S1 | The Tryouts. [PART 2]

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I yawned.

The tryouts started early today and I didn't have enough sleep last night. This morning, the students were separated in four teams of eight. The teams were equally divided between the players because we were doing scrimmage games.

The two coaches, Jihyo, Jeongyeon and I were scattered around the field of play to observe the game which consisted of a forest and a wide open space. I was sitting on a tree branch, close to one of the flags. The other flag was on a small hill in the meadow. The team I was observing at the moment was bundled together, trying to come up with the best tactic to win.

"Everyone understand what we are doing?" Taehyung said to the rest.

"Uh, I'm sorry but that plan leaves an opening on our defence, we should probably–" A boy next to him said but was cut off by Taehyung.

"Look newbie, it's not that you're not smart or anything but I'm the leader here and you do as I say."

"Hear what Jungkos has to say, meat boy, your plan ," Tzuyu said grumbly. "And who said you were the leader?"

"My name is Jungkook." The boy whispered but everybody ignored him.

"Listen you crazy, I was on the team last year, so I have more credibility." Taehyung responds.

"No wonder why your team lost,"

"Why don't you come up with a plan then?" A girl said before Taehyung could reply.

"No can do, I'm not a planner. I follow the strategy and do changes accordingly but I don't create them. I'm not about to follow a lousy plan like yours. Listen to what Jungkos has to say." Tzuyu said.

"You will go with the plan because I'm the leader."

"It doesn't matter if you are, I will not follow a leader that will make us lose. Besides, a good leader listens to his teammates and you obviously can't do that. Come on Jungkos, we are going to watch from the trees." Tzuyu said pulling the boy away from the group.

"But my name is Jungkook," The boy said, his voice fading away as they marched through the forest.

"Filthy cowards. Come on guys, we are going through the same plan. We don't need cowards on our team," I laughed, the plan Taehyung made was good for thirteen players, but it was not sufficient enough for six. The game started and finished within minutes.

The rest of the games were longer and more interesting. I spent most of the day watching and analysing how the students perform in a group.

 

 

By the lunch, we were down the last cut which would determine our team this year. Jeongyeon and I would finally be able to play in the afternoon. The teams were Tzuyu, me and Jungkook vs Mina, Nayeon and Jeongyeon. We were ten against ten. In our strategy, I was in offensive line, coming from above while the rest of the offence would attack from the ground. Jungkook was skilled with snipers so he was on the defensive line, hidden in the trees and Tzuyu was also tasked to protect the flag that stood in the middle of the woods.

"Good luck," I told her and she nodded.

We got into position as we heard the gun fire. And the game began.

I bolted upwards, trying not to get hit by the branches. When I made it out of the forest, I had a bird eyed view of the arena. The sun was bright in the sky threatening to blind me every time I looked in this direction. 

I could see the enemy flag in a meadow on my right. There was a clearing not far away from the hem of the forest. It was obvious that the enemy knew I would be attacking from above so it was unwise to try and steal the flag until my team was in position. I could see four enemy players around their flag so it left six hidden in the forest. I saw Mina standing by her teammates in plain view looking towards the sky, smart – she was looking for me.

Both flags were standing in great tactical position. Our flag was in the forest which made it hard to pin point its location. It was easy for the defenders as well as the attackers to hide. On the other hand, having a flag in plain sight is also good because the defenders could see the attacks from yards away and create a good defensive blockade according to the situation.

I heard a commotion down bellow. There was a head to head battle in the clearing; three os my guys against five of theirs. Nayeon was in the middle of her group fighting with her claws but I couldn't see Jeongyeon anywhere. She must have gone another way, I hoped Tzuyu was ready to face her.

I dove down behind one of the opponent and wacked him with my wing. He went flying across the air and onto the ground and didn't get back up. Everyone stilled for a second, trying to figure out what happened. Nayeon, turned around and smirked when she saw me.

She completely ignored the fight around her because all of her attention was on me. With speed, she came to me with her fist held high, but I dodged at the last second. I counter attacked when she was unstable but she managed to block my blow. We continued to fight, fist to fist, trying to find a weak point and let me say that it was not easy.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two of my partners escaping the battle and run into the woods in the direction of the opponents' flag. It now became two against four. I retreated from Nayeon and made my way towards my guy. He was panting and looked tired but was still willing to fight.

We were back to back keeping an eye on our enemies who were now surrounding us. At once, all four charged and attacked us from all sides. I fought back but it was getting harder and harder. I used my magic to throw power beams and managed to knock one girl out cold. I heard a scream beside me as Nayeon twisted my partner's arm behind his back. She punched him in the face and he went down like a ragged doll.

All three opponents remaining tried to surround me but I backed away to make sure I had all of them in my sight. Nayeon made the first dash and the others followed. Anticipanting this tactic I bent over, crossed my arms around my stomach and covered my body with my wings. I closed my eyes and only listened to the steps coming my way, I gathered my power at the center of my core and, when the steps were close enough I opened my wings and threw my arms wide like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon and flew for the first time.

I released my magic in all directions and a shock wave blasted through the clearing. My opponents were jerked backwards and landed into the forest a hundred yards away.

I was panting hard, having little energy left but it was not over, Nayeon was painfully getting up from the ground. The tree beside her had a dent where she smashed into it. The other two were not getting up anytime soon.

Man, Nayeon was a tough chick to fight. She was a very agressive fighter but she let her emotions take control which was how I was able to see through her. She limped back into the open space and smiled at me. She took her stance and got ready to attack again.

I groaned, my body was healing from the countless of hits I received. But she never came because Jungkook was running through the forest. He had a scared look on his face and pointed to the direction he came from. Nayeon turned and frowned when she saw him.

"Guys, guys, come quicky. They're trying to kill each other, hurry!" Jungkook shouted. My heart stopped beating for a second before I sprinted as fast as I could towards our base. I could hear the growls getting louder and louder. 

When Nayeon and I arrived at the flag, we found Jeongyeon and Tzuyu going at it but it was not just a fist fight, it was a blood battle. Jeongyeon was in her werewolf form and was snarling and clawing. Tzuyu was growling, showing her teeth. Her red eyes were wild and savage and magic surrounded her like a black cloak. Both of them were trying to kill each other.

They were both bloody and battered. Jeongyeon was on top, biting in Tzuyu's fleshand, she screamed in pain. The girl managed to get out from under the wolf and jumped on Jeongyeon's back. She tipped the wolf off her feet and straddled Jeongyeon with her legs. With a smug grin, Tzuyu grabbed Jeongyeon muzzle, one hand on her upper jaw and one on her lower one. With much force Tzuyu started to pull Jeongyeon mouth in opposite direction in hopes of breaking it. Jeongyeon was whinning in pain as she tried to get Tzuyu off her back.

Nayeon ran across the field and rammed into both figures and all three tumbled over and onto the ground. Nayeon grabbed her sister by the throat and threw her into a tree. Jeongyeon got up and charged back but Nayeon grabbed her from behind to hold her in place. Nayeon grabbed Tzuyu by the shoulders and pushed her against the tree again.

"What's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter