S2 | Relationship.

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yeji POV

 

Our house was relatively small, but big enough for the five of us to live comfortably. It was a simple two story house with a basement located in the countryside of our little village. Hyunjin, Naeun and I all had our own room but my brother and I had to share a bathroom though we never complained. It was more than we ever dreamed of having in our lives. We also had a pool in our backyard that my family had installed after we arrived.

Every morning, a peaceful routine roused in our house. My brother or little sister would wake me up since I hated mornings. What can I say, I had fallen in love with my bed. It was the most comfortable thing I had ever been on and I wanted to spend as much time as possible on it, because who knows when it won't be there anymore.

Anyway, I would eat with Naeun, Hyunjin and Mom and having small talk. Ma did not eat breakfast often with us but we had all gotten used to it. Today, she came to eat with us but left earlier to drop Naeun at kindergarten. Sana was a teacher at our school but Hyunjin and I preferred to get there on our own since Mom usually had to be there earlier.

"No," Mom said to the third time, "You cannot go to your friend's party."

"Come on Mom, you told Hyunjin he could go," I whined.

"I will not punish your brother because you can't be sophisticated enough to stop drinking when you should,"

"That happened once, it won't happen again. I'm over it now," I said.

"Well I'm not. Yeji, we found you passed out in the middle of a street miles away from where you were supposed to be. That is not something a parent forgets easily. So my answer is no and that's final."

Hyunjin had remained silent the time we argued. He had stopped getting involved a while back when he started to know better. I didn't mind, because I was the one who had a rebellious attitude.

I poured a second bowl of cereal and started to eat in silence while Hyunjin and Mom talked about school. Hyunjin was the good boy. He never got into trouble, he loved school and was noce to everyone. He was always cool and passive but he was scary when he was angry. He was very protective of me, because I was restless.

My twin brother and I had this weird bond between us because of all the things we had gone through. We used to always take care of each other, because we were all we had, but now I was having more trouble adapting to our new loving family than he was. I guess me being reckless was because some part of me stayed in the sewers where Ma found us during her mission and I couldn't find my way out.

"So Mom," I said after I swallowed my bite, "When do you think you could help me with the dance routine?" 

"About that," She said with guilt. I stopped eating and turned my body around the chair to face her. Mom smiled sheepishly, "I told Chewie that she was going to help you instead."

"What!?" I yelled and Mom cringed.

"Sorry sweetie, but I'm very busy with school and the upcoming exams. Chewie is off work for a couple of weeks and maybe spending time together will be good for both of you."

I groaned. This was not what I wanted to hear in the morning.

"Hush now, she's your mother as well and you are going to treat her nicely," Mom said before kissing my cheek, "She's not the monster you believe her to be."

I stayed quiet to reflect what Mom said. I didn't practically like Ma but I also didn't project her to be a monster even after hearing all those stories about her. My family was extremely severe on naming and describing people. Words like monster, murderer, friend and crazy were not to be spoken lightly or at all.

"Be at the park after school, your mother is going to wait for you there. I have a meeting tonight but I'll be home for super."

"You're going to make Ma cook?" I asked dreadfully. Mom laughed as grabbed her purse. Last time my Ma tried to cook, she almost burned the hourse down.

"Of course not. She's going to order pizza. Bye now, don't be late for school."

"Wait for me Mom, I need a ride to school!" Hyunjin said as he ran to catch her.

"Bye," I replied but I doubt they heard me as they walked out of the house. I finished my breakfast alone in time to hear Daehwi's car coming up the driveway. I put my bowl and spoon in the dishwasher and went to greet him at the door. I smiled at him and wrapped my arms around his neck. He returned the feeling and kissed my cheek since I was a little taller than him.

I loved being tall and broad. It gave me and others a sense of strength and intensity small people unfortunatelly do not have. Unlike the many other boyfriends I had, Daehwi was one of the few who didn't mind me being taller than him nor was bothered that I chose so by choice. That made me love him a little more.

"Are you ready?" He asked me. I nodded. Together, we went to his car and he drove us to school. Daehwi drove like an old woman; he stop properly at all stops and never went over the speed limit in contrary to me who liked adrenaline and breaking the rules.

My friends and I were the misfits of the school and it didn't matter if my grandfather was the Principal of that my mother was one of the coolest teachers (not only according to me) because they treated me exactly like any other. But like any young teenagers, we had too much energy and too much of a big ego to sit down and listen to adults talk about stuff. Don't get me wrong, I passed all my classes with good grades, I just didn't do as good as I should have.

 

 

 

School ended faster than I wanted to. I had to cancel my fun night with my friends to meet up with Ma. Unfortunately they decided to join me to the park where they were going to watch me and Ma do whatever it was we were supposed to be doing. My friends had a knack of laughing at me whenever they could but I was not going to let them get their fun. It was also a unique time to gawk at my mother who was well known and feared throughout the supernatural society.

It was rare that Ma would make an appearance in normal standard situations like school, parent meetings or walking down the street to get the groceries. She was dark, mysterious and mostly kept to herself. Everyone could see that she had been through a lot and that she was hiding something horrible.

"Everything is going to be fine," Daehwi whispered in my ear.

"I'm not nervous," I lied. "She's my Ma. I'm just afraid we are going to be fighting again."

We made it to the park and I saw Ma patiently leaning on her green 2015 Ninja motorcycle. She wore a leather jacket, black jeans and dark blue scarf. Her hair was in a French braid that went over her shoulder. Her attention was on the young kids who were playing in the games, but she was not to be fooled. Ma knew I was there before I saw her.

I had learned the hard way when I tried to sneak out of the house by shifting into my brother or Mom or even a small animal and no matter what, she always knew it was me. It was quite annoying really, but I still tried anyway because it had now become a game between her and I whether or not I can pass her guard.

"Ma." I greeted her when I arrived next to her. She turned her hard eyes to me and smiled. I got used to the fact that Ma's smiles were either empty or tight but still meant the same thing as a sincere one.

"Hey Chameleon," She said and did a quick nod towards Daehwi.

"Hi, Mrs. Tzuyu," Daehwi said nervously but it was unheard since Ma gave me her full attention and, in the process, totally ignored Daehwi. One of the many things I hated about her; dismissing others as if they were not worthy of her attention.

"Sana told me that you needed help with your dancing," She said before beckoning me to walk beside her towards one of the games while Daehwi made his way to my friends sitting on a bench close by. "She also told me that I needed to prove myself to you that I am a good candidate to help you."

"Can you even dance?" I said curtly.

"Of course," Ma siad with a smile, "I find that fighting and dancing belong in the same category. They are very much alike. Beside, my parents forced me to take lessons and it help Sana dearly to seduce me."

I stuffed a laugh. I did hear the magnificent story of how Mom managed to get Ma to fall in love with her. Even I had to admit it was an adorable story. It was interesting the different versions that both my parents and aunts all told.

"It's not the dance part that I have trouble with. It's the acrobatics." I told her.

"I know," She said, "Everything in life, especially acrobatics, is about balance. First, you must know your body. You find that center inside you and you will be able to do a numerous amount of things with it. All you need to do afterward is build your body in a manner that will allow you to do those things."

The game we were facing was a made for children to play in. There was a slide with a roof on top held by four metal bars and a bridge that linked to platforms together. Beside the slide was were metal bars forming a wall so the kids won't fall and hurt themselves.

Ma took her jacket off and placed it nicely on the nearest bench. She then took the cap I was wearing and put it on the ground by my feet. I frowned at her but Ma told me not to touch it and watch.

Ma stretched her muscles in a little before taking a step and lifting herself for a hand stand. She moved around as if her hands were her feet. On her hands, she walked to the game and grabbed the side of the slide. She then hopped on with both hands and walked to the top.

I heard a gasp from beside me and saw that the children, parents and teenagers were starting to make their way and see. They were all looking at Ma, who still had not dropped to her feet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter