Ep 9 - Shanghai office

Secretary Lee

Though it was only a 2hrs flight from Gimpo to Shanghai Pudong Airport, but to Sungmin, it will be her first longest flight! Her only previous flight was from Gimpo to Jeju, which she went with her family about 5 years back. She was nervous during the take-off and held her seat armrest very tightly. 

"Sungmin, are you ok?" Kyuhyun asked with concerned. 

"I'm scared, but i'll be ok..." Sungmin said shakily. 

Kyuhyun reached out to take her hand and clasp it so that she would feel slightly better. He was thankful Heechul had given the green light for Sungmin to go with him and Heechul even asked him to teach Sungmin some Mandarin words so that she would understand some basic words. 

"I'm here, ok, so don't be scared" Kyuhyun said encouragingly and intertwined their fingers and clasp it again. He shouldn't let her sit next to the window, he knew now, but he wanted her to see the beauty of the sky, and he has no idea that she hardly fly. 

During the flight, there was some turbulence resulting in a sudden quick drop in the flight path, and Sungmin cling on to Kyuhyun's arm and put her face on his shoulder. Happy that Sungmin is getting comfortable with him, Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around Sungmin and pulled her closer, so that she wouldn't feel so scared. 

"Better?" Kyuhyun asked her, hoping that she would stay in his arm and not moved away. 

Sungmin nodded her head but didn't moved. She was really scared and though she felt shy to be in Kyuhyun's arm, she felt safe.

They arrived safely in Pudong airport and Kyuhyun retrieved both their luggages. Hers was easy to spot because it was pink in colour! 

Sungmin became the centre of attraction in SM Architects Inc  Shanghai office on their first day there, after Kyuhyun introduced her to the office staff. Most of the guys wanted to get to know her better, and kept coming over to her small desk outside Kyuhyun's office. Though they speak little Hangeul, they still tried to talk to her, until Kyuhyun has to literally pull her to sit inside his office!

"What's wrong with these guys! Tsk tsk..." Kyuhyun shook his head. He knew that Sungmin is very pretty but, "hey, common guys, she is my girlfriend!" Kyuhyun was complaining to himself. 

"Mr Cho, they don't mean any harm, maybe they never met any Korean women before.." Sungmin smilingly told him. 

Kyuhyun sat next to her "There you go again! When we are together, just call me Kyu.." Kyuhyun said, taking her hand and clasp it

"But we are at work..." 

"Min, I know that you draw a line when it comes to work. But, it's actually didn't matter to me. Not with you, I don't know why. It did matter for my previous secretaries, but not you. I want you to get use to me and get to know me, because I don't want to have any barrier between us" 

Though Sungmin didn't really like it because she still need to respect Kyuhyun, but slowly, she nodded her head. She knew where Kyuhyun is coming from, so she said with a cheeky smile "but try not to stop me from calling you Mr Cho when we are back in Daejeon office". 

Kyuhyun pinched her nose affectionately. 

As Kyuhyun needed to attend a meeting, he asked one of the staff to show Sungmin how to login to their Shanghai Office network. 

She opened up her laptop but wasn't sure what the Shanghai guy was trying to tell her on how to login. He signalled "wait" and went out, apparently trying to get somebody else.

"Annyeong, I heard you need help?" suddenly a tall guy with sharp nose, pop in, speaking in Hangeul. 

"Ohhh, hi, you are a Korean?" Sungmin asked, quite surprise that there was a Korean guy in this office. 

"No, I'm from Wuhan. My name is Zhoumi, but I can converse in Hangeul because I was in Seoul office for a few years. You are Sungmin-ssi, right?" Zhoumi was smiling brightly. 

"Annyeong, Zhoumi-ssi. I'm so sorry to trouble you, but can you show me how to login? Can I use our Daejeon office userid?" Sungmin was asking. 

"How can I turn down a pretty girl's request!! Of course I can show you" Zhoumi was still smiling ever so brightly. "Yes, you can use your Daejeon userid, I just need to change your IP address to Shanghai server node, so that you login via Shanghai office which our server will then route to Daejeon server. Give me a moment?" Zhoumi carefully took her laptop and started to do some configuration change. 

"Does Mr Cho login from here too?" Sungmin asked, wondering whether Kyuhyun encountered this issue before. 

"Kyuhyun? Yes, he always does. We have configured his laptop quite sometimes back" Zhoumi nodded, still smiling. "Ok, I've set the link" Zhoumi returned back her laptop, "When you are here, you use think link, then when you are in Daejeon, you use the default link here, ok". 

"Ahh, ok, thank you, Zhoumi-ssi" Sungmin bowed a little to thank him. "Are you from the tech team?" 

Zhoumi laughed "No, I'm one of the architect here, it's just that I learn about all these networking, so I know about all these connections". 

"I see, I'm sorry, I didn't know you are also an architect". 

"Don't worry about it. You want to try to login?" 

"Oh yes. Give me a moment" Sungmin proceed to login to Daejeon office network. She clapped her hands because it was successful! "Thank you very much, Zhoumi-ssi!"

"No problem, and you can access our Shanghai office staff email address too. Just use @sh_ and all our email ids will be displayed for you to select, if Kyuhyun needs your help to arrange a meeting".

"Thank you so much!" Sungmin smile thankfully. She wondered if Zhoumi is closed to Kyuhyun as he mentioned Kyuhyun's name so casually. 

"You are welcome. I know Kyuhyun since university days when I was on a short internship in Daejeon office. We keep in touch since then, and he was the one who recommended me to join their Seoul office after my graduation. I only transfered to this Shanghai office last year. He is a very good and brilliant architect. I learn a lot from him!" Zhoumi smiles again, and then added "You have plans for lunch?". 

"She's lunching with me... but you are welcome to join us... " suddenly Kyuhyun appeared at the door frame, smiling. 

"Heyyyy Kyuhyun!" Zhoumi got up and both of them shook hands and hugged. "Welcome back to Shanghai" 

"You were on leave the last time I was here" Kyuhyun gestured him to sit on the sofa set, while he himself sat next to Sungmin. 

"Yeah, I went back to Wuhan, to visit my sister. I'm an uncle now!! She gave birth to a baby boy!" Zhoumi laughed. 

"Wow congrats!" Kyuhyun said, and added "Uncle Zhoumi!" he mimicked a small boy's voice, making both Zhoumi and Sungmin laughed. 

"Congrats, Zhoumi-ssi" Sungmin smile to him. 

"Thank you! I don't know when is my turn. Kyuhyun, can you introduce me to a pretty girl?" Zhoumi laughed. 

"Not Sungmin, because she's taken" Kyuhyun glanced at her. 

"Aww... that guy must be so lucky" Zhoumi playfully sounded disappointed. 

"Thank you" Kyuhyun said. 

"What? You mean, it's you?? Really???" Zhoumi was surprised. 

Smiling, Kyuhyun said "Yup" and glanced at Sungmin again who was too shy to look up. "I haven't officially give her a ring yet.., but soon... " Kyuhyun nodded, still smiling. 

"You lucky brat!!" Zhoumi laughed and patted Kyuhyun's back. "Ok, see you in 10 minutes time in Conference Room" and then turning to Sungmin "See you at lunch, Sungmin-ssi" and waved at her. 

Kyuhyun laughed and turned to Sungmin. "You manage to login?" 

"Yes, I did, with Zhoumi-ssi's help" 

"Ok, great. Can you email these two drawings in this thumb drive to Shindong, and tell him to amend level 55 to the roof garden. I have indicated the changes in the master plan" Kyuhyun passed her the thumb drive. 

"Which are the two files?" Sungmin asked while writing down all the instructions. 

"There are only two files there so just download both files" 

"Alright. Do you want him to send these 2 drawings back to you after he has amended?" 

"Yes, but don't have to be today. I want them by end of day tomorrow". 

"Ok Mr Cho" 

Kyuhyun was about to get up, but he stopped and looked at Sungmin. 

"Err, you want to add another instruction to Shindong-ssi?" Sungmin looked innocently at Kyuhyun. 

"I'm not going to move until you call me Kyu" 

Realising her mistake, she quickly closed and smile cheekily. "Ok, Kyu".. 

Kyuhyun smile with satisfaction, and got up. "Don't entertain any other guys..." 

"I didn't, they were the ones who come to me... And this is not our office, how could I shoo them away? " 

"Just smile and then ignore them" Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows and smile "I go for a meeting first ok. Oh yes, the ladies toilet is on the right after you come out of here, and the pantry is next to it" he said, standing at the door and pointing to the right. When Sungmin nodded and mouthed her thanks, he smile and took his file and walked to the conference room. 

Sungmin continued to do her task. There were a lot of emails, some correspondences for the architectural submission to the authorities, some queries from Mr Park, some replies from Shindong which Kyuhyun and herself were 'cc', and there was one email on office function. 

"Ohh wow, they plan to go to Busan? That's nice. I let Kyu know later" Sungmin smile, and continued with her work.  She logged off and followed Kyuhyun's instruction to go to the ladies. Then, she went to the pantry to see if there were any paper cups. There wasn't, so she walked back to Kyuhyun's room. 

Barely five minutes later, a guy was at the door "Nǐ yào hē kāfēi ma?", and when Sungmin looked at him blankly trying to understand him, he pointed at her and gestured drinking, as though asking her if she wants coffee?

"Ahh nae, errrr... méiguānxì. Xie xie ni"  Sungmin said, recalling what Kyuhyun has thought her. 

"Méiguānxì. Wǒ bāng nǐ mǎi. La-tte?" 

"Err... thank you" Sungmin smile politely, thinking that the guy meant that he will buy for her another time. 

She was replying to Ryeowook's email who was asking whether she was doing okay there, when suddenly a hot latte was placed in front of her, and when she looked up with surprise, there was that same Shanghai office guy, with a smiling face, gesturing her to drink. 

And Kyuhyun was there at the doorway, looking annoyed. 

​​​​​​