S1 | Aftermath.

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I recommend you to listen I love you. Enjoy your read!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Life is a funny thing. We fight to keep living but we are only reminded of it with pain.

The agony had woken me up though at that moment I wished I'd never had. My entire body was hurting and it was the only thing that told me I was alive. Unfortunately, the pain was nothing but a scratch one the memories started to come back.

I remembered the war. I remembered being separated from Tzuyu and fighting those assassins and I remembered the aftermath. Shock and fear filled me and I shot up from the bed I was lying on. I opened my eyes and saw white from the blinding lights over my heads. Bad idea.

A massive headach appeared and my body protested from my sudden movements. With a groan I fell back down because the pain was too much to handle and my breath became uneven. A gentle hand touched my shoulder to steady me.

"Easy there," I heard Mina's voice say, "You are still recovering."

I concentrated on my friend's hand until the pain was remotely bearable. I decided to try opening my eyes once again but more slowly this time. With that, I noticed I was in a hospital room which came to no surprised. The room was a nice light blue-white colour. There were two doors, a window and a small table but nothing else. I blinked a few times to adjust to the lighting above my head because it was too bright or maybe it was just me.

I was concious that my left arm was securely attached to my body and I could feel my wings behind my back. They were outreached to each side and were supported by suspended braces.

I turned my head and followed the hand that was still on my shoulder up to my friend's face. Mina didn't look good. Her hair was in a messy bun and it looked as if she had lost twenty pounds. Her cheeks were hollow and her clothes were baggy which was extremely uncharacteristic of her.

"Mina," I tried to say but my voice was hoarse as if I had swallowed a kilo of burning charcoal. I cleared my throat as best as I could because even that movement hurt, "Hey Mina, you look like ."

Mina chuckled, "Well you aren't much better," I smiled a little. Mina raised a hand and hesitated before softly brushing my cheek, "I'm glad you are awake, sweetheart. I'm so glad. I've missed you." She choked up. To reassure her, I took her hand in mine and squeezed it.

"Yeah, I'm here," I whispered and my friend smiled at me relieved. "I missed you too." We stayed like this but something was really bugging me.

"Mina, I know it's bright but why are you wearing sunglasses indoors?" I asker her. Mina's body stiffened. She removed her hand from mine and used both to grab the sunglasses. I gasped.

Her eyes were no longer the beautiful green-gray I knew. They were replaced by white cataracts. The pupils were white and there were no irises. Burnt scars surrounded her eyes from the bridge to the nose to the far side of each of them and down to the beginning of her cheekbones.

"Mina, your eyes... What happened to your eyes?" I said as I turned to my side and raised myself with one elbow. With my free hand I grazed her scars afraid I would hurt her. It was incredible. There was nothing but emptiness.

"Some lizard demon spat acid saliva in my eyes and by the time we asked a healer for help, it was too late," Mina said grimly. I sunk back into the pillows closing my eyes shut.

"This is so messed up," I said. I stayed silent for a few seconds before asking the dreadful question that had been on the tip of my tongue since I woke up, "What happened? Who else is injured? Did anybody die? Where's Chewie?"

Mina rested a hand on my shoulder again to stop my ranting. Her face held no expressions which indicated that the news was not good. I closed my eyes once again and listened to my friend. She explained what happened during the war and the aftermath. She told me that it was the Principal that found me under the castle remains and that I almost didn't come out. She also told me that the Duke of Farnon, Riker and the Hound were all dead.

"Mom is fine. She had cuts and bruises that the Duke did to her. The pumped a lot of drugs in her so it took about a week of rehab to clean her system. Her magic is slowly coming back.

A quarter of Dad's body got burn by Wizard's Fire. The healers managed to save him but he will forever be swallowing painkillers and use specially made herbal lotion to protect the skin but it got him a reputation. He is now known as the 'Burnt King: the wolf who killed the Hound.'

Aunty JungHee died. She was killed on the battlefield. The Principal and Chaeyoung came back with barely any scratches on them. Our cousin Dahyun got hit by a sword and almost died. The healers saved her and she will be able to walk and talk soon. Jeongyeon got stuck in a bear trap and the healers had to cut her leg off. Nayeon and the baby are also fine—"

"Baby?" I cut her off surprised, "Nayeon is pregnant?"

"Yeah, she is," Mina smiled genuinely for the first time.

"Jeongyeon must be ecstatic. I can just imagine her hogging the life out of Nayeon," I chuckled at the thought.

"Jeongyeon died yesterday," Mina said. My laughter stopped abruptly. I was speechless. I opened my mouth but nothing came out so I closed it again. I tried again and this time my voice came out shaking.

"But you said she was fine," I told her. Mina shook her head.

"She was fine. The healers fixed her leg and she was breathing and laughing until yesterday. They must have missed another injury or her heart just failed. The healers think it was something else."

I was in shock. One of my best friends was just gone; just like Momo. How could someone like Jeongyeon die? How was it possible for someone to live through a war only to die from something else?

"I don't get it. She survived the war. She fought and lived for a reason," I said.

"People keep dying, Sana. A war won't stop life from following its habits. Sometimes people just... die."

I was in too much of a shock to cry. I simply stared at the ceiling.

"What about Chewie?" I could out but Mina remained silent. I turned to look at her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter