So Close

Perfect Mess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

WEDNESDAY, 4 PM

For the whole afternoon, we wandered around the island. We played the tag game from the lighthouse to the ends of the islands, we explored it. As we rest at one of the biggest rocks not from the sea, I saw how the waves come like a coiffure fifties hairdo, over articulated in the curve, and difficult to turn away the look from. They move as the sea does, bringing the music of the seashore, the percussion segment thundering from the stony bed underneath yet mellowed by the water. The sea breeze feels good as it passes through my skin.

“Taeyeon” she called as I hummed and turned my head towards her direction. “Thank you.”

“For what, teaching you how to ride a bike?”

She inhales deeply before releasing a sigh, “For being there despite how hard the situation is.”

“What makes you say that?”

“I was having a hard time when I lost my mom. My father and older brother worked hard as a way of moving on. In the process of being one of the most successful businessmen, I lost my family even though they’re there but the time we used to spend is no longer present. I was lonely and desperate for attention ever since and I was blind enough to see that throughout those span of years, you were there helping me get back on track.”

I hung my head low when I realized the same thing too, “I know what it feels like losing someone and…” I sighed deeply preventing myself not to get emotional “that’s just how the way of life works. A friend once told me that life goes on and the key to surviving the day isn’t positivity, its acceptance. Accepting that not all days are good and happy, we will have bad days, we make mistakes, we fail, we mess up and that’s okay. Don’t be too harsh on yourself fany ah”

Tiffany blinks a few times after what she just heard, “What did you just call me?”

“Uhh, it’s getting dark now let’s head back home.” I stood up as I quickly walk away, avoiding the question. Tiffany followed me from behind and asked no further questions.

As we got home, we saw that the house is empty with nobody on guard. Maybe they are at the warehouse. I went to the kitchen as I sat near the counter thinking of what to cook next. I’m too lazy to cook right now! Should we have ramen instead?

“Hey what do you think of having ramen for dinner?” I loudly asked.

“Having what?” she came out of her bedroom changing her previous shirt into a plain white loose one.

“Ramen”

“I don’t like instant foods.”

“Seriously? Why are you so picky?” Welp, she reminds me of me though. Another karma for me then.

“Instant food is bad for your health.”

I scoffed, “What do you suggest I cook for tonight?”

“Anything except instant foods”

I wrinkled the top of my nose as I pushed my tongue against my teeth. “I’m not cooking! I’m so tired from all that walking and running!” I rested my head on the counter and suddenly I had a bright idea, “To be fair, why don’t you cook this time and I’ll wash the dishes?”

“I don’t know how to cook,” she said in a deadpanned tone.

“I don’t know how to cook before yet I tried my best and made a way for it, aren’t you going to do the same thing as well?” I crossed my arms.

“Did you have minor amnesia when you had that accident? Almost everything I ate is made and cooked by you, did you forget?”

“I don’t know if I should be touched by that or not. As I said, you’re cooking tonight. Good luck!” I said as I ran quickly towards my room. I heard her calling my name before locking the door and laughed.

________________________________________

Taeyeon and Tiffany stayed at Everland up until evening just to watch the fireworks display.  Yuri and Jessica went ahead leaving the two of them. As the two sat across each other, they ate their dinner quietly at the nearby restaurant. Taeyeon noticed the latter was quiet the whole time. She keeps on glancing at her from time to time.

“Tiffany are you okay?” Taeyeon asks in full concern but the girl just nods without looking at her. Taeyeon who’s dense enough to know what’s happening, continued to eat her food peaceful before opening up a topic, “What time does the fireworks display start?” she asked turning her head towards her

“9:30 PM” Tiffany replied coldly.

“Fany ah, please tell me what’s wrong. Is it because Yuri and Jessica left?” Tiffany just stared at her before turning away. 

“Mian Taeyeon ah," Tiffany stood up and clears , “Why don’t we head towards the souvenir shop and buy something before seeing the fireworks?”

“Let’s go!” Taeyeon cheered as she stood up and grab tiffany by the arm, “Pali Pali Pali!” she chants like a little kid dragging her mother.

_______________________________________

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter