Ep 6 - Birthday bash

Secretary Lee

Sungmin wrote down what she wanted to buy later at the supermarket for her grandma's cake tomorrow. She logged off from her laptop and was about to stand up to tell her boss that she would be leaving, when her boss came out from his room. 

"Sungmin, wait for me for 5 minutes? I just need to pass this to Heechul-hyung". 

"Ohh sure, I'll get my notebook" 

"No, no, not to do work. I'll send you home, so just wait for me". 

"Err... Mr Cho, I'm going to the supermarket, so I'm not ......" 

"Ok, we'll go to the supermarket then" and he walked off towards Heechul's room, with Sungmin's mouth still opened because she hasn't finished talking. 

She didn't want to trouble her boss, but it would be rude if she left without waiting for him.  So she cleaned up Kyuhyun's desk and  put everything neatly and took his coat from the hanger pole and then walked back to her desk to take her bag. Kyuhyun came back, smiling seeing her still there and holding his coat over her arm, and he quickly logoff his laptop and packed it into his haversack. 

He signalled her to get the lift and then joined her after locking his room door. 

"KimKyu! Come, join me for a drink with Mr Park!" Heechul called him while walking out of his room. 

"Ahhh hyung, sorry, I join you another time. I have somewhere to go" Kyuhyun said while walking towards the lift, with Heechul behind him. 

"Changmin is joining too, cancel your appointment, join us!" Heechul hasn't given up trying. He smile and waved at Sungmin when he saw her at the lift lobby. Sungmin bowed slightly at him and smile too. 

Sungmin looked at her boss to signal to him to proceed with Heechul. But Kyuhyun signalled back to her by slightly shaking his head to indicate he's not joining Heechul. 

Realising that Sungmin was holding Kyuhyun's jacket, Heechul smile teasingly at Kyuhyun "Ohhhhh, you two are going for a date? No wonder you ditch me, KimKyu!" 

"Hyung, it's not a date, and I didn't ditch you, I said I join you next time" Kyuhyun defended himself. 

"Alright, alright, I won't disturb both of you. Enjoy your date!" Heechul winked and waved at Sungmin. The lift opened and Kyuhyun gestured for Sungmin to go in. 

"Enjoy your drink session, hyung!" Kyuhyun waved at Heechul. 

"Brat! Enjoy your date!" Heechul said at the closing lift door. He chukled and walked back to his room. 

"Mr Cho, you should join Mr Kim. You don't have to send me..." Sungmin said softly as there were other people in the lift. 

Kyuhyun reached over to take his jacket from Sungmin's arm and so bent a bit of his body towards her, and said softly "I rather spend my time with you..." and smile cheekily at Sungmin. 

Shyly, Sungmin looked down. What did her boss mean? "He's just joking I guess" Sungmin thought to herself. Her phone buzzed, so she retrieved her message. It was from halmeoni. "Sungminnie, if you are going to the supermarket, can you buy rice too? The 1 kg please. Nishiki brand. Thank you dear". Ohh, 1kg. Ok, Sungmin thought. Somehow now she was glad that her boss is accompanying her. Else how would she carry a 1 kg rice in a subway train! 

They reached the supermarket and  Kyuhyun got a trolley for them. Sungmin told him that they need to get 1kg rice grain for her granny. As he pushed the trolley, Kyuhyun couldn't stop smiling because somehow he felt like they are  a married couple, buy groceries together, go through the list together and compare brands together. 

"Kyu!!" suddenly somebody was calling Kyuhyun while they were standing close together because Kyuhyun was comparing the ingredients of two sauces with Sungmin. He looked over his shoulder and said with surprised "Noona? When did you arrive here?!! Why didn't you call me?" 

"You didn't answer my call you brat!! I just reached here. Omma and appa is coming tomorrow. Hmm, surprised to see you at a supermarket? And this is....?" Ahra, Kyuhyun's sister, looked at Sungmin with interest. 

"Ohhh, this is Lee Sungmin" and he then turned to Sungmin and said "Sungmin, this is Ahra, my sister. My family is coming this weekend and she must be too busybody to stalk me, that's why she's here early" Kyuhyun said in a straight voice, and got a kick from his sister. "Ouch, noona!!!". 

"Annyeong, Sungmin-ssi!" 

"Annyeong, Ahra-ssi" Sungmin bowed slightly but shyly. She added "I'm Mr Cho's secretary actually". 

"Ahhhhh, I see. Interesting, because he never went out with any of his secretaries before" she raised her eyebrows, gave a teasing face and nudge her brother. 

