Chapter 28 - Out

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Why are you here?"

 

Joohyun's cold tone had Wendy's attention, turning to her girlfriend, wondering the reason behind the sudden change of composure.

 

"Can't I see my sister? We haven't met once since you are back from Japan. You met everyone, even mom." Jooyeon didn't back down, her burning gaze fixated at the linking hands of the couple.

 

As much as Wendy wanted to calm the two, though Wendy figured it was best to leave the sisters.

 

The introduction could wait.

 

As Joohyun felt the loosening grip from Seungwan, she turned toward her girlfriend with a frown, though made no attempt to hold back Seungwan's hand.

 

"It's nice meeting you, Jooyeon. I'll leave you two to it." Wendy kept her composure, the smile never faded as she excused herself, then glanced toward her girlfriend.

 

Once the lovers' eyes met, Wendy's eyebrows arched up, broadening her smile as she said, hoping to control her girlfriend's temper.

 

Joohyun's glare softened at Seungwan's gaze.

 

Joohyun quickly mirrored the dazzling smile of Seungwan, nodding her head at Seungwan.

 

The couple didn't notice the scowl on Jooyeon or they chose to ignore.

 

Jooyeon made no effort on disguising her disapproval on her face.

 

As the couple lost in their own world.

 

Jooyeon didn't say a word as she watched the couple bid goodbye to each other, continued to stand there to send Wendy away as she drove away.

 

Watching a giggle left her sister's mouth when Seungwan waved her goodbye comically at her sister.

 

Joohyun was too engrossed in returning the wave to notice the clenching fist of her younger sister.

 

Jooyeon didn't wait another second as Wendy's car disappeared from her sight, asking that one question in her mind.

 

It had been two years since Wendy and Jooyeon sent Joohyun off.

 

"Why doesn't she recognise me?"

 

"She lost her memory." Joohyun shifted her attention to her taller yet younger sister, the enthusiasm was long gone, along with Seungwan's departure. "You should've texted me."

 

"She is wearing your pajamas. Did she stay over last night?" Jooyeon could felt herself throwing up as she asked this.

 

Hoping her sister to say "no", despite Jooyeon knew the answer already.

 

Anything but that.

 

Jooyeon thought they already stopped contacting each other.

 

Joohyun already rejected Seungwan.

 

Which part did Seungwan not understand?

 

"I need to change." Joohyun ignored the question and walked past the younger, knowing her sister would follow her.

 

As Jooyeon walked into her sister's room, she saw the blanket scattered around the room, though smelled nothing special.

 

Jooyeon was relieved to not smell anything.

 

You know, the smell of after work.

 

"Turn around. I'll change."

 

Jooyeon was shoved around, had no choice but to face the door.

 

Joohyun opened her wardobe, glanced at her clothes, grabbing a light blue t-shirt and a pairs of ripped jeans, started changing. "Where do you want to go later?"

 

"What happened to her?" Jooyeon tapped her feet while she was waiting her sister, trying to get to the bottom of the whole truth.

 

"She got into an accident while running, and she got a concussion." Joohyun was changing herself into the ripped jeans.

 

"She doesn't remember anything?" Jooyeon turned around right after Joohyun announced she finished changing, seeing her sister was applying make up, drawing the eyebrows.

 

Joohyun whose focus was on the mirror nodded, then, picked up a lipstick, starting to apply it on her lips.

 

This was the lipstick which Seungwan liked.

 

"I don't mind if you help me to apply lipstick like this."

 

Joohyun wanted to suppress her smile from the fond memory as she applied the lipstick.

 

Jooyeon noticed the splitting smile on her sister's face, didn't have to second guess the reason behind the smile. "I thought you two stopped talking when you left to Japan."

 

Joohyun checked herself for the last time on the mirror, straightened up from the table. "We only got back in contact few months ago."

 

"So, where do you wanna go?" Joohyun turned around to face her sister whom she didn't see in few years.

 

But also, whom she wasn't really keen to see.

 

If she was being trully honest.

 

 

As Wendy was driving back home, the short exchange between Bae sisters left Wendy deep in thought.

 

Wendy couldn't understand the reason of Joohyun being so withdrawn toward Jooyeon's appearance.

 

And most importantly, Jooyeon was unwelcoming toward Wendy's presence.

 

She sighed at the thought of it.

 

Of course, there were people who still couldn't accept them.

 

There would always be fight.

 

The endless fight for equality.

 

Fight for acceptance.

 

Fight for love.

 

She still desperately hoped her instinct would fail her this time.

 

She stopped her wandering mind as she parked the car into the driveway, stepping out from her car.

 

"You are early." Yeri swung open the front door as she heard the engine being switched off in the driveway. "I thought you two would be inseparable."

 

The smirk on the devil's face was asking a punch, so Wendy gave it what it wanted.

 

Shoving her palm into the face while she walked through the door.

 

Yeri's friends who all settled around the dinner table greeted Wendy enthusiastically. "Seungwan Unnie!"

 

"You guys are up early, I thought you guys would watch movie till midnight." Wendy smiled as she walked toward the dinner table.

 

There were five of them excluding her sister, all were Yeri's classmates. They called themselves "The Five". The other four loved Wendy, always bugging Yeri to ask Wendy to join their outing. Yeri would always be annoyed by the request. Though her action spoke differently, occasionally asked her sister to join them. Wendy, of course, would join them if her schedule allowed her to do so.

 

"We did. But, someone forgot to switch off her alarm and woke us all up. We slept on 3am. For god's sake." Jennie accusingly pointed her fork toward Lisa who sat at the end of the table.

 

Lisa sheepishly smiled and continued to eat her breakfast.

 

"Unnie, I thought we can meet the beautiful girlfriend of yours." Rose wiggled her eyebrows while nudging Wendy's stomach with her elbow.

 

Wendy rolled her eyes, immediately head-locked Yeri who just settled back to her seat. "You told them?"

 

Yeri struggled to free herself from the strangle, stretching out her hand, choking for air.

 

Her sister was an athlete, how on earth could she overpower the athlete.

 

"Guys, need a little bit help here." Yeri coughed as she said. The other four shrugged, turning their attention back to the breakfast, clearing whatever was on their plate.

 

Yeri widened her eyes at her friends who made absolutely no effort.

 

They had no intention to save her, apparently.

 

Despite she spilled her sister's secret for them.

 

Bunch of bastards.

 

Wendy, then, released her grip. The victim quickly scrambled for air, her chest puffing heavily, glaring toward her friends.

 

Maybe it was time to disband The Five.

 

"I'll go freshen up, and mind if I join you guys later?"

 

The group shouted. "NOT AT ALL!"

 

Wendy chuckled and hushed them. "Guys, it's still 10am. Neighbors might kill us if we didn't let them sleep at all. Since you guys stayed up, literally, all night."

 

 

"What do you think?" Jooyeon hanged the shirt in front of her body, turning around to ask her sister's opinion.

 

"It looks great on you." Joohyun stole a glance and resumed to find something caught her eyes, obviously wasn't paying attention.

 

She wondered what was Seungwan doing.

 

And, she knew she would enjoy the shopping more if Seungwan was there.

 

So, she fished out her phone to text her girlfriend.

 

"2pm :

Irene: Have you arrived home? Why aren't you texting me? :( "

 

"Who are you texting?" Jooyeon saw her sister's action through mirror and asked.

 

"Seungwan. I wanted to know whether if she arrives." Joohyun answered and quickly put it back to her pocket, not wanting her sister to peek at their conversation.

 

"What are you two, now?"

 

Hearing the tone and the question from Jooyeon, Joohyun snapped. "We're dating."

 

Luckily, there weren't many people in the shop.

 

Jooyeon's eyes widened as she heard her sister, her head whipped to her sister as she said.

 

"I thought you said you don't have feelings with her."

 

Jooyeon hissed quietly, glancing around, absolutely didn't want anyone to overhear their conversation. Jooyeon would rather Joohyun to lie to her, instead of just admitting their relationship.

 

"I'm with her now. Get over it." Joohyun didn't want to explain to her sister, as she knew Jooyeon would never understand. Joohyun stomped out of the shop, walking toward a bench, and sat down.

 

Joohyun had it enough.

 

"Unnie." Jooyeon waved her hand to get Joohyun's attention.

 

Joohyun jolted as she was startled, quickly bringing back her attention to her younger sister who sat in front of her.

 

"What are you thinking? You seemed out of it."  Jooyeon had never seen her sister being lost in thought before.

 

"Seungwan... she confessed to me."  Joohyun glanced around to ensure their relatives weren't there to listen their conversation.

 

The sisters left home in a young age, as their house was quite far from the city area of Daegu. Their relatives were kind enough to ask them to live at the house, as it was nearer to the school.

 

They lived at different relative's house as their school were different and far apart. Yet, they met up every weekend.

 

Without parents staying beside them, Joohyun was technically Jooyeon's parent despite the age difference of 3 years. And, much to Joohyun's dismay, Jooyeon's height seemed to grow non-stop after puberty, meanwhile Joohyun stopped growing in the age of 15 years.

 

One of the nickname to Jooyeon from Joohyun was giant.

 

"She likes girls?" Jooyeon knitted her eyebrows as her sister told her the information, obviously wasn't comfortable about it.

 

Joohyun noticed the disapproval look from her younger sister, wanting to defend Seungwan.

 

"She came out to me, long time ago. I just never thought I would be her type."

 

"This explains why you two are inseparable. She is very fond of you." Jooyeon voiced out her thoughts.

 

"Did you reject her?" Jooyeon asked right away, thinking that her sister was, in fact, very straight as her sister had a few flings in the past.

 

All men.

 

And why, on earth, would there be girls liking girls?

 

Joohyun noticed the coldness reflected in her sister's tone, quickly replied. "Of course, I did."

 

"Good, She will get over it. It's just a silly crush." Jooyeon quickly dismissed the topic, making it clear that she didn't want to talk about this topic. "I found this shop, newly opened in the mall. Let's go there, next Saturday."

 

The quick change of topic from Jooyeon didn't go unnoticed by Joohyun. Joohyun, of course, went along with it. "Sure."

 

Though feeling slightly disappointed at her sister's unsupportive attitude toward Seungwan.

 

"She came and chased after you again, did she?" Jooyeon quickly stepping out from the shop, following and settling beside her sister, accused Seungwan.

 

She thought Seungwan was the one who caused her sister to be like this.

 

People only noticed, acknowledged what they wanted to see and made decisions from it.

 

It was easier from understanding the whole story.

 

"Like last time, before you left to Japan."

 

Hearing the accusations made up by her sister, Joohyun lost her cool.

 

"I'm the one who reached out to her. She didn't know my presence before I reached out to her." Joohyun still tried to control her anger though, not wanting to cause a scene in the public.

 

"Isn't it for the best? That she doesn't remember you. Unnie, it's just a phase, we are all confused at some point. You just haven't met the right guy yet." Jooyeon started to reason, thinking there are enough dramas in their family.

 

Wouldn't want to have her elder sister to be another problem to the family.

 

"Jooyeon, you know it's not like that. If it was the case, I would've just accepted Bogum's confession back then, in Japan." Joohyun's nostril flared with anger as she said that.

 

Why couldn't they understand that?

 

Joohyun wanted to try.

 

And, it didn't feel right.

 

Seungwan never left her mind after she left to Japan.

 

They told Joohyun she would forget about Seungwan once she left Seungwan.

 

Once she arrived in a totally new environment.

 

"Think about uncle, you know how hard.." Jooyeon continued nevertheless.

 

"Don't bring uncle into this. It's my matter. There's nothing to do with them." Joohyun snapped as it was her last straw to drag the uncle into this.

 

They were trying to guilt-trip her again.

 

Like last time.

 

Jooyeon was surprised to see such demeanour change in her sister, deciding to keep shut.

 

Nevertheless, Joohyun was still her elder sister who took care of her when they were staying in relatives' house.

 

Her respect toward her elder sister would always be there.

 

And also, Joohyun was scary when she was angry.

 

Jooyeon, of course, wasn't really pleased to hear Seungwan confessed to her sister the second time.

 

"Seungwan, s-she confessed again..."

 

Jooyeon still remembered the dread in Joohyun's voice.

 

"Why would she confess again, when you already rejected her last time?"

 

Joohyun could only stay mum, couldn't bring herself to tell Jooyeon Seungwan confessed again because she wrote Seungwan a letter.

 

Giving Seungwan a false hope.

 

Misleading Seungwan.

 

After Seungwan pointed her out.

 

"I...I"

 

Jooyeon noticed the conflicts flashed on her elder sister's face, sensing her sister was, in fact, in dilemma of her own feelings toward Seungwan.

 

This only indicated her sister was, indeed, having feelings toward Seungwan.

 

Too.

 

But, she wouldn't let her sister to go there.

 

To choose the wrong path.

 

She would help her sister.

 

Showing her the right, correct, normal way.

 

"Unnie, don't even think about it. Mum willn't be able to take it." Jooyeon didn't wait Joohyun to finish. "It's just a phase, you are just confused because you has been spending time with her 24/7."

 

Jooyeon held out her hand to grab her sister's palm, getting Joohyun's attention. "You would forget her in a blink of eye, after you reach Japan."

 

"When she disappears in your life."

 

The finality in her sister's tone made Joohyun believed.

 

Knowing it wasn't right in the first place.

 

How could there be a girl falling for a girl.

 

She wouldn't want to disappoint her mother.

 

Couldn't bring herself either.

 

So, she did as her sister told.

 

She rejected Seungwan again.

 

They went to grab a cup of coffee as both of them were too heated to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter