S1 | The Grand Ball.

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tonight was when the Grand Ball took place. The ballroom was decorated in traditional medieval materials. Five huge crystal chandeliers were hanging from the sealing. To one side, there was the banquet and the expensive wine and champagne. To the other, the orchestra was playing delicate music. 

There was a small plataform where important people are going to give speeches tonight. The only way to the main floor is a flight of stairs covered in red carpet. There is a balcony that surrounds the entire ballroom. Paitings covered the walls and rare artifacts can be viewed in window cases.

Right now, I was dressed in a dark forest green dress that went a little lower than my knees. It had a V-neck that showed a little of my cleavage. I had two inch silver grey high heels. The pendant that I wore was visible on my neck. It was the only object that used to belong my mother and I had very rarely taken it off since she died.

My hair was nicely styled in a crown on the top of my head. Jihyo had styled it for me this morning. She and Jeongyeon didn't come because they were a year too young for the party.

Most of the guests had arrived early afternoon to start on their business contracts. Everyone was dressed in beautiful gowns and suits. The styles varied from the 1600's to the newer ones that weren't on the market yet. I was waiting for the Ettore family to show up when Chaeyoung stepped beside me. She was dressed in a white chemise with black and grey buttons V-neck vest waistcoat, and black pants and business shoes. Chaeyoung wore a grey tie loosely around her neck and her sleeves were rolled up so we could see her tattoos on her right arm. I'm not going to deny it – this girl has style.

"Waiting for someone?" She said.

"I am," Not sure why she came to see me.

She pointed my white hair and made a gesture of understanding.

"Now I see why you were asked to cover your hair with a tuque the night you came into my bar," She smiled. "There are not many races that hold the unique trait of white hair. Most are extinct or have been killed years ago."

"How did you know I was at your bar?" I asked surprised.

"Wild guess?" She laughed at my expression but did not answer my question. She stayed beside me and looked around the room. "Don't be alarmed, but I'm afraid the Duke of Fanron has graced us with his presence," I looked to where Chaeyoung was pointing at and swore. The Duke was hard to miss with his obesity and ugliness. He had expensive jewelry dangling on him and his bald head was shining in the light.

"What is he doing here?" I asked in disgust. Chaeyoung shrugged.

"Who knows? He's a politician, and I guess he can't stay away from free food," We both laughed. "Ah, here they come," Chaeyoung said as she looked up.

At the top of the stairs stood the Ettore family, and they were all very well dressed. Minho Ettore had a black suit and tie and he had linked his arm with his wife. Suzy Ettore was wearing a silver grey gown with a diamond necklace. Her jewelry was not excessive but very present. Her silver high heel shoes gave her a couple of inches in height.

The parents came down the stairs elegantly and were immediately welcomed by the principal. Behind them were the triplets, who were slowly walking down. Nayeon was standing to the left. She had a one strap red dress that came down to her knees. Her hair was tied up on one side and fell in curls over her shoulder, we could see her earrings clearly. She had a little makeup but enough that her piercing blue eyes to stand out. She had black four inches high heels and an ankle bracelet.

Beside her, Mina was wearing a sleeveless light blue dress. The dress went down in waves to cover her feet. Her red hair was in a messy yet beautiful bun, she had blue and white flowers in them. Her makeup was just enough to project her gorgeous features. To her right stood Tzuyu, and as usual, she was the simplest of them. She had a black dress to her knees and flat sandals that went up to her calf. She had no jewelry but a little makeup. I wondered how long Mina begged to put some on her.

Tzuyu's brown hair was styled in a French braid down to the middle of her back but it was casually thrown over her shoulder. Her light brown eyes were as dull as ever but she was gorgeous anyways. It was a natural beauty she gave out just like her other sisters.

When they saw us, they came directly to greet us. After our greetings Nayeon left to find the alcohol stating she was going to need it for tonight.

"Mina, you looked stunning tonight. I never had thought I would see you in such clothing," Chaeyoung said once Nayeon left. Mina blushed a little before covering it up with a smile.

