Ep 23 - the scar

Secretary Lee

 

All the architects and draughtsmen at SM Architects were busy with projects and stressed with plan submission datelines. Heechul needed to update their head office, so he was pushing all projects to move concurrently, so much so that Kyuhyun didn't even have time to finalise their wedding cards. 

Sungmin told him not to worry, and that she would handle it herself. At times, she couldn't even see Kyuhyun for the remaining of the day, either because he was stuck in a long meeting, or he has to go out with Heechul to their client's office.

Kyuhyun would call her at night but because he was tired, he was dozing off and couldn't talk longer. He missed her terribly but work was equally important to him and as he wanted to complete his project before their wedding day, he had no choice but to concentrate on his project. 

Sungmin had liaised with a wedding card designer company, and they had come up with 3 designs. All 3 designs were lovely, and Sungmin couldn't make up her mind. 

She showed them to halmeoni "Halmeoni, I just want to get your opinion, which of these designs suits us more?" 

Halmeoni took the 3 designs and looked at them. They had taken their dinner on a Friday night, and were sitting at their living room, watching TV. "Which one did Kyuhyun prefers?" halmeoni asked her pretty granddaughter. 

"He is very busy with office projects, halmeoni, so he said he leave it to me" Sungmin smile, albeit sadly.  Luckily Kyuhyun and herself had done their photoshoot with their wedding outfit, so 3 of the photos were used for these wedding card samples. 

Halmeoni pitied her granddaughter so of course she would help. She started to look more closely at the 3 designs. 

Card A was in a lovely rose white coloured card, with Kyuhyun and Sungmin holding hands and walking along a river as the background of the front cover, with a pretty heartshaped border decorating the photo with flowers.  Inside the card was the invitation details with soft coloured pink hearts decorating the entire centrefold. 

Card B was in a pretty baby blue coloured card, with embossed birds of paradise flying, and with embossed wedding bands placed on a nest of pretty baby's breath flowers, at the lower right corner of the card. Inside the card, there was another paper, and the left side was a beautiful photo of Kyuhyun and Sungmin facing at each other, smiling happily with Kyuhyun's hand holding her hand. In-between them was a beautiful poem, with words of love and everlasting matrimony. On the right side were the details of the invitation. 

Halmeoni like both of these two cards, though she preferred Card B. She took Card C next, and Card C have photos of Kyuhyun and Sungmin both on the card cover as well as on the inside of the card. The card was in lilac-pinkish coloured, with small stars and hearts decorating the centrefold. 

Halmeoni smile and looked up at Sungmin. "I know that you prefers Card A...." 

"Yes, but I cannot just think of me. And I don't think Kyu will like that design..." 

"Think from the point of view of your guests. For you, your guests will be family members. For Kyuhyun, his guests will be both family and his acquaintances from the architectural fields. What I'm trying to say is, his guests are mostly professionals and high ranking officers. So which card design is more appropriate for these kind of guests?" halmeoni urged Sungmin to think. 

"Hmmm, in terms of professional look, Card B is more appropriate. It's designed is soft, yet it delivers the message of love and marriage" Sungmin said, after thinking from all aspects and comparing the 3 designs again. 

"That's right, my dear Sungminnie! Card B is a wiser choice. Card A is more feminine, and Card C is too loud. I'm sure Kyuhyun will be happy with Card B too" 

Sungmin smile happily "Thank you, halmeoni!! I'm happy with Card B too. It gives that 'wow' feeling when our guests open the card to see inside, and saw our photo and the poem. It is so well done!" 

They talked a while more about the invitation details and after an hour, halmeoni retired to her room to rest and to sleep. 

Sungmin dimmed off their living room lights and continued to watch TV. She got a shocked when her phone rang as it was nearly midnight, and smile when she saw it was Kyuhyun calling. 

"You are still up?" his low baritone voice sound so gorgeous in Sungmin's ear. 

"Heyyy Kyu. Yeah, I'm watching TV. Halmeoni went to her room already. Have you reach home?" Sungmin asked. 

"No..." 

"What? You are still in the office?" 

Kyuhyun laughed "No..., I'm outside your house" 

"Ohmygod really??!!" and Sungmin quickly got up and ran and opened the front door. 

True enough, Kyuhyun was there standing, smiling at her, still holding his phone. 

"Kyu!!!" Sungmin said happily, and threw herself at him and hugged him. 

Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around her tightly and leaned his head down against her head "I miss you"

"I miss you too. Come in..." 

Sungmin gently pulled him in and got him to sit. He looked tired but still so handsome. She turned around to go to the kitchen to make him a cup of hot camomile tea. 

Kyuhyun caught her hand while leaning back his head on the backrest "Where are you going? Sit here" and gently pulled her to sit next to him. 

"I want to make you a cup of hot camomile tea. It's good for tired minds" she smile at him. 

"Later...., I just want you to stay here for a while..." he said tiredly, and just looking at her fondly. He half smile and traced her face and tidy up her fringe slowly. 

"Kyu, you look so tired. Why don't you just sleep here? You can sleep in Appa's room..." 

"Can I sleep with you...?" he asked cheekily. Somehow just holding and looking at her had recharged some of his batteries. 

Sungmin playfully beat him "Of course not..." 

Kyuhyun laughed and pulled her nearer to kiss her. He put his hand behind her neck and kissed her, pouring everything from his heart. 

"I'm so in love with you..." he whispered and hugged her, letting her head to rest on his chest. 

Sungmin felt so loved and being in his arms really made her feel better. She has been missing him but she kept reminding herself that he has other priorities and she needed to understand this and to trust him. 

"Have you eaten?" suddenly she remembered that he has been working and probably haven't had his dinner. 

"Yeah, Donghae ordered 6 large pizza boxes and after eating 3 slices, my mouth smell of capsicums. So I went to brush my teeth...." he laughed. 

"Ohh they also stayed till late at night?" Sungmin asked, referring to the draughtsmen. 

"Yeah, hyung asked them if they are okay to stay since it was Friday night, and they all unanimously said okay. I guess they knew of the datelines and the many changes that we have to make. You know, like when our client changed their mind about their floor area at the ground level, all the upper levels area plans also need to be changed?" and when Sungmin nodded with understanding, Kyuhyun continued "So there are really a lot to be changed, and I did remind hyung to add the overtime pay into their salaries".

"I feel bad that we secretaries went home on time, yet almost everybody else stayed back" Sungmin said sadly. 

"Don't be. The busy parts are solely on the architectural aspect of the work, so you all are already helping a lot by arranging our meetings and ensuring that other stuff are in order. You yourself has to run to and fro to the compactus whenever I needed previous plans. I feel bad too".

"It's part of the job..." 

"After our honeymoon, I won't allow that, especially if you are expecting. I'll get the guys to do it" 

"Aisshhh Kyu, why are you always talking about me being pregnant. It might not happen after our honeymoon..." Sungmin said shyly. 

"Well, if we do it in 3 days in a row, I think we will have high chance..." Kyuhyun said and burst out laughing when Sungmin pinched him. 

She got up "I'll make the  camomile tea..." and practically running away. 

Kyuhyun laughed. He loved to and he felt recharged now. He remembered he got a set of attire in his duffel bag in his car. He went to the kitchen "Min, I go to my car to take my bag okay, be right back....."

"Okay" Sungmin turned around but the man has gone. She was glad that Kyuhyun agreed to sleep over. He looked tired and she would get worried if he drove home alone. 

Kyuhyun took his bath in Sungmin's room's bathroom (he gave 10001 excuses that he's been to Sungmin's room before so he was familiar with her room) and came out fresh and happy. Happy because the bathroom is full of Sungmin's smell and he loved it! 

Sungmin walked in with a pair of pajamas for Kyuhyun at the same time when Kyuhyun came out from her bathroom. He looked so handsome with his ruffled hair and some water dripping on to his body. But, he was just with a towel, and nothing else. 

"Ohh, I'm sorry Kyu, I... I.. just want to give you these pajamas"

"Why do you turn away...?" 

"You are half...ermm... .." 

Kyuhyun chuckled. "You'll see me like this everyday next time" 

Sungmin slowly turned around and smile shyly, and pass him the pajamas. "Kyu, if I may ask, how did you get that scar?" 

 Kyuhyun looked down to his chest "Ohhh, it's ugly isn't it" 

"No, not at all. I'm just curious..." 

Kyuhyun put on his pajama, and led his fiancé to sit on the bed "It happened long time ago, think I was still in junior school. I was waiting for appa, then there was this mini school bus which stopped near to me, opened it's door and little girls started coming down, talking and laughing among each other"

"Ohhh..." Sungmin said with a thinking expression. 

"There was this pretty little girl in pink hat, looking at me and smile, but then her hat got blown away by the wind. I tried to catch it but it flew towards the road. I dashed for it but i was knocked down by an incoming car. I only remembered that my chest was in terrible pain and the last thing I saw was the pink hat that I was holding"

"OhmyGod" Sungmin closed , in shock. 

"It turned out that 4 of my right ribs were broken and appa told me that doctors had to open up my chest to save me, so this scar was because of that operation" 

Sungmin was still in shock. She stared at Kyuhyun, making Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows at her "I was okay, don't worry. I recovered well" 

"Kyu.... you... you were that boy..." 

"Hmmm??" 

"You were that boy who ran after my pink hat... because of me, that car knocked you down...." Sungmin tears came down and she started to sob. 

"Min, what are you talking about...?" 

"I... I.. was that girl...." 

​​​​​​