Understanding the Past

Perfect Mess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In a room where it’s spacious and the only source of light is the one on top of the patient’s bed is a girl who suffered a severe pain of broken bones. It’s been two weeks since she was admitted to a private hospital and in those span of weeks, she was unconscious. Even so, her body would always comply with the medicines that were injected into her. As the blinders, we’re shut and the only lights are the ones on top of her, the room is filled with only the sound of a heart rate monitor and nothing else but pure silence.

Taeyeon suddenly saw visions of her being beaten up where she could remember every face except for one. How could she remember anything except for that man’s face? The next vision caught her off guard as she remembers drowning on the water with someone that looks like her. Could it be?

Her fingers moved and her eyes slowly open as her vision tries to adjust her environment. “Where am I?” she said while turning her head to the right only to see there was no one beside her in the room. Attempting to move her body, she felt a throbbing pain in her chest. Every breath she takes is painful as she groans from time to time. Her bruises are almost completely healed.

It was early in the morning when she woke up. Moments later, a group of intern doctor’s along with Doctor Kim came into her room to find out the patient is awake. Doctor Kim Hyoyeon rushed to her side and check her patient, “Taeyeon ah, how are you feeling?” she asked.

With a nasal cannula on Taeyeon's nose and a broken left arm, she used her right hand to point out which part is painful. “Does it hurt when you breathe or speak?” The doctor asked as Taeyeon nods. The group of intern doctors takes note of everything they have observed. Time passed as the doctors left the room leaving only Doctor Kim as she finished meeting the needs of her patient. She sat next to her and held her hand, “Taeyeon ah what’s going on?”

Taeyeon controls her breathing as she turned towards the doctor, “What happened?” she asked in a slow and weak voice.

“That’s what I wanted to know as well. Jessica sshi happened to pass by and found you jumped at the bridge and immediately called for help. Why would you do that?”

The latter blinks as she stared at her, “Jessica Jung?”

“I already informed your parents that you’re awake now. I know you hate hospitals but if you want to get out of her, you have to follow everything that I told you. Also, there’s someone who wants to have a word with you.” The door suddenly opened as the lights were . The doctor and patient looked at the source and saw a middle-aged man wearing a brown coat, a fedora, and a black leather sling bag in his shoulder.

“Hyoyeon can you excuse us for a moment? We have something important to discuss.” He said sternly as he placed his hat on top of the table. The doctor did as he said and went out of the room.

The man took a seat where the doctor sat awhile ago. He makes himself comfortable and looks at the girl lying on the bed. Taeyeon stared at him as she remembers if she met him before. The man clasp his hands and placed it on his lap, “You’re not from here aren’t you?”

Taeyeon widens her eyes, “Who are you?”

The man reaches a business card in his coat as she gives it to her, “I am a retired neurosurgeon but I'll be glad if you call me Doctor Kim.” Taeyeon stares at the card and nods. “Again, you are not from here aren’t you?” He saw her hesitates as she held her hand. “You can trust me Kim Taeyeon. I know you’re grandfather from both worlds well.” Her eyes widen in disbelief as her attention is focused on him.

“Just because you knew my grandfather doesn’t mean I can easily trust you.” She said in a whisper-like voice.

He sighed as he took his bag and takes out a folder, “I know this wouldn’t be easy convincing you but here.” He takes out an MRI result of both hers and the previous test. “It doesn’t match. The other is perfectly normal while the other is not. You are diagnosed with a Hyperthymesia, a brain disorder. With this, it proves my hunch that you are not from here.” After that, he flips the page as he takes out some photos. “Here is proof that I know you grandfather from both worlds and lastly,” he takes an old MRI file and showed it to her. “I believe th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter