed in. “I’m the one who improved and you’re more concerned about Arthit ranking second in this cohort?”

“Auw~! How can you prank me like that?!”

“It wasn’t a prank I stated the truth…”

“I think it wasn’t the truth but you just didn’t lie…”

“What difference does that make, Wanfahmai?”

"Matt... you wouldn't want Wanfahmai to start justifying that..." as Arthit interjects the conversation.

“Pres knows me well..." replied Wanfahmai with a smile on her face before she turned to Matt, "So how much did you improve?”

“You are finally curious uh?”

“Of course! You’re my student…”

“Here you go…” as Matt handed his result slip to her.

“Oh wow~! 20th? Really? What was your previous ranking?”

“68…”

“Wow~!”

“No need to be so surprise, Wanfahmai... I know I’m a good student if I try hard enough… All this while I was not studying on purpose…”

“No… That’s not why I said wow…” retort Wanfahmai.

“Then?!”

“The fact that I am such a good tutor… I should do this as proper job!”

Her statement made Arthit and Matt laughed out loud, before they finally settled down quietly in the library to continue to revise their work to prepare for the national exam. Their revision was interrupted when Wanfahmai received a text message. As soon as she read it,

“I got to go… Tutoring time is over.”

“Where are you going Wanfahmai?” asked Matt.

“I have something on…”

“But the lesson?”

“Two hours is up… In fact, we are 30 minutes over the time…”

“I told you, I’ll pay for the overtime…”

“Not today, and I really got to go…” said Wanfahmai hurriedly before leaving the library.

Arthit quickly packed up his belongings and when Matt saw him, “You’re leaving too?”

“Yeah… I’m going to head home… You carry on practising solving the equation alright?”

Arthit picked up his pace to catch up with Wanfahmai,

“Where are you going? Are you rushing to go to work? Do you want me to send you there?”

“I am not rushing to go to work… I am meeting kroo…”

“Kroo?”

“Yeah… Kroo is picking me up to go to P’Tia’s home…”

“Oh… Okay…”

“Why? Do you want to join us?”

“I don’t think P’Tia will welcome me…”

“Why not?” asked Wanfahmai when Mr Danurut who was waiting for her in his car near the building where the library is located, called her name,

“Wanfahmai! And oh?! Arthit is also here?”

“Yeah kroo…” came a reply from her.

“We should get going…”

“Kroo…”

“Yes?”

“Can pres come along as well?”

“Oh sure… Why not?” came a reply from Mr Danurut, with Wanfahmai turned to face Arthit, “See, I told you they wouldn’t mind…”

Mr Danurut noticed that Arthit was hesitant but he assured him, “It would be nice for you to join… Since the girls might gang up on me unexpectedly… A back up will definitely help…”

Arthit nodded as he replied, “I’ll bring my bike along, kroo…”

“Oh sure… You can just follow my car…”

“Alright give me a moment while I fetch my bike…”

“Okay, Arthit… We’ll wait for you here…”

Arthit quickly head towards his locker to get an extra helmet before heading towards the parking area where he had parked his motorcycle. He then clipped the extra helmet to his bike before riding off to where Mr Danurut and Wanfahmai was waiting in the car. As they were on the move, Mr Danurut struck a conversation with Wanfahmai,

“It seems that your relationship with Arthit got better? I mean you were adamant not to mentioned him before…”

“Yeah, I was uh, kroo? I’m sorry about that but it did get better actually… After that incident…”

“Really?”

“Yeah… I mean we talked things out… And we got back to being friends…”

“And he’s okay with you tutoring Matt?”

“Ahhh of course… Why do you ask?”

“Nothing I was just curious…”

“Nothing to be curious about, kroo… He will occasionally join me and Matt for a study session…”

“Woah~ The two top students in the cohort tutoring Matt?”

“No no no… I am the one doing most of the tutoring… Like I said he joined us occasionally…”

“So did you do a good job tutoring Matt?”

“His ranking improved by a lot~!”

“Really?”

“Yeah… He told me his previous ranking was 68th and now he’s ranked 20th in the cohort. I saw his result slip with my own two eyes!”

“Wow~! That’s impressive…”

“Indeed, I think he’s impressive… He told me that all this while, he was not trying to study… That’s why his grades .”

Mr Danurut laughed at how candid Wanfahmai was talking about Matt, as he continued, “I guess it’s true what I thought of you…”

“What is it, kroo?”

“I think you have the ability to bring the best in people…”

“I have to disagree, kroo…”

“Why?! Am I not allowed to my opinion?”

“It’s not that… I mean I still have my haters… You forgot what had happened just before the school’s exams?”

“Ahhh that… That’s an immature act… I am referring to the people that you inspire or motivate unknowingly…”

“Me? Inspire and motivate? Are you drunk, kroo? If you are… You shouldn’t be driving…”

“No, I am not drunk… P'Tia will have me killed if I do so... What I meant is that you made me, P’Tia, Ms Mint, Ms Mira to be better people. You may even say that we are living vicariously through you… Since we see so much hope in you, that we want to help you to achieve and realise your full potential. And we can only do so by being the best versions of ourselves in order to keep up with you…”

“You are really flattering me too much, kroo…”

“Oh, come on… Even your advance math teacher who is always stern and rigid spoke highly of you since you were so willing to join the math Olympiad when he suggested you to… He specifically chose you to represent the school for that math competition… You forgot about that achievement huh? And a greater achievement would be that he was so proud of you, that you got him smiling!”

“But you guys inspired me, just as well… So as not to disappoint you, I did what I can…”

“Don’t worry about disappointing us… We just want you to live your life to fullest…”

“How can I not worry… I am constantly grateful… And to show my gratitude… I tried my best so as not to let anyone who believe in me down…”

“You are really a sweet soul…”

“Stop it kroo… I’m getting goosebumps all over…”

When they finally reached Ms Daniya’s apartment, Arthit parked his bike

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter