Ep 12 - At Ilsan

Secretary Lee


It was a lovely Saturday early morning when Kyuhyun fetched both Sungmin and halmeoni. Since she also missed her son and family, halmeoni had agreed to come along too. She really hope that her son would accept Kyuhyun, as she finds that he is a reliable, responsible, handsome, earning a good salary and with excellent mannerism. She enjoyed his company and hope to see them got married before she closed her eyes.

They had a great dinner last night, laughing at Kyuhyun who eventually burst out laughing too after he knew that they were kidding him, and reached to over to kiss Sungmin to 'teach her a lesson' for laughing at him! And that was when Kyuhyun asked halmeoni whether she wants to come along to go to Sungmin's family home in Ilsan, and she happily accepted it!! 

Once Kyuhyun had sent them home last night, halmeoni hurried indoor to give the lovebirds some time together, and true enough, when she peeked at the slightly openned door, they were kissing, with both Kyuhyun's hands were on Sungmin's face. She smile triumphantly and felt very happy and contended to be able to see that her favourite granddaughter was blissfully happy. 

"Halmeoni, we stop over at the next rest stop for breakfast ok. They sell delicious nutella pie here, and I want to get 2 boxes for Sungmin's parents" Kyuhyun glance over at Sungmin, smiling. 

"Ohh they have nutella pie? Wow, I want to try!!" Sungmin said happily. 

"Last Spring, they even have sakura strawberry pie! Taste nice but too sweet. The nutella pie is more chocolaty, so I still prefer the nutella pie" Kyuhyun said while exiting the highway and driving towards the rest area. 

"Sungminnie, you should try baking it for Kyu" halmeoni said, teasing her granddaughter. Sungmin has asked halmeoni to sit at the passenger sit, but knowing that Kyuhyun would prefer Sungmin to sit next to him, halmeoni declined the offer and sat at the backseat. It was more comfortable here anyway, as it was more spacious. 

They left the car and walked into the cutely decorated cafe. Sungmin ran to the dessert display area because the cakes and desserts look so alluring. How could an out of no where cafe carries a variety of mouth warring desserts??? And English desserts!!! There were artic roll, triffle, bread and butter pudding, cupcakes, bakewell tart, lemon meringue, apple pie, nutella pie, cheesecake, sticky toffee pudding, black forest, custard tarts and a few more which she didn't know what they were called! 

"Heyyy princess, what would you like to try? You can't eat all, so you have to choose" Kyuhyun said teasingly. 

 "Kyu, there are sooooo many lovely dessert!! What is this place? How come they have all these wonderful desserts?" Sungmin said with surprise.

"The owners are young couple actually and they have great business vision. And having a cafe along the highway has a plus point, because most people will drop by to rest. And guess what? Most desserts will be gone by afternoon! They are really good. Hmmm, you choose what you and halmeoni want to eat here, the rest I can pick and pack back together with the nutella pies"

Sungmin clapped her hands happily and signalled to the lady behind the counter. She asked for 3 plates, and carefully selected the desserts based on what she knows what Kyuhyun likes and what halmeoni likes. She then asked for a box and chose what she would want her mum and brother to try. Then she joined Kyuhyun at the counter and took out her wallet to pay, which of course Kyuhyun brushed her hand aside, and asked her to sit and accompany halmeoni. 

"Okay, these 2 boxes are the nutella pies, this box is what your wife ordered, and these 3 plates are for dining here. What drinks would you like? Your wife seemed to like sweet things, so may I recommend our caramel latte? Your grandmother-in-law can have oolong tea" the lady smile while gesturing to him the drinks menu. 

Kyuhyun loved it when she referred Sungmin as "your wife". Yes! My wife!!! I can't wait for the day that Sungmin becomes my wife!!! Kyuhyun smile to himself.  "Ok I will follow your recommendation" he smile and paid for all their orders. 

The food were very tasty and they left the rest area with satisfying look on their faces. When Kyuhyun realised that halmeoni was asleep, he reached over and held Sungmin's hand. 

"Mr Cho, concentrate on your driving.." Sungmin said, smiling. 

"I've been wanting to hold your hand since this morning" Kyuhyun smile. "Now I have more confidence to meet your parents" he said, referring to their holding hands which gave him an energy booster. 

They reached Ilsan about an hour later. Kyuhyun was feeling okay but as soon as he helped halmeoni to walk towards the front door, became nervous again. He secretly took a few deep breath and tred to calm himself down. He has been in several big meetings with overseas clients and even did presentations to European architects, but he wasn't as nervous as today. He just couldn't understand himself! Asking for his woman's hand was so nerve wrecking!!! 

