S2 | Spells.

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yeji POV

 

 

Everything happened so fast, we barely had time to grasp what was going on. Hyunjin, Ma and I were downstairs watching a movie and Naeun was napping upstairs when the call came. We heard Mom's scream coming from Ma's phone the second she opened it.

"Get out of the house—" Mom's scared voice yelled before the connection was cut off. Immediately, Ma took action.

"OUT NOW!" Ma screamed at us, "NAEUN!"

Hyunjin and I shot up from our seat and ran towards the television while Ma sprinted upstairs. There were numerous emergency exits throughout the house but the closest one was a small mouse hole in the wall. Hyunjin shifted in a snake at the same time as I shifted into a mouse. The snake was bigger than I, so I jumped on his back and nailed my claws in his skin. Hyunjin didn't seem to notice the pain because he slid through the hole. The tunnel was not particularly long but it seemed otherwise.

My heart was beating so fast and yet I had no idea what was going to happen. I kept remembering my Mom's scared voice and that alone made my blood freeze.

It was when we arrived outside that I felt the heat wave throwing me a few feet away. I could feel my fur almost burn from the intensity of the heat. The wave was so powerful I didn't feel myself falling on the ground. My ears were ringing and my vision was all blurry. I hadn't noticed shifting back into my human form until I used my elbows to lift me up. But I almost wished I hadn't looked.

The house had been blown up. It was all gone; there was nothing left but ruins on fire. Black smoke covered the sky. Fire and debris of the house surrounded us. The home I spent the three best years of my life was suddenly all gone. All the memories, the laughs and the tears disapppeared in flame.

I looked around, seeing the extent of the damage until something caught my eye. I turned towards the street in time to see Mom getting hit on the head and thrown in the back of a black car. I wanted to scream at her to tell her to watch out; tell her we were fine but the man standing beside her made my throat tightened.

Standing there with a grin on his face was Dong Taeyang. I recognized his stright posture and red-orange hair. He spoke on the phone before walking around to the passenger seat with a satisfied look on his face.

"Get up..." I faintly heard my brother say as he pulled my arm up, "Yeji, let's go!"

I got up and stood shakily by my brother but something blocked my movement. I looked down and saw a piece of wood sticking just above my hip. With a grunt I took the wook in both my hands and removed it from my flesh. Tears appeared in my vision but I refused to cry. This was not the time. Blood intantly started flowing but the gash was not deep enough to cause problem. I'll survive.

"We have to find Ma and Naeun." Hyunjin said. My brother didn't seem to have any serious injuries which gave me a little relief. He had cuts and bruises over his body and his head was bleeding.

I swore. I completely forgot about them for a moment. I started running through what was left of the house as Hyunjin took flight as a bird. I could feel the heat on my skin, almost burning. My eyes were getting blurry from the smoke and the debris was making it hard for me to walk. I tried not to touch anything so that I wouldn't get burned, but it was getting harder with the uneven ground.

I saw the remnants of debs and sofas. Pictures and paintings were up in flames. I saw Naeun's favorite stuff Pegasus on the ground. It was mostly burnt, and one of its eye had melted off. I picked it up and continued my search.

"Ma! Naeun!"

I screamed Ma and Naeun's name over and over again but there was no response. I could hear the sirens in a distance which didn't leave us much time. We couldn't be seen here, like this.

I heard a little scream to my right and ran to that direction. I approached the pool, where the burnt living room sofa ended up in and saw two figures in the water. Naeun was trying to keep her head over water as she held on the burning sofa for dear life. Ma's body was floating beside her, face in the water. If I hadn't known she was with Naeun, I wouldn't have recognized her.

"Over here!" I yelled in the air and saw a Great Fisher fly down from the sky and dive into the water. I jumped after him, head first. I lost my breath the moment I entered the water and suddenly felt claustrophobic. The dark water surrounded me and engulfed me as an enemy this time.

Seconds later my head was out of the water and I was swimming as fast as I could to close the little distance between me and my three year old sister. I grabbed her shaking body from behind and gently turned her to face me.

"I've got you, sweetheart." I said to her with emotions swirling in my voice.

"Yejin?" Naeun sniffled. She started crying on my shoulders as she wrapped her tiny arms around my neck.

"Shhh, you're okay, you're okay," I whispered in her ear and her wet hair.

From behind me, Hyunjin grew into a giant with Ma thrown over his shoulder. He stepped out of the poo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter