Ep 13 - On attachment

Secretary Lee


"You have our blessings" Mr Lee finally said after a torturing 15 minutes of silence. Kyuhyun looked up and turned to Sungmin, who smile happily at him.

"Thank you, Mr Lee! Mrs Lee and halmeoni too" Kyuhyun bowed respectfully.

Mrs Lee and halmeoni clapped their hands and laughed. Kyuhyun took a deep breath and let it out to relieve his strees, and laughed too. He never expected it would be so stressful to ask for a girl's hand!!

"Come, let's eat!!" Mrs Lee gestured everyone to the dining table and they continued talking about Daejeon and the development around there. Sungjin came home while they were having tea, and he was introduced to Kyuhyun. He teased his sister endlessly until he was chased up to his room! 

It was a busy month for SM Architect due to the big project that Kyuhyun and Changmin were handling. A junior architect, Victoria Song, who had just joined their Shanghai office, was also here on attachment, to assist with the project, in particularly to help Kyuhyun to liaise with China authorities on building regulations. She was flown in from their Shanghai office and she was chosen instead of Zhoumi as Zhoumi was busy handling another project. 

However, she was very arrogant and  always breathing down Sungmin's neck. She treated Sungmin like her personal assistant and asked her to do a lot of things for her, whenever Kyuhyun was out attending external meetings. Sungmin wanted to complain to Kyuhyun, but then again, she didn't want to severe the good working relationship between Kyuhyun and Victoria, so she just swallowed and kept quiet. 

Victoria was jealous because Kyuhyun and Sungmin were always so close, and they always came together in the morning. And in the evenings, if the architects were having meetings till late evenings, Kyuhyun would announced a 10 minutes break just to see Sungmin before she went off. Of course everybody else knew that Kyuhyun and Sungmin were engaged, and that Kyuhyun put Sungmin's safety above anything else, but Victoria didn't know that!

"Kyuhyun-ssi, can you pick me up tomorrow morning? Since we finished meeting this late, I might not be able to wake up early tomorrow morning" Victoria tried to sound seductive. She had purposely stayed behind after Kyuhyun ended their meeting. 

"You can call Uber, and charge it to company's card. I can get a card for you now, from Heechul hyung" Kyuhyun smile and walked out. 

Running after Kyuhyun, Victoria said "Ohh but can't you pick me up? My hotel is on the way to this office..." 

"Sorry, I need to go off. Just give me 5 minutes, I get the card for you" Kyuhyun walked towards Heechul's office. 

Victoria became angry. She knew that Kyuhyun always picked Sungmin up every morning. Why was that woman always Kyuhyun's priority??? She stomped off to her temporary desk and sat down angrily. 

Few minutes later, Kyuhyun put the company's card on her temporary desk.  "Here it is, just charged anything to this card. It's easier than you paid first, and claim it later like what you are doing now. Ok I got to go. See you!" and Kyuhyun walked off to his room and packed and went off. 

So her plan fail. She folded her arms and sat back. She had learnt Hangeul so that she could communicate effectively with Kyuhyun in the hope that she could get him to be her boyfriend. She had seen Kyuhyun twice during meetings with regional architects  and he was the reason why she has decided to join SM Architect Shanghai office. 

Victoria thought angrily to herself "I must teach that stupid secretary some manners so that she knows where she stands! She is just a secretary! And don't think that just because she is Kyuhyun's secretary, she can act big and think highly of herself!". 

Sungmin ran to the door when the doorbell rang. "Kyu!!" and found herself being pull into Kyuhyun’s arms. 

"I'm so sorry I couldn't send you home again. The meeting just ended". 

"Kyu, it's okay, I told you I can always go home with Ryeowook. She took the subway too. Come in, dinner is ready" and she took Kyuhyun's haversack and put it on the sofa. 

"Where's halmeoni?" Kyuhyun went to the kitchen to wash his hands. 

"It's her friend's birthday, so she and her other friends went out for dinner" Sungmin said while standing besides Kyuhyun once he has seated down, to scoop rice for him. 

"Ahh, so we are all alone..." Kyuhyun smile naughtily. Whenever he is busy, he would always missed Sungmin and need to hug her to recharge himself. He pulled her onto his lap the minute she put down his bowl. 

"Kyu!" 

"I missed you! Stay still for while, I just want to hug you" he hugged her from behind and smell her freshly-shampooed hair. 

"But you haven't had your dinner..." 

"Just a while. I need to recharge.." and he tightened his hug. "By the way Min, you are hiding something from me..." 

"Hmmmm?" 

"Victoria has been treating you badly but you just swallowed it and didn't want to tell me..." 

Sungmin was surprised that Kyuhyun knew about it. She turned  her body and wanted to climb down but Kyuhyun held her tightly.

"How... how did you know?.." 

Kyuhyun let her climbed down but only to turn her around and pull her back onto his lap, now facing him. 

"Heechul-hyung has been observing her and told me about it. He didn't want to walk right to her and tell her off, because he wanted to tell me first. You didn't want to tell me because she's working with me for this project?" 

"Yes, and I'm sorry that..." 

He kissed her lips and said "Don't be sorry. I know you are a kind person and you are mindful that she's working with me, but she has overstep her boundary. I guess because she didn't know about our relationship, so tomorrow I will make it clear to her that whatever she wants you to do, to go through me first, and and I will also tell her about us".

Sungmin looked down "I just want to do my work and not to cause anyone any trouble..." 

"I know, but she has no right to make use of you to do things for her, and especially when I'm not in the office.." 

"I'm sorry..." 

Kyuhyun lifted up her face and kissed her again. "You are still scared of me... how do I remove this part so that there's no more barrier between us..?" 

"Kyu, you are still my boss. I still have to respect you and obey you..." 

"I'm okay with that but don't be scared of me and do tell me if anybody treat you unfairly. I'll protect you at all cost"

"Ok I will. I promise you that I will tell you everything.." 

Kyuhyun smile. He pulled her face for a kiss again and poured his heart into his kiss. He hugged her again and they stayed like that for a while. He felt so blissed having her in his arms like this. He wished that he can hug her like this everyday. 

"Kyu, let's eat. It will get cold..." 

Kyuhyun chuckled "Okayy, I'm a bit recharge now.  Let's eat..." and he helped her to get down from his lap. 

The architects have morning meetings every Friday, so after Kyuhyun and Sungmin arrived, Kyuhyun noticed that Victoria was staring at them, so he purposely kissed Sungmin in front of her, and then smile at Sungmin and went into his room. 

Sungmin was busy at her desk, and then was about to walk to the pantry to make coffee for Kyuhyun when Victoria stood in front of her. 

"Good morning Miss Song" Sungmin greeted her politely. 

"Please get me coffee too" and she pushed her mug to Sungmin and turned back to her desk. 

Sungmin continued to walk to the pantry and make the drinks. She didn't know Victoria's preference but she did noticed that she normally bought latte from Starbucks. "But I remember she said coffee. So should be white coffee and not black coffee, right" Sungmin said to herself, adding milk to Victoria's coffee. For Kyuhyun, of course she knows his preference. 

She placed Victoria's coffee on her temporary desk, bowed slightly at Victoria who was reading something, and then walked to Kyuhyun's room to give his coffee. 

"Kyu, Victoria asked me to make her coffee, but she didn't tell me her preference, so in case she don't like it and complain during the meeting..." 

"Tsk... again.." Kyuhyun looked at the direction of Victoria's temporary desk. 

"It's okay, I was making your coffee anyway.." 

Kyuhyun got up and gave her a quick peck on her lips "I will deal with her" and caress her cheek. Sungmin looked so pretty today, in lilac coloured dress with cute violet coloured flowers around the hem. "We go for dinner tonight? Later you let halmeoni know that you'll be home late, okay" 

"Okayyy" Sungmin smile. Helping Kyuhyun to pack what he needs to bring for his meeting, Sungmin asked "Do you need anything else for the meeting?" 

Kyuhyun checked whether he has everything, then looked up "Oh yes, did Donghae gives you the amended drawing yesterday evening?" 

"Yes he did, I take it now" and Sungmin walked quickly to her desk to retrieve the drawing. Kyuhyun followed behind Sungmin and when Sungmin slot in the drawing in between his arm, as both his hands were occupied, one with his coffee mug and the other with his laptop and notes, he bend forward and pecked her lips again, making Sungmin blushed. Kyuhyun chuckled and smile, and walked off towards the conference room. He purposely did that so that Victoria could see their interaction. 

