Ep 2 - The boss

Secretary Lee


"Halmeoni!!!" Sungmin waved at her grandmother once she had stepped down from the express bus. Laughing happily, her grandma waved back from her seat at the waiting area.

Sungmin practically ran to her once she has retrieved her luggage, and they were hugging happily. "I missed you so much halmeoni!!! And thank you for allowing me to stay with you!!"

"Of course dear, I am more than glad!!! And congratulations for getting that secretary job!! I heard they are quite a reputable company!! I'm so happy for you!!"

"I hope I can do well too, halmeoni!! Oh yes, appa and omma send their regards to you. And Sungjinnie asked me to hug you on his behalf" Sungmin said with her cute laughter and hugged her grandma on Sungjin's behalf. Both of them laughed happily.

"Come, let's go. But don't laugh at my car, it's small and old, but still functioning" old Mrs Lee said smiling.

"Halmeoni, you are still driving? Appa already said you shouldn't drive anymore" Sungmin followed her grandma to the parking lot. 

"I am fine. Your appa just worried for nothing. Put your luggage in the boot, Sungminnie, and your handcarries at the backseat. Sen's boot is too small to put everything".

"Sen?" 

"Haha, it's her name" old Mrs Lee was pointing to the car.

"Oh that's cute!! You even name your car with a cute name!!" Sungmin laughed, and got into the passenger seat after she managed to squeeze her big luggage into Sen's boot. 

Along the way, they talked to catch up on family stories and halmeoni also pointed out to Sungmin some popular buildings along the way. 

Suddenly at one junction, she nearly collided with a white Mercedes benz who did an emergency brake. The driver must be very angry because he honked his car and got out and walked over angrily. 

"What the hell....." the driver started shouting. 

Halmeoni got out too, to apologise. "I'm so sorry sir, I was showing places of interest to my granddaughter and didn't realise I took a wrong turn. I'm so sorry again...". 

The driver didn't finish up his sentence when he saw that the other car was an old woman.  Though he still looked angry with both his hands on his hips, he didn't say anything. Looks like he was trying not to burst out. 

Sungmin got out too to help her grandma. She was shocked of the sudden near-collision and the loud honked, but luckily she recovered and felt that she needed to apologise too. 

"Please forgive my grandmother sir. It was my fault, I was asking her what was that building, and she turned her head to look, before explaining to me". 

Looking at her, the driver seemed to mellow down. "It's alright. It was, sheer luck that I managed to stop in time. Are you two okay? I'm sorry too that I honked my car. It must have startled you" the driver said, seeing how pale Sungmin's face had become. 

"I'm okay sir, but please, do accept our apologies. 

The driver nodded, and then said "I think you should drive instead. Let your grandma rest. Looks like she is still in a shock" the driver gestured politely at her grandma.

"Ahh yes, ok, thank you sir" Sungmin gave a bow.

The driver nodded and bowed at old Mrs Lee, and then nodded and gave a slight smile at Sungmin, before turning to walk back at his car.

Sungmin guided her grandma to the passenger seat, and then took over the wheel.

"Such a fine young man! Although he drives an expensive car, he is still polite and accommodating" old Mrs Lee commented.

"Maybe he just being respectful towards you, halmeoni. Had it been me who drives just now, I am sure he would have scolded me"

"I don't think so, Sungminnie. I think he respected women. And he is very handsome too. So tall and handsome. You two should exchange phone numbers"

"Halmeoni!! I don't even have Daejeon's number yet..." Sungmin said shyly. Indeed, the driver was tall, handsome and polite. He must a high ranked officer, or from a rich family. But anyway, unlikely that she would meet him again, so no point talking about him.

Kyuhyun drove off after climbing back into his car. He wanted to scold the other driver, but he just couldn't. How could he, when the driver is an old woman. And that granddaughter of hers, wow, so pretty!

"Aishhh, what am I thinking?!! I won't meet her or her grandmother anymore, no point thinking about her" Kyuhyun scolded himself.

He was on his way back to his home after dropping by his office on a Saturday. He came back to work for a bit and to tidy up his desk, because his 'new secretary' will start her work on Monday. He didn't know why he did that, like tidy up his desk, maybe to give his secretary a good impression of him? He couldn't comprehend himself. He concluded that he just want to enforce his authority, that he is her boss and for her to fulfil her duty properly. Yes, that must be it.

Kyuhyun continued driving but couldn't help thinking about that granddaughter. She seemed familiar, but he couldn't remember where he saw her. 

Sungmin cooked fried rice on Monday morning to pack for her lunch. Being new in this area, she reckon she wouldn't know where to buy lunch. Halmeoni told her not to keep some for her, as she would be having lunch with her friends. 

Following her Google map, she managed to reach her office on time. She was supposed to see 'Ms Yoon-Ah" from HR team, and then head of Daejeon office, Mr Kim Heechul, before she finally supposed to meet her future boss, Mr Cho Kyuhyun. 

"Welcome to SM Architects, Ms Lee Sungmin!" Ms Yoon-Ah greeted her. She was a beautiful lady, simple yet elegant. She briefed Sungmin on company policies, annual leave rule, operating hours, dress code and a summary of what the company has achieved and that they have constant connection with their head office at Seoul, as well as other branches. 

Sungmin was brought to Heechul's office next. She was surprised that Heechul, as Head of Daejeon branch, was so young. "Welcome to our company, Ms Lee Sungmin!! I'm Heechul. Take a seat" Heechul smile warmly and gestured her to sit. 

"Good morning, Mr Kim" Sungmin bowed respectfully and slowly sat down. 

Heechul gave some more insights on what they are doing, and more specifically on what her job role would be. And whenever possible, she should plan her annual leave at the same time when her boss is on leave, so that she would be around when he is in the office. However, for normal or emergency leave, she could take any day, as long as her boss was informed. 

Sungmin replied that she understood, and thanked Heechul for the summary. It really helped her to understand what she should do to perform her duties more effectively. Heechul's secretary, Ms Kim Ryeowook, was asked to bring Sungmin to tour the company, and she was shown where the pantry was, to the toilets, to meeting rooms, where the plotter and printers were, the compactus where they filed and kept all their architectural drawings, and Ms Ryeowook also introduced her to the drafting staffs. 

Sungmin was introduced to the ever smiling Lee Donghae, Kim Jongwoon, Shinn Donghee, and a few more, as well as the other company's architect, Mr Shim Changmin, and his secretary, Ms Jessica Jung. 

Lastly, she was shown to her boss room, and where her desk was. She was told that her boss, Mr Cho Kyuhyun, has an early meeting with a client, and would be in later at 10am. She was also shown how to operate the phone, especially to transfer calls to her boss, as well as how to login to their company's network in the laptop. 

She bowed and thanked Ms Ryeowook and kept her handbag in a drawer. She was thankful that her boss was not in yet, so that she could familiarise herself with the office network, how to book meeting rooms, checked his meeting schedules, where he kept his things and what would be today's schedules. 

She noticed that there was a note for her from her boss on her in-tray, to make a copy of some documents which he placed on his desk, and to schedule two meetings for him. The clients' number and email addresses were in a bowl on his desk. 

"A bowl?" Sungmin glanced confusedly towards her boss' office. She walked in and could smell his perfume. His table was a bit messy, so while retrieving the documents, she tidy up the paper piles, placed his cup on the coaster, and put his pen and ruler neatly next to his laptop. She then saw the bowl. "Ohhh, a glass bowl. Ok but how do I know which name card to take?" Sungmin wondered. 

She walked back to her desk and read the instructions again. Her boss did indicate 2 names, and walking back to the bowl, she searched for the two name cards. "Ahhh, found it!!" Sungmin smile, and walked back to her desk. 

"Sungmin-ssi, here is your staff pass, lanyard, user-id and password to login to our system" Ms Yoon-Ah appeared at the doorway.

"Ohh thank you!" Sungmin bowed and took the items from Ms Yoon-Ah's hand.

"Come, let me show you how to login and changed your password. After that, you can go to our company's email and access Kyuhyun's calender. Kyuhyun will receive alert if you update his calender because our mobile phone are all linked to our company's network. I am arranging yours, now that I have your mobile number, so once it is link, I will let you know ok" Ms Yoon-Ah told her while showing her how to login.

By 9.30am, Sungmin has managed to access her email, check her boss' calender, managed to call the 2 clients to secure the meeting slots, and now was trying to update his calender. Somehow, the entry just couldn't be saved. 

"Ms Lee Sungmin?" suddenly a voice sounded in front of her desk. Startled, she looked up while  staggered to stand. She was about to bow when realisation hit her. 

"Ohh sir, you are the one we met at the road junction. You are here to see Mr Cho?" Sungmin said with surprised. 

"Ohh, you are that granddaughter. So you are Ms Lee Sungmin" Kyuhyun smile. Somehow, he was glad that she is his secretary. "I'm Cho Kyuhyun actually". 

Surprised, Sungmin closed . She never expected him to be so young, and never thought that the handsome guy which nearly collided with their car, is her boss!! She bowed respectfully and said "I'm so sorry Mr Cho, I didn't know who you are. I'm so sorry". 

"It's okay. How is your grandmother?" 

"She is fine, thank you, Mr Cho. Errr, do you want any coffee or tea?" 

"Yes, black, very little sugar, thank you. Have you make copies of the documents?". 

"Yes Mr Cho, it's on your desk, and I've arranged for the meetings too". 

"Good, thank you" Kyuhyun walked to his desk to take his mug, and passed it to Sungmin. "Once you have make the coffee, can you come to my room?". 

"Sure, Mr Cho" Sungmin bowed, took the mug and walked towards the pantry. 

After she had washed the mug, she started looking for the coffee powder, when somebody walked in. 

"Hi, Sungmin-ssi, right? Are you looking for something?" the ever smiling Donghae was smiling at her. 

"Ohh, Donghae-ssi, right? I was looking for the coffee powder" 

"Coffee powder? Just use this coffee machine. Let me show you. For Mr Cho?" Donghae asked, and when Sungmin nodded, he showed Sungmin how to press the black coffee and where to place the mug at the machine. "You have to press two times to fill up the mug, then you just add sugar from this container here" Donghae gestured the sugar canister nearby. 

"Thank you so much Donghae-ssi!!" Sungmin bowed, and smile at him. 

"No problem. Just call me Donghae. And you can just approach me or any of us if you got problem with your work ok? Don't be shy!" Donghae took an orange juice from the fridge, winked his eye and waved, before leaving the pantry. 

Sungmin felt grateful people in this office are nice to her. She washed her hand, took the mug and quickly walked back to Mr Cho's office. 

"Here's your coffee Mr Cho. I hope I made it right" 

"Thanks" he sipped his coffee and said "Just nice" he said. Sungmin nearly jumping with happiness. 

"Ms Lee, you mentioned that you have arrange the meetings, but I didn't see them in my calender" 

"I'm so sorry Mr Cho, I was trying to add into your calender but I just couldn't get it to save. I will get help from Ryeowook-ssi and update it". 

"Can't get it to save? Can you show me how you add?" 

"Ohh sure" Sungmin said nervously, because she scared that she has done it wrongly and causing Mr Cho inconvenience. She walked back to her laptop to show to her boss. She was thinking to bring her laptop over, but Kyuhyun was actually following her! 

She got a shock when Kyuhyun's voice was next to her "Just show me how you do it. I think you didn't log in to our network".

She sat down, and unlocked the screen saver. She showed him what she was trying to do, and to her surprised, Kyuhyun stretched his body to type something at her laptop, practically in front of her!! 

She could smell his wonderful perfume, and she tried hard not to admire his body and moved slightly so that she could see her screen. 

"See, I think you logged out after you had changed your password. So when you are offline, the calender will not allow you to update or sync with our emails". 

"Ohhh yes, I did log out. Let me log in again and try. Thank you very much Mr Cho" Sungmin gestured a bow, but Kyuhyun didn't move. 

"You do it and I see" he smile. Ohh that smile... she could just stare and be mesmerised and dazzled by that smile... but err, no, no, she has to work. 

Luckily for her, she subdued her nervousness and managed to complete her task. She thanked God for that. 

"Great!" Kyuhyun smile again at her. "Bring a notebook and come in to my office" Kyuhyun proceeded to walk back to his desk. 

Sungmin panic as she don't have a notebook. Then she remembered her diary in her bag. "Aishhh, I just use my diary for today" and  grabbed it from her bag. 

She sat at the seat opposite Kyuhyun's desk, opened her diary to a clean page, and got ready to write. But realising that her boss was quiet, she glanced up at him. He was staring at her diary! 

"I... I'm sorry Mr Cho, I don't have a notebook yet. I will buy it tonight..., so.. so.. I'll just use this for today" 

What Kyuhyun saw was, a picture of his car! It was on the left page of Sungmin's diary, probably taken after he walked back to his car after that near-collision. So, she was also thinking of him after that incident? Hmmmmm... 

Sungmin just realised what her boss was looking at. On the left page of her openned diary, was a photo of Mr Cho's car with him getting in! That day, she had wanted to snap a photo of him, but she was too slow, so by the time her phone was ready, he had walked back and entered his car. She had bring along her portable printer to Daejeon, so she had printed that photo as a memory of that near-collision, and of course to remember his handsome face. 

Sungmin began to feel embarrassed and shy as she was caught red-handed. She just wished that the floor could open up and she jumped inside, away from Mr Cho...!!!