"Thank you, Chaeyoung. You, eh, look nice too," She stuttered.

"Well, I just wanted to be the first to greet you. Do not worry, I will come to see you later on tonight. Unfortunately for me, I have business to attend to." She waved us goodbye and bowed to Tzuyu who bowed back before leaving.

"Wow, wasn't that nice," I said sarcastically.

"Shut up, Sanake."

"So, what are you doing all night?" I asked.

"Well, my sisters and I are going to be following Mom and Dad. We have to learn about politics for when we own our family business." She said smugly, "What about you?"

"Same, I'm stuck following the Principal for the first part of the evening," I grumbled. This was going to be boring, I just hope it will get better as the night progresses.

I turned my head when I heard my foster Dad calling my name, "Good luck. I'll see you later, you too Tzuyu." We smiled at each other before going our ways and Tzuyu silently followed Mina towards their parents.

 

 

Time went by and I was standing next to the Principal, bored, while he was talking with an old couple. He had asked me to follow him around and meet guests for the image he projected to them. I really was not into politics, but as the foster child of the Principal it was an obligation. Actually that's not true, I lost a bet to him this morning and he made me do this. JYP said he 'didn't want to suffer alone' because he hates politics more than I do. Anyway, after a few fake smiles and a long discussion about education the couple left and was replaced by Mrs. Ettore.

"Excuse me, Sana?" Mrs. Ettore said as she approached us. "We did not have time to greet tonight. How are you?"

"I'm good, and you?"

"I'm fine," She smiled. "Actually, I came here to thank you."

"Thank me? What for?" I asked startled.

"Tzuyu. I know you and my daughter spend time together, and I noticed she has opened up to you."

"That's an understatement, Tzuyu doesn't open up," I corrected.

"Ah, well you see, I have spent years trying to get to where you are with my daughter. I never understood why she shut herself out to us and I have tried to break her barries but with no luck. Although with you, she seems more – alive – than she used to. So, I wanted to thank you for that."

"You're welcome. I–" I was cut of by none other than the Duke of Fanron.

"Well, hello Mrs. Suzy Ettore. The years have been good to you, I see." The Duke said as he arrived beside us. He offered her one of the wine glass he had in his hands. Mrs. Ettore looked at the glass but made no move to grab it, "My dear Suzy, I'm sure you know it is impolite to refuse a gift from a guest. You would hurt my feelings if you refuse such a small friendly gesture."

The way he looked at Mrs. Ettore made me want to puke. He was looking at her hungrily and his whole body gave us a hint of what he wanted to do with her. REluctantly, the woman took the wine glass into her delicate hands. He smiled and waved a toast to her before taking a sip of his own wine. Suzy mirrored his movements and brought the cup to her lips but a hand prevented her from drinking. Tzuyu was standing beside her mother with a hand on the cup.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Suzy asked. Silently, Tzuyu took the wine glass from her mother and replaced it with her own. Moving her attention to the Duke in front of her, she took a huge sip of the wine without taking her eyes off the Duke. The fat man watched as she drank from the cup he provided to Mrs. Ettore. His mouth was straight like and his eyes were blazing with anger but he managed to cover it up with a tight smile.

"This must be one of your daughters, right, Suzy?" The Duke said, never taking his eyes off Tzuyu, "What your name, kid?"

The principal and I stayed silent as the exchange continued because we were not really sure how to react. It was obvious that they had all forgotten we were there.

"My name is of no importance to you," Tzuyu said in dull tone but her body was tense as she spoke.

"No need to get defensive here, I was just talking to your mother for old time sake," He glanced at Suzy and she flinched a little. Tzuyu gently laid a hand on her mother's shoulder and none of us missed the hint of possessiveness in her action. The Duke glared at her hand but made no move to remove it.

"Tzuyu, what's going on?" Suzy asked looking at her daughter. Tzuyu ignored her and continued to watch the Duke as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter