S1 | Crossroad. [PART 2]

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 


It was night time. Only the bright moon and the stars lightened the darkness of the graveyard. There was a light breeze blowing across the tombstones and through my hair. The silence was a calming contrast to the inner battle that was happening in my mind.

I was sitting in front of my family's tombstones, wondering where to start in the long and complicated story. And so, I started at the beginning, when the principal  called me to his office and told me I had a mission to accomplish. 

I explained what happened the first time I saw the triplets and told them how much Tzuyu had creeped me out. I went on about the beach and the first time I had ever heard her laugh. I talked about the first time we kissed and had . The first time we danced and the first time I saw her kill someone; our first date and my first visit to the Underground. No matter how many good things I said about Tzuyu, there was a bad one right behind the corner.

"I'm so lost," I told them in a whispered tone, "I really like this girl, but I'm afraid. Not of her, but what might happened to her. She is so unstable, she's like a ticking bomb. I'm afraid that I won't be enough to keep her on her two feet, and frankly, I don't think I could take it if she did explode." I laughed hard, "That idiot doesn't even know what she's doing to me."

"What an odd place to be on a school night," I heard a voice say behind me. I didn't have to look behind me to know it was the principal who spoke. I heard the old man's feet shuffling as he marched his way to me and took a seat on the cold green grass. He took a deep breath enjoying the fresh air before turning his attention to the stones before him.

"Do you know what I am, Sana?" He asked me seriously.

"A white dragon." I answered.

"And do you know how I ever got a hold of you when you parents died?"

I shook my head.

"Well, as you know, white dragons and angels were allies back in the day and were commonly found entwined together. Your mother and I were friends since infancy. We lived as neighbors in the Amber City. One of the greatest city ever existed and it still is to this day." He spoke with awe, "Anyway, we were inseparable and the more we grew up, the closer we got."

"What are you saying?" I said cutting him off.

"Your mother and I were lovers," My eyes widened and tried to speak but he put his hand up shushing me, "Let me finish. It's not a pretty story, not for me. Like I said, your mother and I were lovers and for a few years it was great. Everybody wanted to be with her and I was the luckiest man alive because she had chosen me. Her best friend. The best years of my life were in the arms of your mother. But as always, all good things must come to an end.

One day, the royal family of angels passed by our village and the prince, your father, had an encounter with your mother. One simple encounter was enough for him to fall in love with your mother. That was how great she was. Your father came back into town and courted her. At first she hated him because he was so pushy and arrogant. I was jealous but I knew I had nothing to fear because she was mine and I was hers.

After a while, your mother slowly started to like him and got used to him being around. We grew distant, not much, but enough that I noticed what was going on therefore I was the first to see that she had fallen for the prince of angels. She had opened her heart for another man other than myself.

From there, things started to fall. Your mother was torn between the prince and I, and I was someone she knew inside and out. I was her comfort zone and her rock but the prince was a mystery. He was new and brought fire to her soul. He was the unpredictable and your mother loved that.

It was at a certain point where your mother had to choose between us. It took her a few years but in the end she chose him. I remember clearly the day she ripped my heart out of my chest. She was crying the whole time telling me how sorry she was and how she was giving up her best friend for the person she loved. I was beyond sad by then. I was angry. The only thing good in my life had rejected me for someone else. And because of that, I did some bad things.

The Great War had begun by that time and I had chosen the wrong side. I went to the demon side and helped them take down our world piece by piece. I was too far gone in my misery to care what happened to anyone crossing my path.

I remember it was at the end of the war when it happened. The demons had tried to break through the Amber City walls for years but to no avail. The city was where all the councelors and most powerful beings resided; where all the artifacts were held in a treasure room and where everything happened. They knew that if they controlled the Amber City, they would dominate the city most impenetrable.

My mission was to infiltrate inside, open the doors from behind the walls and let them in but I was stopped by your mother. She had come to plead me to end my hateful acts. She begged me to not open the doors. She told me she had always loved me and that I was her rock. She apologized for hurting me and I broke down. I did as she asked like I have always had and kept the doors closed. I had remembered who I was.

That was the last time we kissed and the last time we saw each other.

And for this simple reason, the tide of the war had turned. The demons never conquered the city and were all killed. Their planned failed and a few months later, the war ended.

I was put to prison and condemned to death for treachery but your mother supported me before the counsel and told them what I had done had a major impact to our victory. So instead of killing me, they sanctioned me to community service. They had built schools to try and unify the supernatural beings, creating peace and one of these schools needed a headmaster.

I was condemned to be a Principal: a model for peace and unification to children for one thousand years. That was my punishment and I only have two hundred years to go. At first I despised every bit of it but I became accustomed and learned to love it. As for the Amber City, well I have been exiled forever."

"What does this have to do with anything?" I asked.

"We're getting there. Now, I had not spoken to your mother in centuries so it came as a shock when I received a message from her saying she was in trouble and needed me to protect something of hers. 

I didn't believe it at first, so I ignored the warning. That was nineteen years ago. A few days later I had watched the news and witnessed the message of her and her family's death. I quickly went to her place, through the Underground passage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter