Ep 7 - Her boss is back

Secretary Lee

There, he has say it. He guessed as much that Sungmin would be surprised. But hasn't she guess from his actions lately? Nonetheless, he knew Sungmin put their work above anything else, so whatever Sungmin feels, respecting him as her boss surpass any other feelings. 

"Let's put this aside first, ok. We'll talk about us another time" Kyuhyun started the car and drive on. "So you'll be my girlfriend for today and you call me Kyu and talk casually with me".

"I....ok, ok I will. By the way, I bake cupcakes  for your mother, she can bring them back to the hotel room" Sungmin gestured the paper bag on her lap. 

"Ohh really? Wow. I think with noona around, the cupcakes will finish at the dining table itself" Kyuhyun laughed. "Thank you, Sungmin, Omma will love them, I'm sure!" 

Sungmin smile and nodded. Then she tried "Kyu..." and Kyuhyun turned to look at her, smiling happily. Her "Kyu" sound so lovely to him. "So, do I still introduce myself as your secretary?" 

"Yeah, you are my secretary and my girlfriend" 

"Ok. Just to tell you my background in case your family ask. My family home is in Ilsan, Appa runs his own business and Omma has a cafe. Sungjin, my younger brother, is in his final year in the uni but he helps Omma now and then, and halmeoni is appa's mother". 

"I know most of it my dearest girlfriend, but thank you for letting me know. And your favourite colour is pink, and you love to bake, cook, knitting, and read books" 

"Oh, how did you know that?" 

Kyuhyun laughed "If I like that person, observation comes naturally. And also from what halmeoni told me too" and Kyuhyun parked his car in the hotel's basement carpark "Anyway, for myself, you already know that I love my work, and to destress myself, I play online games and sometines go for a drink with Changmin. Alright, we are here!" and he got out and went over to Sungmin's side to help her. 

While walking, he reached for her hand and intertwined their fingers. Sungmin felt like she couldn't breathe being so close to her boss like this. She likes him, of course, but too early to explore her feelings right now. 

To Kyuhyun, his heart is like exploding with fireworks, to be able to hold her hand was already a big step for him. He never felt this way with any of his women friend, not that he has many, but with Sungmin, it's totally different. She always touch his heart. She's somebody that he wants to protect, to make her happy, to see her smile, and to do things together. 

"Kyu!!" Ahra waved at them the minute they walked in to the cafe. Sungmin heart was racing and she hope that she do well in front of her boss family. She prayed that she didn't stutter or stumble or do anything stupid. 

Kyuhyun bowed at his parents, and introduced Sungmin. "Appa, Omma, this is Lee Sungmin, my girlfriend" and turned to Sungmin "Min, these are my parents". Sungmin bowed respectively and smile nervously "Annyeong, Mr and Mrs Cho" and then hand over her cupcakes to Mrs Cho "this is for you and family, I bake them this morning. Hope you will like them". 

"Oh my, such a sweet and pretty girl!! Annyeong Sungmin" Mrs Cho smile happily at her. She take a look at the paperbag. "Ohhh it's cupcakes!! So pretty!!" 

Ahra squeel at the cupcakes and was about to open the box when Kyuhyun chided her that the cafe might not allow customers to consume outside food, and that they have wait till they went back to their hotel room, causing Ahra to go into sulking mood. Sungmin smile at the two siblings. 

While they were talking about how Kyuhyun met Sungmin, the Seo family joined them and another rounds of introduction were done. Seo Juhyun stared at Sungmin with disgust especially after Sungmin was introduced as Kyuhyun's girlfriend. 

Though that girl was hostile, the dinner generally went well. Kyuhyun was charming towards Sungmin, always gave his attention to her, cut up her steaks, top up her water, put his arm behind Sungmin's chair and when he got a text from Ahra with a message "stop being too lovey dovey" and attached a photo  she took across the table where both of them were smiling at each other, Kyuhyun showed his tongue at her. 

Sungmin felt surreal, like she's in a fairy tale with a Prince Charming. She dare not has high hopes and kept reminding herself that maybe her boss only said he likes her for real so that she agrees to be his girlfriend for today? How about herself? Does she like her boss? She does, but respecting him surpass her own feelings. Who is she to have feelings for her boss...?

"Sungmin dear, your cardigan is very cute. Where did you buy it from?" Mrs Cho asked her, making her looked up and turned to Mrs Cho. 