"What? What's wrong with coming here together? I need to get something too!" 

"Oh yeah, like what?" 

"Hmmm, bread, my razor, my deodorant..." and he showed his tongue at his sister. 

"Anyway, lunch with parents are confirm this Sunday ok. And we are staying at Dunsan Graytone Hotel, coz Appa's conference is there" and then bent closer to whisper to Kyuhyun "they are introducing somebody to you, so if you didn't want to be in an arrange marriage, bring Sungmin along!"  she winked at him. "Ok, I got to go. I make payments first and then meet up with my friend! Nice to know you, Sungmin, and see you again!" Ahra waved and walked off. 

Sungmin bowed slightly and looked at her retreating figure. "Mr Cho, if your family is here tomorrow, you don't have to come to Halmeoni's birthday celebration. You should be spending your time with them".

"You didn't want me to come?" Kyuhyun fake a hurtful facial expression. 

"No, that's not what I mean...."

"Then I will come" he smile naughtily. "Anyway I can always meet my family at night and Sunday. By the way, hmmm, can you come with me to the Sunday's lunch with my family?" Kyuhyun asked, with half expectation that Sungmin would turn down his invitation. 

"Ahhh, Mr Cho, I'm an outsider. I shouldn't be in your family's lunch" Sungmin said shyly. 

"Please...?" 

Sungmin looked up to her boss with surprised. "Mr Cho..." 

"Please say yes?" 

Sungmin didn't know what to say. Who is she to be there with her boss family? She's merely their son's secretary at work. Why would her boss want to bring her along? "I... okayy Mr Cho, I will be there". 

"Yes!!!" Kyuhyun smile happily. He wanted to hug her for agreeing to save his life! Maybe one day he will explain to her the actual reason and maybe one day too, he hope that he could really introduce her as his someone special!. But now it's too early to say out what is in his heart. 

Unknown to them, Ahra had actually snapped some photos of them standing close together, talking and laughing, before she called out Kyuhyun's name in that supermarket. She sent to her parents and texted, "Omma and appa, looks like you don't need to introduce Kyu with Appa's friend's daughter. He has someone already and she is very pretty!!! I've asked him to bring her along this Sunday!" 

Mrs Cho replied back "Ohh he has someone?!! Thank you Lord!! I can't wait for this Sunday then!" and she clicked sent. They were driving home and she turned to her husband "Dear, guess what? Kyu has someone already! And he's bringing her to our lunch this Sunday!!!" she was practically clapping her hands!! 

"Really?! But I've already told Mr Seo about our lunch in Daejeon. Not so nice if we cancel it since his whole family will be in Daejeon too". 

"Ohh...." Mrs Cho couldn't think what to say now. "I saw Seo Juhyun before and I do like her. But since Kyu has someone that he likes, I want to see who is this girl. But you didn't tell Mr Seo that we wanted our kids to get to know each other, did you?" she look enquiringly at her husband. 

"No, I didn't tell him. I just told him why not we have lunch together since all our families will be there" Mr Cho said.

"Ok then, we just introduce the girl as Kyu's girlfriend" Mrs Cho smile happily. 

It was raining when Kyuhyun reached halmeoni's house on Saturday afternoon. He brought along wine without alcohol, Pierre Zero, to respect halmeoni's age. 

"Happy birthday, halmeoni!! Wish you all the best with many happy returns" Kyuhyun greeted her at the doorstep. 

"Mr Cho, please come in. Oh my, I should ask Sungminnie to bring an umbrella to shelter you from your car. You are wet!" halmeoni fuss about her handsome visitor, eventhough he told her don't worry about it. She called out "Sungminnie, bring a clean face towel". 

Sungmin emerged from the kitchen and greet her boss and passed him the towel. Concerned that he was wet, she asked "Mr Cho, would you like to change to another teeshirt? I can dry your polo tee" 

"It's okay, I didn't bring an extra teeshirt anyway" Kyuhyun smile. 

"No, you will catch a cold. Come with me" Sungmin pulled him towards the staircase and into a bedroom. "Can you wait a while, I get you a change of clothing" and she went out to another bedroom. 

Kyuhyun looked around and realised that this is Sungmin's bedroom. It smells of her! He dry his hair while walking around towards the bathroom. 

"Mr Cho, here, you can change to these. They belongs to appa, he left some clothings here whenever he visited halmeoni" Sungmin shyly passed to him in her bathroom. 