She grabbed her laptop, notes and coffee, and walked arrogantly towards the conference room. 

"Look at that arrogant China woman! She's only a junior architect yet she behave like a big boss!" Ryeowook was telling Donghae after seeing Victoria walking proudly to the conference room. She was passing a drawing to him from her boss Heechul, and couldn't help talking about that woman. 

"Two days ago I saw her throwing a drawing at Sungmin and talked rudely at her. I think Mr Cho was out at that time. You should tell Sungmin-ssi not to entertain her. She is Mr Cho's secretary and she has no obligation to serve that woman" Donghae said with an angry expression. Even the ever smiling Donghae was annoyed at Victoria's behaviour. 

"Yes, she was very rude to Sungmin-ssi! Yesterday when Sungmin was faxing something, she threw 2 sheets of paper at Sungmin, asking her to do a copy. 2 pages and she can't do it herself? Ohmygod! Sungmin-ssi shouldn't do it. Wook, even your boss saw it, but he was rushing for a meeting. I'm sure he will let Mr Cho know about it" Shindong joined in to talk about Victoria.

Ryeowook shook her head "I'm sure Mr Cho will blow up and scream at that China woman sooner or later. So arrogant.." and Ryeowook turned and walked back to her desk, still shaking her head. 

In the conference room, Heechul was giving an update about a new project which he had received and provided a short summary. Kyuhyun suggested that they combine forces with their head office as the project is very big, comprising of a large condominium with shopping facilities at Goyang province, which is still under Seoul jurisdiction. Heechul agreed and would arrange a call with their big boss, Soo Man. 

After going through all other projects, Heechul then turned towards Victoria and asked her how she find working in their office so far. He was actually quite annoyed with her as he noticed that she was admiring her nails instead of listening to their discussions. 

"Ohh my only complaint is regarding Sungmin-ssi" Victoria said arrogantly. 

Kyuhyun looked up and turned to her. In fact, all architects were looking at her, from Heechul, to Changmin, to Yunho, to Minho. In their mind, they were all having the same thoughts! "Ohmygod this woman, seriously?? She's only a guest here and she dares to complain about Kyuhyun's fiance?" 

"What about Sungmin?" Kyuhyun said in an unfriendly tone. The rest of the architects were expecting Kyuhyun to blow up any moment. 

"She is very stupid, Kyuhyun-ssi! She mess up my coffee, she didn't set up a meeting which I asked her to do between me and China's provincial government office, and she didn't photocopy correctly what I asked her. Where did you get such a stupid secretary?" Victoria gave an arrogant laugh.

Everybody jumped when Kyuhyun banged the table. "In the first place, she is not obligated to help you. She did it out of courtesy. You never gave her proper instructions yet you said she mess it up? Who gives you the permission to ask Sungmin to do your things?? Did you ask me?" by now Kyuhyun's voice can be heard outside the conference room! 

Shindong looked at Donghae and both of them looked at Ryeowook. Ryeowook clapped her hands softly and made a "Serve her right" expression. The rest of the staff also started looking at each other, and even Sungmin came over with a scared face and closing .

"Sungmin-ssi, don't worry, Mr Cho will protect you. He knows that you are not in the wrong" Shindong said, trying not to make Sungmin worried too much. 

"Yes, Sungmin, don't worry, that arrogant woman deserved to be scolded by Mr Cho!" Ryeowook walked over and put her hand around Sungmin's shoulder. She accompanied Sungmin back to her desk and repeatedly told her not to worry. 

Heechul stood up "Victoria, I am very disappointed that our Shanghai office employed you. I thought you will be a great help to Kyuhyun but it doesn't seem like it. Instead of helping and learning, you prefers to treat Sungmin rudely and caused her so much unhappiness. She is an excellent secretary, and she is not only Kyuhyun's secretary, but also Kyuhyun's fiance. I will arrange to end your attachment here, so you can pack your bag and I will get somebody to send you your flight ticket back to Shanghai" Heechul said with a serious tone. 

Victoria was by now became speechless. Not because of her termination of attachment, but because Sungmin is Kyuhyun's fiancee! She never expected that dumb girl to be able to attract such a handsome architect like Kyuhyun! 
She packed her laptop and notebook, and walked out from the conference room. 

When she reached her temporary desk, she gave a death-stare at Sungmin.