"Kyuhyun, welcome to my son's house. Don't be nervous" halmeoni patted his hand, knowing that he might be nervous. Kyuhyun nodded and smile at her. Sungmin walked ahead of them and before she reached her door porch, the door was already opened. 

"Eomma!!!!" Sungmin hugged her mother. Both mother and daughter was hugging and laughing as they missed each other. Mrs Lee bowed to her mother-in-law and smile to the handsome gentleman. 

"This must be Mr Cho?" she said, C smiling "Please come in, please come in" she said while helping her mother-in-law to remove her shoes and got a pair of indoor slippers. 

Sungmin gestured Kyuhyun to come in and introduced him to her mother officially. "Eomma, this is Cho Kyuhyun. Kyu, this is my mum". 

Kyuhyun bowed respectfully to Mrs Lee and then looked up when he saw Mr Lee was approaching them. Sungmin hugged her father and he patted her back, and then he stepped forward to hug his mother. After her dad hugged halmeoni, Sungmin then pulled her father towards Kyuhyun. "Appa, this is Cho Kyuhyun, Kyu, this is my dad" 

Kyuhyun bowed respectfully towards Mr Lee and Mr Lee gestured him to sit. Sungmin and halmeoni brought the food to the kitchen and helped her mother to prepare drinks. 

"Mr Cho is so handsome! So, he is your boss?" Mrs Lee asked Sungmin. 

"Yes, eomma, and in the office, I am still his secretary, and I respect him as a boss".

"He is such a nice gentleman, you know.  He loves Sungmin very much and will always seek my permission to bring her out. Such a fine young man" halmeoni added in. 

"I agree, Ommoni. By his sincere look, I can tell that he is somebody that we can trust and respectful towards the elders. Sungminnie is so lucky to have him as a husband!" 

"Ahhh, eomma...." Sungmin said shyly. "Where is Sungjinnie?" she changed the topic as she was getting ambarassed. 

"He went out with his friends. You should scold him, Sungminnie! He is hardly at home nowadays. I only see his face when he's sleeping". 

"Eomma, he is in his final year. Maybe he has discussion with his friends, that's why he is hardly at home.." 

"I think so" Mrs Lee sighed and arranged the drinks and apple pies on a tray, and gestured for Sungmin to bring it over to their living room. "Ommoni, let's go to the living room" Mrs Lee held her mother-in-law's arm and smile warmly at her. 

The two guys were talking about some architectural and buildings and Kyuhyun was describing some feature of the newly built building in Insadong, which his Seoul office was the primary architect and planner. 

Sungmin placed the drinks and apple pies on the table, and then sat next to Kyuhyun, earning a happy smile from him. 

They continued talking and Mrs Lee scooped an apple pie onto a small plate and served Kyuhyun. 

"Wow, now I know where Sungmin learn to bake delicious apple pie!!" Kyuhyun said, after trying the mouth-watering pie. It is as good as Sungmin's, but better as the crust is crunchier, however the apple filling is sweeter. He preferred Sungmin's version, but of course he must praise the one baked by Mrs Lee! 

After a while, Kyuhyun braved himself and started to talk about the main purpose of his visit. "Mr and Mrs Lee, my purpose of coming here is to officially ask for Sungmin's hand. I love her very much and I would like her to be my wife. I seek your approval and to give us your blessings for our marriage" and he bowed slightly as a gesture of respect. 

Mr Lee was actually very impressed with Kyuhyun and was happy that he hold a good job and loves his daughter. But instead he said "My daughter is very precious to me, and I heard that you once scolded her and made her cry. How do I ensure that you will not make her cry again?" 

"Appa, why did you bring that incident up?.." Sungmin said to her father, but his looked shut her up. She got it that her father was just testing Kyuhyun. 

But Kyuhyun did not see the two exchange look between father and daughter. Kyuhyun looked up and looked apologetically to Mr Lee "I am so sorry about that incident. It was my fault for lashing out at Sungmin and didn't wait to listen to her explanation. Only after the head of architect told me what actually happened, then I knew I had made a big mistake. When it comes to my work, I am a perfectionist and usually will calculate all the risk in terms of building safety, so a last minute addition might jeopardise the finalised gross area. I felt bad for scolding Sungmin and I am so sorry about that". 

"How can I be sure that you will not lash out at her again? What if she made mistakes and mess up your work?" Mr Lee continued to "torture" Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun replied seriously "I will not repeat the same mistake. I will give her a chance to explain and I will investigate the matter thoroughly. Trust me, Mr Lee, I love Sungmin and adore her. I will take good care of her, love her and be a good husband forever" Kyuhyun said while holding Sungmin's hand. He continued "Please give us your blessings".

Mrs Lee looked at her husband, waiting for him to give his blessing. But Mr Lee got up and walked towards their window instead. He kept quiet and purposely delayed his response...