"I smell of you everywhere" he said teasingly. "Thank you, I'll pass my polo tee and pants to you" Kyuhyun said while removing his polo tee. 

Sungmin quickly looked away. Her boss has a decently muscular body, but was that a scar that she saw before she turned away?  But she dare not look again.  Kyuhyun chuckled and said "I'm sorry, I'll close the door". 

Sungmin put Kyuhyun clothing in the dryer and collided with him as she turned towards the dining room. "Ohh Mr Cho, I'm so sorry" 

Kyuhyun caught her to steady her. At close proximity, he could really see how beautiful she is, even without make-ups. Really beautiful. His silly heart missed a few heartbeats. He said gently "It's okay. Ohh, I brought wine, do you have wine glasses?" 

"Yes, it's in that cupboard. I'll get them". 

"No, no, I can get them. You bring out the cake, I join you after I wash the glasses" 

It turned out that not only Sungmin baked a cake, she also bake apple pie, and meringue. Kyuhyun whistled when he saw the mouth-watering desserts. 

Halmeoni walked in to the dining room. "Ohh you've bring out the wine glasses. How nice of you, Mr Cho!" 

"Halmeoni, just call me Kyuhyun" Kyuhyun smile assuringly at her. 

"I shouldn't. You are Sungminnie's boss" 

"It's really ok, please, just call me Kyuhyun". 

"Virtuous, worthy, and good" 

"I'm sorry?" 

"Your name, it means 'virtuous, worthy, good' and I really like your name" 

"Ohh really, that's what my name means?" 

"Yes, your mother has chosen a good name" halmeoni smile and nodding her head. "And Sungminie's name means 'diligent and charismatic'. You two match perfectly well!" 

"Halmeoni...., what are you talking about...." Sungmin said shyly. 

"Yes I think we are a perfect match, Sungmin" Kyuhyun smile teasingly at her, laughing to Sungmin's cute shyness. "Oh yes, halmeoni, is it okay if I bring Sungmin along for my family lunch tomorrow?" 

"Of course you can, please bring her along! She always just stay at home and read or knit or baking. She needs to have some social life!" 

"Halmeoni... I go out to eat too. I don't always stay at home..." 

"Yes yes, but do go along with Mr Cho. You need to get to know people". 

Turning to Sungmin, Kyuhyun said with a reassuring voice "Don't worry too much, my mum is extremely nice. Think she will love you to death.." he chuckled. 

They had an enjoyable birthday bash for halmeoni and Kyuhyun only left after repeated calls from Ahra.  "I'll pick you up at 11.30am ok. Just wear anything smart casual" he smile and waved and left. 

The whole Sunday morning, Sungmin was feeling apprehension about the lunch. To calm herself, she bake cupcakes and decorate them with beautiful icing and packed some for Kyuhyun's mother. She kept some for halmeoni and herself. 

Kyuhyun was on time, and was happy that Sungmin was already waiting for him. He waved at halmeoni and gestured Sungmin to get in the car. "You look very beautiful" he complemented her honestly. Indeed, Sungmin is very pretty with her cute white dress and pink knitted mini cardigan, with a cute bow tying the cardigan. Her hair was let loose, with curls at the lower end, and even with little makeup, she looks very very beautiful. 

"Thank you Mr Cho" Sungmin smile sweetly, making Kyuhyun's heart missed a few beats. 

Kyuhyun think that this is a good time to tell her what's going on. "Sungmin, I... ermmm.. actually I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend for today, so we have to practice to be casual with each other and you have to call me Kyu"

"What...?"

"I'm sorry coz I didn't tell you earlier, but Ahra noona actually took photos of us in that supermarket and now Omma is looking forward to meet you." 

"But Mr Cho..." 

"Call me Kyu..." 

Sungmin looked at him blankly. How could she be rude to her boss by calling him by his 1st name? "Mr Cho... I...." 

"Please? Else they will match-make me with Appa's friend's daughter and I will end up in an arranged marriage"

"You haven't met the girl. Maybe you will like her..." 

"No, because I like somebody else" he said, looking directly at her. 

"Ohh...I see. Then why didn't you bring her along instead? I mean, it make more sense to introduce her" 

"Who..?" Kyuhyun didn't quite get her. 

Sungmin looked at him confusedly "You said you like somebody else?"

"Yes, I do. And she's here with me" 

Sungmin looked more confused, but then, slowly, her boss' words slowly sinked in. 

She closed and looked at him with a surprised expression!