"Ohh, I knitted it myself. And even this dress, I sew it myself too" 

"Oh really? Wow, you are good at everything!" 

"No, I'm not. I just find it hard to get a dress that I like or could fit me nicely. So the easiest way is to sew it myself" Sungmin smile cutely. 

Kyuhyun is actually very proud of Sungmin. She is so humble yet so passionate on what she does and she do it with her heart. He likes her even more now. She is simple and humble and honest and never boastful of what she has. He hope that his mother will like Sungmin. 

That night, Kyuhyun texted Sungmin to say that his mother and Ahra finished all the cupcakes and left only one for himself and one for his Appa. He was very angry at them, making Sungmin laughed when she read his message. She replied him "I'll bake for you another time, Mr Cho" 

"So no more 'Kyu'?" Kyuhyun replied back. 

Sungmin hesitated to reply. Then she type "I'll bake you cupcakes another time, just for you, Kyu.. " and she clicked sent before she changed her mind. 

And Kyuhyun grin from ear to ear and texted back with 3 hearts! 

The following week was a busy week at SM Architects Inc. Heechul announced in their weekly meeting that the new development project will be fronted by Kyuhyun as the main architect, and assisted by Changmin, as assistant architect. Sungmin started to be busy arranging for meetings and conference calls with various parties, including surveyors, engineers, contractors, interior designer, and the list went on and on and on.

Though busy, Sungmin was still Kyuhyun's priority. He made sure she is well informed on who to contact, have proper guidance on items that she needed to follow up, and occasionally would ask her opinion on his architectural plan. Sungmin, on the other hand, always cook extra food for her boss, knowing that he was busy and has no time to go out for lunch. She would put the heated-up lunch box and a flask of hot coffee on his desk while he was still in meetings, and when he returned to his desk, he would have a wide silly grin on his face because he got to taste Sungmin's cooking again.

He would always ensure that Sungmin had her lunch break on time, and also ensure that she went home on time. Kyuhyun has meetings till late at night, and he hate it not being able to send Sungmin home. And worst still, he needed to fly to Shanghai the following week, that means he has to be away from her for a week. He somehow hated the idea but he needed to settle things at Shanghai office, so he has to go.

That one week without her boss, made Sungmin missed him a lot. She was still busy with a lot of follow up meetings, and building plan submission to authorities, but not seeing her boss made her sad and moody.  There was once she sent a drawing to Heechul's office, and she could hear her boss' voice over a speaker, as he was on a conference call with Heechul. How she missed that voice! It wasn't that her boss didn't text her, but seeing him and hearing his voice were different from texting.  Why was she in this state and having these feelings, she wasn't sure herself! 

Her boss was due to fly back on Saturday morning, but due to weather condition, Sungmin found out that a lot of flights got rescheduled at Shanghai Pudong International Airport. Sungmin texted her boss a few times, but there wasn't any reply. She became worried and worst of all, there was a typhoon hitting Shanghai soon.

Halmeoni was out with her friends, so she was alone at home, getting worried as the morning drag on to noon. She couldn't eat and kept praying that her boss is alright.

The doorbell rang and Sungmin got up to open the door for halmeoni. In front of her wasn't halmeoni, but her dear Mr Cho!

Sungmin was so overwhelmed with relief and  happiness, that she move forward and  hugged her boss and started crying!!!

"Heyyy... what's wrong? Is everything okay??" Kyuhyun said gently and hugged her back.

"I was so worried about you when I read about the typhoon and flight rescheduling, and I didn't get your reply, so I...." Sungmin continued crying.

Kyuhyun's heart was about to burst with extreme happiness. Sungmin genuinely worried about him and being in his arms right now  just show that she really cares! Somehow that thought made him very happy. 

"I'm here and I'm ok" Kyuhyun gently assured her. He lead them in and get Sungmin to sit down. "I'm so sorry that I didn't get your message because there was no network on Pudong area due to heavy storm. My flight got rescheduled to evening, but I couldn't wait. I took another flight which did a  stopover at HK for an hour and then continued to Seoul".

Kyuhyun pull a tissue from a tissue box on the coffee table and wipe Sungmin's tears. He has this overwhelming feeling of wanting to hug her and sooth her hair but he tried to held back. The sole reason why he couldn't wait for his rescheduled flight was because he wanted to see her as soon as possible. He missed her a lot. He went for business trips a lot of times but this is the first time he felt like this. He stopped himself from calling her because hearing her voice would made him missed her more and he scared that he would just grab the first flight home just to see her!

"I'm sorry Mr Cho, I was so work up worrying about you. I must have gave you a shock at the door just now..."

Kyuhyun looked at her worried face with full of tenderness. Does it mean that she have some feelings for him? He wanted to shout for joy because that was what he has been hoping for, which is for Sungmin to like him back not because he is her boss, but because she likes him as a man.

He put his arms around Sungmin and gently pull her into his arms. "I came here from airport just see you, but when you started crying, I was worried that something bad might happened"

"I'm so sorry. It's just that i missed you a lot and..."

"Wait, what did you say? You missed me?..." Kyuhyun pulled her gently away from him for a while, scared that he heard her words wrongly.

Sungmin became shy and looked down. Gently, Kyuhyun used his fingers to tilt her chin up, to see her eyes. "You missed me?" and Kyuhyun felt like floating in the air when Sungmin nodded her head. "Oh my God, Sungmin, I thought I'm the only one who missed you to death, and that you didn't return my feelings. I thought that you only like me as your boss, and you don't have any feelings for me. Now  I know that you like me too and I'm so happy!" he smile at her lovingly, and kissed her forehead. 

"But whatever our feelings are, I'm still your secretary and you are still my boss... " Sungmin said as a matter of fact. 

"Yes, but that's work. I'm not rushing you to be in a relationship with me, but you need to tolerate with me for always wanting to be with you, to see you and showing my care towards you. I just can't help it" Kyuhyun said, and chuckled when Sungmin giggled cutely. 

"Are you hungry? Let me get you lunch. I haven't eat too" Sungmin smile at him.

"Oh yes Sungmin, this is ginseng from Shanghai. It's good for halmeoni" he passed a pack to Sungmin, and followed her to the kitchen. "Let's prepare lunch together?"

"Mr Cho, you just rest first, you must be tired from your flight"

"We are not in the office"

"I'm sorry...?"

"Don't be so formal"

"Ohhh..." Sungmin was feeling shy. "I can prepare lunch myself, Kyu, so you just rest for a while" she said, earning a wide grin from her boss.

"I still want to help. What did you cook by the way?"

"Bibimbap, since we have some beef and vegetables, and I also throw some other things in"

"Hmm, ok. Can I fry some eggs for us to eat with bibimbap?" and when she looked at him with surprise, he said "I won't burn your kitchen, I promise" and Sungmin laughed so cutely. 

They had a fun time preparing lunch together. Kyuhyun fried eggs and Sungmin heat up the hotplate and fill in the rice and top up with beef, vegetables, carrot, small prawns, small anchovies, kimchi and chilli paste. Once the eggs were ready, Kyuhyun place it on top of their bibimbap and carried the hotplates to the dining table. 

"Min, can I have a glass of warm water?"

"Sure Mr Cho.... oops I mean, sure Kyu.." and Kyuhyun laughed at her bloopers. 

Kyuhyun loved the bibimbap prepared by Sungmin. He usually don't like vegetables, but when everything were mixed, he don't taste the vegetables at all. 

Sungmin asked him about the Shanghai project, whether everything is settled. "Not really, I will need to go back there in a month's time, and maybe I want to bring you along" 

"Ohh, will Mr Kim allows? I thought only Architects will go for business trips" 

"I'll tell him I need my secretary along, else no go!" 

"Kyu..., work is work. I can't waste company's money just because we want to be together. I'm always here when you come back" 

"There are a lot of things to do in Shanghai office, Min, and I really need you to be there to help me because the next trip will be 2 weeks stay. If you are not with me, I don't think so I can survive staying there for 2 weeks without seeing you".

Sungmin noticed that her boss started to call her Min. And somehow she likes it. "I'll go only if Mr Kim give the clearance". 

One thing Kyuhyun loves about Sungmin is, she never take advantage and don't take things for granted. She is always very upright and know where she stands. 

"Ok, I will seek hyung's permission. But if you didn't want to waste company's money, why not we share a hotel room??" 

Sungmin stopped eating and looked at her boss with disbelief!

"I'm just joking...." and Kyuhyun laughed, seeing her disbelief facial expression!